where am i going wrong

I am in the middle of submitting an application for an O/A visa and cant get past the passport and recent photo page, I got the wife to take some photos with her phone to download to the PC, i scanned my passport and the THAIEVISA site has accepted it but it refuses to accept my photo, i have resized it to comply with the file size the application accepts, I converted it from PNG to JPEG, it keeps coming up with the error "Support jpg & jpeg only". the photos are all jpeg but when i press save to continue to step 4, it has deleted the photo, I have been at this for hours, resizing again and again, checking its definetly a jpeg but cant go any further....HELP

OP, what website are you uploading photos to ? That is not usually part of the process to get an OA visa in home country.

Sounds like you may be using an agents website, not a Thai consulate website.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, what website are you uploading photos to ? That is not usually part of the process to get an OA visa in home country.

Sounds like you may be using an agents website, not a Thai consulate website.

Thaievisa.go.th, this is where people from the UK have to apply, you submit the application online, print off the barcode and send it with your passport, the barcode allows the embassy in London to access the documents.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

thats exactly where i am doing it, this is the correct process Joe?

A friend of mine rung me up a few nights ago, he had just got a SE Non O. He said he had problems with the application, kept freezing on visa type. He said he changed to the Hull consulate and the application completed. As Hull do not do Non Os the application had to forwarded to London for approval and he was then told he would have to take his passport to Hull, the post was not an option at that time because of technical difficulties. The guy at Hull said he was lucky only coming from Sheffield, he had people from all over the country.

Sounds like there is some real problems with the software so it may be worth while checking with the embassy on current state of play.

PS. Posts crossed, hope all is well now.

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

A friend of mine rung me up a few nights ago, he had just got a SE Non O. He said he had problems with the application, kept freezing on visa type. He said he changed to the Hull consulate and the application completed. As Hull do not do Non Os the application had to forwarded to London for approval and he was then told he would have to take his passport to Hull, the post was not an option at that time because of technical difficulties. The guy at Hull said he was lucky only coming from Sheffield, he had people from all over the country.

Sounds like there is some real problems with the software so it may be worth while checking with the embassy on current state of play.

i didnt qualify for the O/A originally because the sale proceeds from our house hadnt been in the bank account for 3 months, i presume they use 3 months as to stop people borrowing the money for the application, then returning it afterwards, so Glasgow granted me a 90 day non-imm O, now the moneys been in the bank for 3 months, i am now doing the online retirement O/A but there is glitches in their software.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Don't put too much faith in error messages. Maybe it's not really about "Support jpg & jpeg only". Check the file properties to verify that the print size matches the requirement in inches or centimeters. 

Also check that the file photo.jpg Is a jpg. Sometimes there is a hidden suffix eg x.jpg.png

4 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

i didnt qualify for the O/A originally because the sale proceeds from our house hadnt been in the bank account for 3 months, i presume they use 3 months as to stop people borrowing the money for the application, then returning it afterwards, so Glasgow granted me a 90 day non-imm O, now the moneys been in the bank for 3 months, i am now doing the online retirement O/A but there is glitches in their software.

I take it you got the Non O before the online arrangement. I think the software was amended a bit for London from the Chinese version so not sure if it has ever worked properly in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I take it you got the Non O before the online arrangement. I think the software was amended a bit for London from the Chinese version so not sure if it has ever worked properly in the UK. 

yes i sent Glasgow the stuff she needed and got the nonO within a couple of days, that was in May, i think the online thing was introduced recently

5 minutes ago, brianj1964 said:

yes i sent Glasgow the stuff she needed and got the nonO within a couple of days, that was in May, i think the online thing was introduced recently

It came in back in June but may not have been used that much so far. The real test will come with people like my friend coming over for the winter trying to get their visas. He comes in October for 5 months, 3 month Non O and 60 day extension. Like me he is getting on a bit and found the online arrangement a real hassle. next year he is talking about coming visa exempt and going to Laos for a visa. Of course online is supposed to be progress. Good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It came in back in June but may not have been used that much so far. The real test will come with people like my friend coming over for the winter trying to get their visas. He comes in October for 5 months, 3 month Non O and 60 day extension. Like me he is getting on a bit and found the online arrangement a real hassle. next year he is talking about coming visa exempt and going to Laos for a visa. Of course online is supposed to be progress. Good luck.

the online visa looked easy until i got to the document submitting page, they are now asking for proof that i am a permanent UK resident, i dont know how to do that, i sold my house in May so have no mortgage or household bills in my name, i am currently staying with my parents who are both 80+ years old

2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

the online visa looked easy until i got to the document submitting page, they are now asking for proof that i am a permanent UK resident, i dont know how to do that, i sold my house in May so have no mortgage or household bills in my name, i am currently staying with my parents who are both 80+ years old

On my own application it just asked for proof that "I was a UK citizen" and not proof of residency, which is just a repeat upload of your biopage from your passport. If it's actually asking for proof of a permanent UK address (which isn't the same thing) then you must have given some companies a change of address notice for certain services that you use, such as an estate agent or solicitor, etc. Surely you can use one of those letters as proof that you've changed address but are still residing in the UK? If those are out of date, then just get your bank to send a bank statement with your parent's address on it. But do check to make sure that they're asking for proof of a permanent UK address first, and not proof of UK citizenship.

