Jump to content
BANGKOK
EVENKEEL

Social Security benefits for Minor Child

Recommended Posts

Anyone here collecting SS benefits for yourself and your minor Thai born child. I'm getting ready to apply and wondered if anybody has any advice. I'll be 62 with an 8 yr old Thai born with US passport and SS card. My understanding is child's benefit is equal to half of what your benefit would be at age 66 1/2 yr even though you collect at age 62.

Share this post


Link to post

Really, no one getting extra $$ for their under 18 yr old kid. Huhhh.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting.

I turn 62 this year and have a 16 year old.

What did you find out?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Share this post


Link to post

I collected SS for my daughter while she was still in high school. You have to jump through some hoops but nothing too difficult. The most important thing is she/he will need a bank account in the States. 

Edited by Klong Song
Addition

Share this post


Link to post

I'm gob-smacked, but it seems so (one half, subject to family maximums).  Start reading here:  https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/v71n1p1.html  Look around the social security web site, as info is there.  Pay attention to the word "insured", as that might mean Medicare eligibility and age is relevant.

 

I'm going to have another kid (NOT!).  I'm on Medicare as of age 65, will be on SS income next month at (my) full retirement age of 66.  I won't spend it all in one place ...  maybe Pattaya and Chaing Mai. Beer money, 555.  Can I still have good time on 2,200 Baht a day? 

 

Oh, and the benefit age slides around.  I'm an old fart, so 66 was the full benefit age.  My wife is a wee bit younger, so her full retirement age will be 66 1/2 I think.  They move the goal post. You can go out at 62, but they cut the payment.  OK if you plan on checking out early or really need it, though I didn't.  

 

I just applied on-line a few days ago.  Lots of silly questions, but it beat going into their office. 

 

 

Edited by Damrongsak

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Interesting.

I turn 62 this year and have a 16 year old.

What did you find out?


Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I've got an appointment with SS to sign up myself and my 8 yr old. Supposed to pay an additional 50% or so.

Share this post


Link to post
I've got an appointment with SS to sign up myself and my 8 yr old. Supposed to pay an additional 50% or so.


Does it cut off at 18 or does it go higher if they are in university?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I'm gob-smacked, but it seems so (one half, subject to family maximums).  Start reading here:  https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v71n1/v71n1p1.html  Look around the social security web site, as info is there.  Pay attention to the word "insured", as that might mean Medicare eligibility and age is relevant.

 

I'm going to have another kid (NOT!).  I'm on Medicare as of age 65, will be on SS income next month at (my) full retirement age of 66.  I won't spend it all in one place ...  maybe Pattaya and Chaing Mai. Beer money, 555.  Can I still have good time on 2,200 Baht a day? 

 

Oh, and the benefit age slides around.  I'm an old fart, so 66 was the full benefit age.  My wife is a wee bit younger, so her full retirement age will be 66 1/2 I think.  They move the goal post. You can go out at 62, but they cut the payment.  OK if you plan on checking out early or really need it, though I didn't.  

 

I just applied on-line a few days ago.  Lots of silly questions, but it beat going into their office. 

 

 

At 62 I take my blue cross health ins with me into retirement for $230/mo. Filing for my daughter makes this a little more difficult, but will be worth it for her. Will be a nice little sum for college.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

 


Does it cut off at 18 or does it go higher if they are in university?

 

It goes a bit beyond 18 if they are Uni students. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Klong Song said:

I collected SS for my daughter while she was still in high school. You have to jump through some hoops but nothing too difficult. The most important thing is she/he will need a bank account in the States. 

So the money for your daughter went directly into her bank account. I'll get it all worked out regardless the hoops.

Share this post


Link to post
So the money for your daughter went directly into her bank account. I'll get it all worked out regardless the hoops.

Yes, it has to go into a US bank account with her/his name on it and she/he has to be a us citizen. Your son/daughter can collect until the age of 18. Or with an extension he/she can collect until he/she finishes high school or turns 19, whichever comes first. Your name should be on the account as well. At least at the bank I was using I couldn’t transfer money out of her account directly to Thailand (I think this is to prevent fraud) so I opened another account at the same bank in my name only then transferred from her account to my account then to my account at the Bangkok bank in NYC. This all took place about seven years ago and Manila made it fairly easy once you jumped through all the hoops they have set up to prevent fraud They will send you a form every year asking you if you used all the money for the support of your son/daughter or if you saved or invested funds for later. Answer that you used it all and it will save you having to answer any questions about how the money was used when he/she stops collecting benefits. They don’t like the idea of you investing the money or putting it in an interest bearing account. Good luck.

 

 

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/21/2019 at 7:17 AM, EVENKEEL said:

It goes a bit beyond 18 if they are Uni students. 

Actually I think they cannot be above grade 12 secondary school

Who can get child’s benefits?

Your unmarried child can get benefits if they’re:

• Younger than age 18;• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12);

 

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

Edited by meechai

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, meechai said:

Actually I think they cannot be above grade 12 secondary school

Who can get child’s benefits?

Your unmarried child can get benefits if they’re:

• Younger than age 18;• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12);

 

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf

OK, I'll take it....

Share this post


Link to post
Actually I think they cannot be above grade 12 secondary school
Who can get child’s benefits?
Your unmarried child can get benefits if they’re:
• Younger than age 18;• 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12);
 
https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10085.pdf


Bummer that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...