Who is responsible for paying the bill?

OneMoreFarang

I started this thread about the payment in a restaurant and it seems until now nobody knows the legal situation.

But obviously this was related to the story of the guy who walked away and left the girl sitting there without paying the bill. And it seems that girls was not exactly innocent but probably she knew what she was doing. And there is obviously the possibility that she had no only alcohol in her blood.

In a situation like that not paying the restaurant might be the smaller problem compared to creating problems to the girl (I am sure that's the way she saw it). Everybody who is in Thailand for a couple of years should have heard enough stories to know it's a very bad idea to make girls like that angry. And if you walk away and don't see her that does not mean you will never ever see her again. And you can be pretty sure she will remember how you just left her sitting there. Not a good idea!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I started this thread about the payment in a restaurant and it seems until now nobody knows the legal situation.

Yes ????

But the thing is, where are you, who are you, with whom are you together & what's your relationship?

... I don't think you will get much time to work out the legal aspect of it, if it comes fast and hard.

That was my point. You know how this works in Thailand.

For all other cases in general, I don't know ... maybe we have to ask a lawyer ????

1 minute ago, RedPill said:
7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes ????

But the thing is, where are you, who are you, with whom are you together & what's your relationship?

... I don't think you will get much time to work out the legal aspect of it, if it comes fast and hard.

That was my point. 

For all other cases, I don't know ... maybe we have to ask a lawyer ????

In part I agree with you. But only in part.

Do that in the wrong place, i.e. a gogo bar and you don't have to worry that their lawyer will call your lawyer. That is likely settled on the spot. ????

But I don't think this is how the situation would be handled in expensive restaurants, maybe in 5 star hotels. They won't send the bouncers. But possibly they will call the cops.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But I don't think this is how the situation would be handled in expensive restaurants, maybe in 5 star hotels. They won't send the bouncers. But possibly they will call the cops.

Yes, and you know how that get's settled between cops and a farang not paying the bill. 

Let's take this case by case. If your company has a longer relationship with you, they would not do anything stupid, they pay up and talk to you later. But if they don't know you, and they want to make trouble, you have a lot of trouble.

With whom are you together, and where you are ... even a small sea food restaurant on beach road, I think it's the big elephant in the room.

Other than that, I also don't know, I admit ????

On 9/23/2019 at 7:50 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

In reality, IMO, it would be the last person at the table, but normally one person doesn't walk out to avoid it.

I once went to a dinner party with colleagues and we all paid the same as the meal was divided between all. I was happy with that, but some added a dessert, and some didn't. I thought it was wrong to expect the rest to pay for something only a few had, and they should have paid that themselves.

I didn't make a fuss at the time, but I never had another meal with them.

When I lived in States I stopped splitting the bill. Many would completely game the dinner. Order the best, dessert....

Another time I took an acquaintance out for a cheap meal. I told him I'd pay. He actually asked me - are you paying? As if that should make a difference in his order.

No, done with that bs. Split checks unless with Thai people - but I've had one Thai guy do it too. So F em all. Scousers.

38 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do that in the wrong place, i.e. a gogo bar and you don't have to worry that their lawyer will call your lawyer. That is likely settled on the spot. ????

Ok, let's give this a spin. Legal aspects in Thailand. 

I understand, I discuss from a 'Farang involved', 'Farang pay' ... kind of view.

For the past 10 years, all guys around me tell me ... don't get an accident on the road, Farang always wrong and have to pay.

True or not? You also heard that?

I only had 1 accident, a truck crashed into my parked motorbike. The Thai guy waited for me, we went together to Honda and he paid the bill upfront. Very nice guy, so I can't really personally confirm this statement I always hear, by my own experience.

But overall, do you have the feeling, that Thai law does not go as far as to protect you when it comes to pay a dinner with your Thai girl and you run away without paying? If you don't know her, I think it's a lost case. You are in big trouble, if she's up for it.

If it's your wife, you will not have that problem, she will pay and kick your a$$ later coming back home ????

I mean, how many times have you heard or seen a guy ran away from a bill in a restaurant?

That's not a common every day case. Unless there is some drama involved between 2 people, knowing or not knowing each other. 

Which is the deciding factor.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:45 PM, ylmiri said:

Didn't you know in India if you go to the temples during lunch time they give you free lunch? Honestly, not joking. Watch youtube, you will see they having vegetarian lunch though. But it looks very good. But everyone sitting on the floor with plastic mats.

