visa exempt exit and reentry

I will be traveling to Southeast Asia soon, visiting Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam.  I am going there from a country whose citizens are allowed entry into Thailand "Visa exempt".  What I want to do is enter Thailand first, stay a week, exit to Cambodia for a week, and return to Thailand for another week.  What do I need to do to accomplish this?

28 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

And wear long trousers, so they say.

and a bow tie. just kidding and i hope the above poster was as well.

to be allowed boarding of the flight for a visa exempt entry, you will need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arriving

As long as you do not have a significant prior history of visits to Thailand (especially as a tourist) and the airline allows you to board your initial flight to Thailand, you have nothing to worry about. As someone else indicated, the airline may want to see an onward flight reservation out of Thailand before they allow you to check in.

• Like 1

A Filipino friend of mine is coming to the end of his initial 30 day Visa Exempt entry and 30 day Extension thereof. If he makes a visa trip to one of the neighbouring countries, and immediately re-enters Thailand as a tourist, are the rules the same for him, as a citizen of a relatively low income country ? 

- Is he required to show some cash to re-enter ? If yes, how much ?

- Is he required to show an outbound airline ticket ?

On 9/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, olblueyes said:

The question is not about the original entry, its about THE RE-ENTRY! 

Actually there would be no difference between first entry or re-entry.  So nothing more than what Matzzon already posted: ... your passport, 20k baht in cash, hotel booking for first night and a cheap exit ticket.

Also you should not have a history of many tourist or visa exempt entries and be aware that you are only allowed 2 land-border crossings into Thailand per year on Visa exempt.

If you do have a history of tourist or visa exempt entries, do post the details so that TV Forum members can give you correct advice.  Also your nationality would be helpful, as rules can be different for some countries, as well as whether you intent to re-enter over land or by flight.

Edited by Peter Denis

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the question was unambiguously answered.  He arrives Thailand gets visa exempt stamp for the 29 or 30 days.  One week later he leaves Thailand.  At that time can he get a re-entry permit for that visa exempt?  If he does not get some sort of re-entry permit then the visa will be closed and stamped out in his passport.  So when he comes back into Thailand a short time later he would have to get a new Visa exempt.  Sure, probably no problem.  But the question was can he leave and re-enter on the original Visa exempt by getting a re-entry permit?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

At that time can he get a re-entry permit for that visa exempt? 

No such thing.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

But the question was can he leave and re-enter on the original Visa exempt by getting a re-entry permit?

Wasn't the question.

21 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Yes, it was the question. His question in his second post was about the Re-entry.

Sorry mate but it wasn't, the only person to raise the issue of a "re-entry permit" on a visa exempt stamp (which doesn't exist) was you.

All he was asking in the second post was if there would be any further requirements when he flies back in ... which there isn't, he'll just get another 30 day visa exempt stamp.

• 1 month later...

Just as a point of information to anyone who may be interested.  I entered Thailand at Phuket with no problems.  I was not asked for any proof or documentation of finances or flight out.  I believe this was due to 1.  my having pre-booked a hotel which I put on the immigration form as my address  2.  also, I put their phone number on the form.  I suspect that people who are asked to document finances, and or transportation out, either do not completely fill out the form, or, sorry, don't look or act the way immigrations profile says they should, right or wrong as this may be. My passport was stamped departed when I left, at Phuket.  Since I entered visa exempt there was no need for a reentry permit, I believe these are for people who are on a visa. Upon my return, at Bangkok, from Cambodia, I was again issued a 30-day visa exemption, I am currently in Chiang Mai.  In case anybody thinks I am, or dress as, or even look like an extraordinary, rich or famous person, they would be hugely mistaken.  By the by, I did list my occupation as a firefighter, which is true, and wore a fire dept. T-shirt while flying, which may or may not have helped.