Edited by Senior Player

1 hour ago, Senior Player said:

On my own application it just asked for proof that "I was a UK citizen" and not proof of residency, which is just a repeat upload of your biopage from your passport. If it's actually asking for proof of a permanent UK address (which isn't the same thing) then you must have given some companies a change of address notice for certain services that you use, such as an estate agent or solicitor, etc. Surely you can use one of those letters as proof that you've changed address but are still residing in the UK? If those are out of date, then just get your bank to send a bank statement with your parent's address on it. But do check to make sure that they're asking for proof of a permanent UK address first, and not proof of UK citizenship.

it didnt save the information, but im sure it never mentioned citizinship, i was going to download the photo driving licence, it has my parent address as does the bank statement i gave as the financial part of the application.

im 55 so havent started taking my pension so i had to request pension statements with my current address, the older ones had my old address on.

12 hours ago, Senior Player said:

I have to say that makes a bit more sense.

An application for an O-A visa would carry an indication of the intention to leave the country for at least 12 months bringing permanent residency into question.

On saying that the old visa application forms used to say "Permanent home address" which was really just a contact address, no proof was ever required.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have to say that makes a bit more sense.

An application for an O-A visa would carry an indication of the intention to leave the country for at least 12 months bringing permanent residency into question.

On saying that the old visa application forms used to say "Permanent home address" which was really just a contact address, no proof was ever required.

unfortunately the new system wont let you progress without downloading something, i think it still asking to prove you permanently live in the uk however my police certificate and bank statements both had the same address so a pointless part of the application, another BM just sent me a PM and she said she just used the passport again

I can not understand why you are trying to apply in your country;
in France it is the same mess;
the Thai Embassy in Paris is asking for some incredible stuff and stuff ..
Come to Thailand with all the documents we ask you when you are in your country and apply here;
you will see how easy it is to request a conversion from a tourist visa to a long-term visa.

Hoping that it has not changed much in recent years :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

I can not understand why you are trying to apply in your country;
in France it is the same mess;
the Thai Embassy in Paris is asking for some incredible stuff and stuff ..
Come to Thailand with all the documents we ask you when you are in your country and apply here;
you will see how easy it is to request a conversion from a tourist visa to a long-term visa.

Hoping that it has not changed much in recent years :thumbsup:

i was under the impression i had to apply for this O/A visa in home country and then get extensions in Thailand, i was there on an NON-IMM O for 90 days and someone on here told me i could convert it. i have done the majority of the work already so may as well finish but thanks for the advice

The thai consulate in Glasgow said she could get me another NON-IMM O if i wanted

2 hours ago, brianj1964 said:

i was under the impression i had to apply for this O/A visa in home country and then get extensions in Thailand, i was there on an NON-IMM O for 90 days and someone on here told me i could convert it. i have done the majority of the work already so may as well finish but thanks for the advice

The thai consulate in Glasgow said she could get me another NON-IMM O if i wanted

You can get an extension from a non O in the same way as a O-A, the visas just have different criteria. With the non O you would have to deal with the extension fairly quickly, within the 90 days, whereas with the O-A you wouldn't have to worry about the extension for about 2 years.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, Assurancetourix said:

And how do you get the tourist visa ?

or do you mean visa exempt (30 days) ?

I was just trying to (start to) apply for a non O visa based on marriage. Plan is to stay 90 days - 

flight already booked (next December)

After many attempts, I’m still blocked on step 2 as pics show below.

I’ve deleted all and started from step 1 again and again, still getting the same message, can’t even change the purpose of visit to try the “retirement option” 

This app is really a hassle !

Maybe it’s because I’m currently in Thailand that I’m not able to use it ? Anyone has a clue ?

The visa must be delivered by French embassy.

I’ll try again once in HC.

174BBDD4-7C9C-4695-BD04-F74D43FEF605.png

1337BA66-977A-4E4D-8E64-33B56457F265.png

E5C59EED-A79F-43B9-A16B-212E8F01123D.png

• 2 weeks later...

i got a non imm

On 9/30/2019 at 8:37 AM, bslmh said:

And how do you get the tourist visa ?

or do you mean visa exempt (30 days) ?

I was just trying to (start to) apply for a non O visa based on marriage. Plan is to stay 90 days - 

flight already booked (next December)

After many attempts, I’m still blocked on step 2 as pics show below.

I’ve deleted all and started from step 1 again and again, still getting the same message, can’t even change the purpose of visit to try the “retirement option” 

This app is really a hassle !

Maybe it’s because I’m currently in Thailand that I’m not able to use it ? Anyone has a clue ?

The visa must be delivered by French embassy.

I’ll try again once in HC.

174BBDD4-7C9C-4695-BD04-F74D43FEF605.png

1337BA66-977A-4E4D-8E64-33B56457F265.png

E5C59EED-A79F-43B9-A16B-212E8F01123D.png

I got a non-immigrant O from a local consulate,scanned documents sent them with the application by email, got a reply within 2 days to visit the consulate and tke my passport, in and out in 5 minutes I only did the on-line thing for the O-A based on retirement. its in the post but they failed to deliver it today.