Social Security benefits for Minor Child

EVENKEEL

Anyone here collecting SS benefits for yourself and your minor Thai born child. I'm getting ready to apply and wondered if anybody has any advice. I'll be 62 with an 8 yr old Thai born with US passport and SS card. My understanding is child's benefit is equal to half of what your benefit would be at age 66 1/2 yr even though you collect at age 62.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gob-smacked, but it seems so (one half, subject to family maximums).  Start reading here:  https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/v71n1p1.html  Look around the social security web site, as info is there.  Pay attention to the word "insured", as that might mean Medicare eligibility and age is relevant.

I'm going to have another kid (NOT!).  I'm on Medicare as of age 65, will be on SS income next month at (my) full retirement age of 66.  I won't spend it all in one place ...  maybe Pattaya and Chaing Mai. Beer money, 555.  Can I still have good time on 2,200 Baht a day? 

Oh, and the benefit age slides around.  I'm an old fart, so 66 was the full benefit age.  My wife is a wee bit younger, so her full retirement age will be 66 1/2 I think.  They move the goal post. You can go out at 62, but they cut the payment.  OK if you plan on checking out early or really need it, though I didn't.  

I just applied on-line a few days ago.  Lots of silly questions, but it beat going into their office. 

8 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Interesting.

I turn 62 this year and have a 16 year old.

What did you find out?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've got an appointment with SS to sign up myself and my 8 yr old. Supposed to pay an additional 50% or so.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm gob-smacked, but it seems so (one half, subject to family maximums).  Start reading here:  https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/v71n1p1.html  Look around the social security web site, as info is there.  Pay attention to the word "insured", as that might mean Medicare eligibility and age is relevant.

I'm going to have another kid (NOT!).  I'm on Medicare as of age 65, will be on SS income next month at (my) full retirement age of 66.  I won't spend it all in one place ...  maybe Pattaya and Chaing Mai. Beer money, 555.  Can I still have good time on 2,200 Baht a day? 

Oh, and the benefit age slides around.  I'm an old fart, so 66 was the full benefit age.  My wife is a wee bit younger, so her full retirement age will be 66 1/2 I think.  They move the goal post. You can go out at 62, but they cut the payment.  OK if you plan on checking out early or really need it, though I didn't.  

I just applied on-line a few days ago.  Lots of silly questions, but it beat going into their office. 

At 62 I take my blue cross health ins with me into retirement for $230/mo. Filing for my daughter makes this a little more difficult, but will be worth it for her. Will be a nice little sum for college.

2 hours ago, Klong Song said:

I collected SS for my daughter while she was still in high school. You have to jump through some hoops but nothing too difficult. The most important thing is she/he will need a bank account in the States. 

So the money for your daughter went directly into her bank account. I'll get it all worked out regardless the hoops.

So the money for your daughter went directly into her bank account. I'll get it all worked out regardless the hoops.

Yes, it has to go into a US bank account with her/his name on it and she/he has to be a us citizen. Your son/daughter can collect until the age of 18. Or with an extension he/she can collect until he/she finishes high school or turns 19, whichever comes first. Your name should be on the account as well. At least at the bank I was using I couldn’t transfer money out of her account directly to Thailand (I think this is to prevent fraud) so I opened another account at the same bank in my name only then transferred from her account to my account then to my account at the Bangkok bank in NYC. This all took place about seven years ago and Manila made it fairly easy once you jumped through all the hoops they have set up to prevent fraud They will send you a form every year asking you if you used all the money for the support of your son/daughter or if you saved or invested funds for later. Answer that you used it all and it will save you having to answer any questions about how the money was used when he/she stops collecting benefits. They don’t like the idea of you investing the money or putting it in an interest bearing account. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived