Britain to create 1 billion pound fund for clean energy technology

webfact

Britain to create 1 billion pound fund for clean energy technology

By Kylie MacLellan

2019-09-22T220810Z_1_LYNXMPEF8L0VA_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-QATAR.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson meets with Qatar's Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani at Downing Street in London, Britain September 20, 2019 Frank Augstein/Pool via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will create a 1 billion pound ($1.25 billion) fund for scientists around the world to create and test new technology to help developing countries reduce carbon emissions, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will say on Monday.

At the United Nations General Assembly in New York, Johnson will call for greater global action to tackle what he will describe as the twin threats of climate change and biodiversity loss. He will also announce a 220 million pound fund to help save endangered animals like the black rhino, African elephant, snow leopard and Sumatran tiger.

The Ayrton Fund, named after British physicist and suffragette Hertha Ayrton, will consist of aid money for British and foreign scientists and engineers to develop new clean energy technology in partnership with developing countries.

"If we get this right, future generations will look back on climate change as a problem that we solved by determined global action and the prowess of technology," Johnson said in a statement ahead of his visit to New York.

"This innovative use of aid money benefits all of us and shows how we can use our aid budget to tackle climate change. The Ayrton Fund will back scientists and our world-leading tech industry – reducing emissions in the poorest countries with the help of our home-grown talent."

The money is intended help developing countries cut emissions through measures like using solar technology, improving large-scale battery technology to replace diesel generators, designing clean stoves to cut firewood use, using low-emission and electric vehicles and cutting emissions from factories in polluting industries like iron and steel.

The 220-million-pound biodiversity fund will also invest in projects to tackle illegal wildlife trade by strengthening law enforcement, training anti-poaching rangers and helping communities find alternative ways to make a living.

"We cannot just sit back and watch as priceless endangered species are wiped off the face of the earth by our own carelessness and criminality," Johnson said.

"We are ramping up UK efforts with a new action plan to save the natural world. And I’d like to see leaders in New York this week pledge to do the same."

Britain will also commit nearly 40 million pounds to protect and preserve the world's forests.

($1 = 0.8014 pounds)

(Reporting by Kylie MacLellan, editing by Deepa Babington)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-23

Chomper, if Jesus Christ himself turned up and offered you a ride to heaven, you would suspect him of being a Leaver and tell him to sod off.....

After all, he did bewilder his mates by Leaving his tomb three days after being laid to rest there.

If the UK, like most advanced countries, prints enough money to bring on some technological advancement, what could you possibly object to? 

28 minutes ago, blazes said:

Chomper, if Jesus Christ himself turned up and offered you a ride to heaven, you would suspect him of being a Leaver and tell him to sod off.....

After all, he did bewilder his mates by Leaving his tomb three days after being laid to rest there.

If the UK, like most advanced countries, prints enough money to bring on some technological advancement, what could you possibly object to? 

Like I say, Kudos if it’s dome.

If it’s done.

I might believe Jesus, I’m not inclined to believe the serial liar Johnson.

Commendable thoughts.

The EU has a large number of such research projects. He does not like the EU. How does he want to avoid that there is no waste of money through Identical Double Research? In the end, cooperation in research in important future fields with other EU states? Btw Trump will not like to hear that with the coal.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The money better spent on the already proven nuclear power to build more electricity generators. France has shown the way long ago and using it very successfully with no catastrophes.

The power for all those electric cars has to come from somewhere.

That of course apart from the rumours of improper disposal of nuclear waste, of which it was non unusual to hear years ago. :whistling:

Not blaming the French of course, nor anyone else, just those pesky rumours.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

That of course apart from the rumours of improper disposal of nuclear waste, of which it was non unusual to hear years ago. :whistling:

Not blaming the French of course, nor anyone else, just those pesky rumours.

Permanent storage is technologically easy, but governments just don't, apparently, want to spend the money.

If they do build deep storage bunkers, the disposal problem goes away.

Even better, use some of the money to develop ways to be able to recycle all the waste into new rods.

3 hours ago, blazes said:

I had learnt in school that religion and politics have something in common:  BELIEVE.

If you believe that someone left "his tomb 3 days after being laid to rest there", its up to your (religious) believe.

If you believe "prints enough money to bring on some technological advancement" it"s up to your (political) believe.

Nobody can ever improve if that "thing" with Jesus happened. But within a short time of your life we can improve, if enough printed money brought some "technological advancement" to the UK.

