Chiang Mai university becomes first Asean nation to grow own breed of cannabis

webfact

3 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Sativa or Indica - those plants are too spindly. Definitely not enough light. As for pruning the top, normal practice now is to do it twice. Then you get four huge colas and far more flower than from unpruned plants. I could tell you more but it's harvest time here on my little island. haha

I did side by side comparison and the yield stayed the same. Customer paid more for bigger cola so pruning the plant wasn't profitable. It also increase the risk of disease. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I did side by side comparison and the yield stayed the same. Customer paid more for bigger cola so pruning the plant wasn't profitable. It also increase the risk of disease. 

But you could have rooted the 'prunings' in a glass of water and had four more plants.

32 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

Sativa or Indica - those plants are too spindly. Definitely not enough light. As for pruning the top, normal practice now is to do it twice. Then you get four huge colas and far more flower than from unpruned plants. I could tell you more but it's harvest time here on my little island. haha

where on van island are you then ? campbell river ? maybe vic ? hahaha

Very pleased to see this happening. I would like to help too, here's my advice:

It looks like those plants aren't getting enough light hours to grow properly this time of year.

I grow in Hawaii and we have the same problem. It's because we are only getting around 12 hours from sunrise to sunset right now.

Cannabis is photoperiodic which means it grows in response to the light hours per day. Giving the plant under 13 hours of light per day this early on (the "vegetative growth stage") does not work well and the plants grow slow.

The sativas strains kind of grow okay, but spindly like this and don't yield well. Indicas stay as short as a lolipop.

Naturally outdoors, as spring moves into summer the daylight hours increase which is why the plants follow the typical crop season. However, you can manipulate this photoperiod effect to your advantage.

The solution is to supplement more daylight hours with artificial lighting. We use LED grow lights, however even cheap florescent bulbs will do the trick. This is how I harvest every 45 days back home, outdoors.

What they can do is put a bunch of lights overhead that turn on at sunset and stay on until midnight will do the trick. As long as the plants are getting at least 16 hours of light per day they will not bloom until the lights are stopped. Then removal of the lights will shock the plant into bloom cycle (called the flowering cycle).

1 minute ago, moldresistant said:

Very pleased to see this happening. I would like to help too, here's my advice:

It looks like those plants aren't getting enough light hours to grow properly this time of year.

I grow in Hawaii and we have the same problem. It's because we are only getting around 12 hours from sunset to sunrise right now.

Cannabis is photoperiodic which means it grows in response to the light hours per day. Giving the plant under 13 hours of light per day does not work well and the plants grow slow.

The sativas strains kind of grow okay, but spindly like this and don't yield well. Indicas stay as short as a lolipop.

Naturally outdoors, as spring moves into summer the daylight hours increase which is why the plants follow the typical crop season. However, you can manipulate this photoperiod effect to your advantage.

The solution is to supplement more daylight hours with artificial lighting. We use LED grow lights, however even cheap florescent bulbs will do the trick. This is how I harvest every 45 days back home, outdoors.

What they can do is put a bunch of lights overhead that turn on at sunset and stay on until midnight will do the trick. As long as the plants are getting at least 16 hours of light per day they will not bloom until the lights are stopped. Then removal of the lights will shock the plant into bloom cycle (called the flowering cycle).

You didn't mention the auto flowers which are not photo sensitive and flower automatically and are becoming increasingly popular.

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You didn't mention the auto flowers which are not photo sensitive and flower automatically and are becoming increasingly popular.

Right there are autoflowers, which are hybrids of Ruderalis hemp. They don't respond to the daylight hours which means you can't clone them either.

In my experience, autoflowers are not worth it for outdoors in the tropics/subtropics because the ruderalis comes from high latitude areas and that's why they have adapted that non-photosensitivity. They only yield good when you can give them over 16 hours of light throughout the entire growth.

We never get more than a few ounces per plant from the autos compared to lbs on normal strains grown next to each other.

3 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Right there are autoflowers, which are hybrids of Ruderalis hemp. They don't respond to the daylight hours which means you can't clone them either.

In my experience, autoflowers are not worth it for outdoors in the tropics/subtropics because the ruderalis comes from high latitude areas and that's why they have adapted that non-photosensitivity. They only yield good when you can give them over 16 hours of light throughout the entire growth.