May be the Indian man thought he could get free lunch too in Cambodia, as he was so used to free lunch in India.

There is a temple in phitsanoluk which gives free lunch too

3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

He had his head lopped off for not paying a bill, where were you dining, Fallujah?

Socal, Encino, White Oak, Woodland Hills area....

It was someone I didn't know well - but accepted their invite....Disassociated after I found out....

He found his end a couple of years later.....His wife had left him by then....

He crossed somebody along the way....Not sure what he was involved with, evidently, nothing good......

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was in an expensive restaurant in Paris with my aircraft field service team when I noticed one of them closely following an attractive woman ascending the stairs to the ladies room.  Suddenly he reached out and touched her on the derriere to which she reacted by hitting him in the head with her purse and yelling loudly.  Within 5 minutes the police had arrived, we were forced to pay the entire bill and tossed out of the restaurant leaving several full bottles of wine and largely untouched plates of food.   

I was in an expensive restaurant in Paris with my aircraft field service team when I noticed one of them closely following an attractive woman ascending the stairs to the ladies room.  Suddenly he reached out and touched her on the derriere to which she reacted by hitting him in the head with her purse and yelling loudly.  Within 5 minutes the police had arrived, we were forced to pay the entire bill and tossed out of the restaurant leaving several full bottles of wine and largely untouched plates of food.   
She should have kicked him in the balls.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, RedPill said:

I don't think so. He get's the beer over his face .. he asks for the bill, he pays it.

And then he leaves. 

We don't have to agree ???? But I think that's the better and smarter solution in Pattaya, when together with a hooker he doesn't know, which he was. Nothing classy about that. 

Better be safe than sorry and keep your calm!

I'm talking about the guy who walked on the group of freeloaders, drooping a grand and being on his merry way. 

Back in 1986, I took my then gf (hired in a nana bar) to koh samui for one week.

On the second evening an argument occured and she started to hit my face, then she came inside the bungalow, then came back outside and threatened me with a knife. I got scared and started running around seeking for help, then the guy next door (the owner of a restaurant named Spanish eyes, for those on here that remember this place) gave me shelter for the night and became my friend for life...

After telling him and his wife the story, he seemed not surprised and said : those hookers...

then i asked him what if i leave tomorow ? He said sure, you should leave and let the hotel bill on her (obviously he didn’t like hookers), and no chance for her to go complain to police, and tomorrow, i’ll drive you to the pier, which he did and the next day i found myself alone in bkk...I waited a couple of days before returning to her bar, and, there she was, not angry at all, even smiling at me. I showed her my wallet full of 500 baht notes, I asked her how much for the hotel bill and her boat/train ticket then I reimbursed her.

Lesson learned both sides. Nice memories. Good old days...

On 9/26/2019 at 1:20 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know how this "tipping is required" opinion started, but it certainly wasn't the case 30 years ago. I always gave a bit of cash for services rendered ( masseuses ) or if I wanted good service in the future ( hotel porters ), but I didn't add extra to restaurant bills just because I had eaten there. What's 10 % of 25 baht? Should we tip bus drivers, shopping mall staff or hawker stall owners?

I tip hawkers in my area simply becasue if something is 13 baht, I dont want a baht coin in my pocket. So those 19 or 24 baht teas, the rice things for 13, the fruit for 18 etc, they keep the change. 

A lady selling munchies on the street for 14 baht needs the extra baht more than I do.

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

If you are a farang in Thailand and NEED a free lunch its time to go home.

Yo Millwall, I responded to someone mentioning a free lunch at a temple in India... It is a famous and interesting temple and if you are implying i need a free lunch, don't be silly... my wife wanted to visit the temple... there were no other farang there... it was also not easily accessible so most people if not all had cars... nobody went there specifically for what was probably a 20 baht lunch... 

18 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yo Millwall, I responded to someone mentioning a free lunch at a temple in India... It is a famous and interesting temple and if you are implying i need a free lunch, don't be silly... my wife wanted to visit the temple... there were no other farang there... it was also not easily accessible so most people if not all had cars... nobody went there specifically for what was probably a 20 baht lunch... 

Yo dude I don't imy anything, I'll tell ya straight out, don't be sensitive elst folks will think thou dost protest too much.

Archived