Let's wait and see/judge.

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Kudos if it’s done.

It is, like many of this government’s scatter cash proposals, reliant on the UK having a functioning economy.

While making this proposal the Prime Minister is elsewhere acting to put the economy at risk.

What's wrong, Chomper? No new Brexit threads today?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Permanent storage is technologically easy, but governments just don't, apparently, want to spend the money.

If they do build deep storage bunkers, the disposal problem goes away.

Even better, use some of the money to develop ways to be able to recycle all the waste into new rods.

Well, i don't know it it's true, but i've read reports talking about nuclear waste stored into metal containers, and sunk in the sea.

Sometimes you still hear frightening reports about the Fukushima disaster.

I can understand the media silence in a way, panic would do no favours to anyone.

Did i tell you that i'm not so optimistic about nuclear energy ? :cool:

It's good to see the Conservatives have realized austerity was a bad idea and finally abandoned it.

Shame for all the poor people who had to suffer through it though

The national debt under this administration has increased by 3 times the amount it increased under all previous Labour administrations.... .

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i don't know it it's true, but i've read reports talking about nuclear waste stored into metal containers, and sunk in the sea.

Sometimes you still hear frightening reports about the Fukushima disaster.

I can understand the media silence in a way, panic would do no favours to anyone.

Did i tell you that i'm not so optimistic about nuclear energy ? :cool:

I have no illusions about the depths that capitalist organisations will go to save money. No wonder I'm pessimistic.

The Japanese disaster, like Chernoble was man caused. Their design did not take into account the tsunami that occurred. Had it done so, there would have been no catastrophe following the tsunami.

I always look to the French to see how a good nuclear power system should be run. It is possible.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no illusions about the depths that capitalist organisations will go to save money. No wonder I'm pessimistic.

The Japanese disaster, like Chernoble was man caused. Their design did not take into account the tsunami that occurred. Had it done so, there would have been no catastrophe following the tsunami.

I always look to the French to see how a good nuclear power system should be run. It is possible.

I believe it's possible,  in the same time we have to accept that money and profit rule.

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's good to see the Conservatives have realized austerity was a bad idea and finally abandoned it.

Shame for all the poor people who had to suffer through it though

The national debt under this administration has increased by 3 times the amount it increased under all previous Labour administrations.... .

Absolute rubbish. Austerity has been able to be wound down after the debt increase was reigned back and the change flatlined last year. It's still a huge debt but if the GDP% trend 2008-10 had continued (under Labour) we would be up to  3 trillion by now. There was a financial crisis with Gordon Broon to "manage it", remember? This is one thing that Cameron and Osborne should actually be recognised for. 

Charts from ONS.

Image result for UK debt

image.png.40240a228143742460d6fc17e6151756.png  

6 hours ago, blazes said:

Just "printing" new money is something the developed nations do not do anymore since the 30's. All remember the catastrophe when Germany did so to finance the about 4 mln strikers in the Rheinland who laid down their work as protest against the occupation of that area by the French in 1922.

Every minister of finance simply has to save that as difference between tax income and tax spending or by loans. When a nation loses confidence, like Italy or especially Greece, than the real problem occur.

Inflatory financing: even Boris will not lie that away.

With the present really low interest rates it makes sense to create funds like this. Also the Dutch are doing this, but broader and bigger than the UK one, an investment fund for 50 billion Euro. See this article, a few weeks old and the fund has been announced in the mean time. https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2019/august/dutch-investment-fund/

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

Just "printing" new money is something the developed nations do not do anymore since the 30's. All remember the catastrophe when Germany did so to finance the about 4 mln strikers in the Rheinland who laid down their work as protest against the occupation of that area by the French in 1922.

Every minister of finance simply has to save that as difference between tax income and tax spending or by loans. When a nation loses confidence, like Italy or especially Greece, than the real problem occur.

Inflatory financing: even Boris will not lie that away.

Talk about Rip van Winkel!  Have you been asleep since 2008?????  Or maybe I am hallucinating and Quantitative Easing never took place???

7 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

If the greens allowed research on Gen IV reactors that can actually use the "waste" as fuel that issue too would be diminished: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor#Advantages_and_disadvantages

But no solar panels (Which have an enviromental cost to produce) and wind (Which destroy large areas by creating noise pollution and interfering with birds) are the only ones blessed by the "greens".

Archived