We never get more than a few ounces per plant from the autos compared to lbs on normal strains grown next to each other.

Yes good point on the yeilds.Looking to get back into growing after a 15 year work break.Just waiting for the new Thai growing laws to be introduced.Can't wait to see what they come up with here.I don't see how they are going to control any restrictions or regulations they try to impose.Although I prefere outdoors for bigger better tasting heads I will be taking the advantage of increased security of indoors as a backup.

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Yes good point on the yeilds.Looking to get back into growing after a 15 year work break.Just waiting for the new Thai growing laws to be introduced.Can't wait to see what they come up with here.I don't see how they are going to control any restrictions or regulations they try to impose.Although I prefere outdoors for bigger better tasting heads I will be taking the advantage of increased security of indoors as a backup.

Me too I would love to be able to just grow a few plants for stash. It does wonders for my upset stomach.

I thought about that on the restrictions of THC too. So what is the officer going to come inspect the THC levels of your plants? That's not realistic when everyone is allowed 6 plants. There is growing evidence that THC is also important in medical compared to just CBD alone. I wish they would consider that too.

27 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

Me too I would love to be able to just grow a few plants for stash. It does wonders for my upset stomach.

I thought about that on the restrictions of THC too. So what is the officer going to come inspect the THC levels of your plants? That's not realistic when everyone is allowed 6 plants. There is growing evidence that THC is also important in medical compared to just CBD alone. I wish they would consider that too.

Image result for entourage effect

The most pathetic underfed excuse for a plant I have ever seen!! What a joke they don't even know how to feed their plants! Every single one is underfed on nitrogen and looks very weak indeed

Thai genetics have already been made into some of the most powerful strains in the world that are cannabis cup winners, maybe buy these guys a computer and give them access to youtube... a translator even so they can open their eyes and learn about the already greatly superior outside world

Chemdawg, GG#4 (Gorilla Glue) and Chocolate Thai already massively cultivated strains that produce huge yields and used in medical grow ops. Thailand could back cross but they instead decide to reinvent a wheel that is 30 years out of date!!!! And this is university professors!? What a bunch of jokers

FLY TO LOS ANGELES AND GET UP TO DATE YOU NEED TO LEARN ABOUT THE OUTSIDE WORLD!!!!!!!! WHAT A JOKE!!!!!

21 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Call that a crop :)??

This is a crop

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.vI0-ivOXJMm5eydQ5o_ouwHaE6%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Exactly bro but remember in our country they would be on the little bus and be classified learning difficulties with IQs well under base average so what can we do? Just help those with mental disabilities is the best

Let's get some professionals in this country. You will barely yield a dime bag of those puny plants

39 minutes ago, moldresistant said:

I heard they will monopolise the seeds apparently, but this is coming from the people who dont know what hemp is or how to tell the difference so you can probably be right in your opinion really. I feel sorry for those paying to go to school here, its so backwards it cannot ever get forward because even the professors are without a clue.

8 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Some one needs to show them how to head the plant, thin stalk,  please give me a work permit, happily grow full bodied plants, too early to see if male or female plants in photo, 

no doubt there are many expats  here who could qualify to grow some good weed. 

I tried a few years ago, limited success.

IMG_20160206_171444.jpg

IMG_20160206_172243.jpg

IMG_20160206_171420.jpg

IMG_20160206_171431.jpg

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Personally speaking I've never found the need to take/smoke drugs to have a good time....
This drug manufacturing for "medicinal" purposes will blow up in time !

This overworked old line, suggests that anyone taking any recreational chemical for pleasure does it because of something lacking in themselves, so they NEED to do it.  It could apply to any adventurous sport also, I could say "Personally I never felt the need to climb mountains/go scuba diving etc etc." 

Did you ever find the need to take tobacco or alcohol (Both relatively speaking more dangerous drugs)?

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Maejo University

MJU = Maejo University or Mary Jane University? Sorry, I had to say it. haha

Congrats to Thailand! What's amazing is that I know of some influential foreigners who told me about how Thailand would be weed-friendly three years ago. I wonder if other words around the temple will prove true. If so... Well, I can see tourism returning in big numbers. 

Archived