MG cars Thailand

Felt 35

Thanks for all the replies...….I who started to think nobody would bother. Seems from most of the replies I should go Japanese but then again my father went from Volkswagen Passat to Mazda 626 mid 70's and the neighbors thought he had gone mad when buying Japanese so as one poster mentioned with time I guess the MG will be on line with the Japanese and Korean cars. Besides I want "something else" now so will se what on offer second hand.

Felt

7 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Old article about old models. The new ones2018/9 look great are a good price, but I know no more. They have nothing to do with the looks of I guess performance ofMGs of yore. They are now family cars with the MG badge bought by the Chinese, built in China. I believe the design team is still UK based but that's the be all and end all of the MG connection.

Yes but OP said he is looking for a 2014-18 model?

A 2014 must be cheap, real cheap

I was hoping somebody would comment on their personal experience of owning and running the marque as the OP requested. However, I have managed to find out that the interior is poor and they use cheap plastic plus the 1.8 petrol engine is thirsty at just 34 MPG. In the UK they launched in 2015 a 1.9 Turbo Diesel engine returning 60 MPG but that doesn't seem available in Thailand. Can't find any people complaining of reliability or any ongoing issues.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

MG now 100% a ChiCom car.  So good luck—you’ll need it.  BTW, had a BRG MGB in college—loved that POS.

You old car snobs are just that snobs

The last car I has in oz was Cerato Koup. Absolutely brilliant. More features than my mates Audi. new ones now 7 years unlimited mileage Warranty… admittedly Korean made not Chinese...but give them a couple of years and you will  soon be eating you words. The Chinese are very, very clever. and Very, very competitive.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Trans
Seem to remember you saying a friend of yours bought an MG ZS ?
How is he getting on with it ??

I see a lot of these ( ZS ) around where I live.

He just says it's great.....:whistling:

But I do recall, when he told me he was going to buy one, something like he was brave buying a new Chinese brand car, he did say, well it has a 4 year warranty...I later found out that in the UK they have a 7 year warranty...That to me raised a question mark...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Hi, I remember when the Hyundai and Kia hit the markets in Oz, Chinese and Korean rubbish don't by em.  Well, given time, these vehicles today are just as reliable as the big names, Hyundai is biting at the heels of Toyota now in Oz for sales. As far as MG goes, yes, has little association with original name, as now designed and manufactured in China, however given time I think you will see the brand climb its way up the ladder and join the big boys. I have looked at their SUV and it has a lot of features that even some of the big names don't offer in base models. 

My mom just sold her 2008 MANUAL hyundai elantra for 4k$ in canada(i didnt even think she'd get 1k$)

People have woken up to other brands than toyota/honda

• Like 1

He just says it's great.....:whistling:

But I do recall, when he told me he was going to buy one, something like he was brave buying a new Chinese brand car, he did say, well it has a 4 year warranty...I later found out that in the UK they have a 7 year warranty...That to me raised a question mark...

I must admit I had a look at one.

It’s a good looking car, cheap and well equipped but the 4 speed auto box kinda put me off plus some bad resale values.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I must admit I had a look at one.

It’s a good looking car, cheap and well equipped but the 4 speed auto box kinda put me off plus some bad resale values.

Tap the wings and hood, you will feel where money was saved..Do not tap the hood to hard as it may dent...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Trans
Seem to remember you saying a friend of yours bought an MG ZS ?
How is he getting on with it ??

I see a lot of these ( ZS ) around where I live.

In my Village 67 houses, there are 3 houses with the ZS and 1 with the GS, all of them replaced Toyota's 

50 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Try pushing the roof and bonnet of a Civic.  Like a beer can it is.

Yes, because it isn't a load-bearing surface is it?

Girlfriend and I did the horizontal mambo on the roof of a rental Chevy Malibu on the beach in the US. Luckily for us, the guy doing the rental-return damage check was a short-ass.