Who is responsible for paying the bill?

OneMoreFarang

29 minutes ago, robblok said:

I agree its a bit strange that people pay more then their share. Though its hard to calculate everything. Can become a bit boring too. So just dividing by the number of people is easy.

Of course it's usually not possible to split everything exactly, dishes of food are shared, depending on the location the waitresses refill the glasses from shared bottles after every sip and so on.

But from my western mindset, i would at least try to share it in a fair manner. So i would for example divide the bill in food and drinks, and then share the food portion between the people who actually ate. Or if somebody ate an expensive dish alone i would suggest that this person pays a bit more. In case somebody didn't eat or drink i would not ask him to pay something.

Another case: The first persons arrive at the location at 8pm, other persons at 9pm. At 10pm the group decides to leave and the bill comes. It's again expected that everybody pays the same share. If i were to handle this i would also ask the persons who arrived at 8 to pay more than the persons who arrived at 9.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

This is how we would do in the USA, ask for separate bills before ordering.

For the OP, I dont know the law, but there is the old saying "getting stuck with the bill" so if you are the last one present when the bill arrives, think you are "stuck" with paying it.  

Probably. I usually do separate bills here. Some of my friends spend alot on booze, and I do not drink much, so it the fair was to approach it. With large groups sometimes we do it differently. But, i agree if you are the last one it is on you. I am not timid about asking departing friends to kick in for the bill!

A Cheap Trick!

My brother is a bit of a Cheap Charlie even though he makes more money than any of his friends/relatives.

And when in company he is always the first to suggest going to a restaurant for a meal and drinks.

Sort of a 'hidden invitation'.

When the bill comes he will then invariably suggest to split the bill, or everybody paying his share of the total bill.

Having his own small business, he also picks up or asks for the VAT-receipt of the meal, which he can deduct from his income taxes.  So in fact he doesn't pay for his share as he will recuperate it from his income tax, and when with a group of people he is actually making a profit...

Not very nice, but he's my brother and good table company so I do not confront him on that behavior.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

A Cheap Trick!

My brother is a bit of a Cheap Charlie even though he makes more money than any of his friends/relatives.

And when in company he is always the first to suggest going to a restaurant for a meal and drinks.

Sort of a 'hidden invitation'.

When the bill comes he will then invariably suggest to split the bill, or everybody paying his share of the total bill.

Having his own small business, he also picks up or asks for the VAT-receipt of the meal, which he can deduct from his income taxes.  So in fact he doesn't pay for his share as he will recuperate it from his income tax, and when with a group of people he is actually making a profit...

Not very nice, but he's my brother and good table company so I do not confront him on that behavior.

That's how the rich get rich!

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

Anyway what works in the USA can give a lot of confusion in Thailand and a lot of mess. Unless you are at a really good restaurant. Otherwise it could get hard to split the bill.

I never have had a problem to ask a separate bill the restaurants, good or not,  in Thailand

just better to not forget to ask before to order. Even the small streets restaurants can handdle it

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We had some comment here were two people were together in a restaurant and one walked out and didn't pay - but he was supposed to pay.

What happens in such situations?

You're not by any chance asking for a Phuket guy who ditched his new girl in Pattaya...?

Really annoyed me in oz once.

Saw a friend and his wife in a cafe, they asked me to join for lunch.  Was a good lunch until the bill, they insisted that it be split only 2 ways, not 3.

Never did bother seeing them again.

No poll? ????

I would never put anyone in a situation where they had to pay for me, or for me and my gf. Just how it is. 

I guess op of the other tread puts himself in situations like that, and not a singel event for him. He is just a .... .... who runs out like an woman with pms  in public. Growing a pair, also means to act cool, stay cool, and be cool!

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Of course it's usually not possible to split everything exactly, dishes of food are shared, depending on the location the waitresses refill the glasses from shared bottles after every sip and so on.

But from my western mindset, i would at least try to share it in a fair manner. So i would for example divide the bill in food and drinks, and then share the food portion between the people who actually ate. Or if somebody ate an expensive dish alone i would suggest that this person pays a bit more. In case somebody didn't eat or drink i would not ask him to pay something.

Another case: The first persons arrive at the location at 8pm, other persons at 9pm. At 10pm the group decides to leave and the bill comes. It's again expected that everybody pays the same share. If i were to handle this i would also ask the persons who arrived at 8 to pay more than the persons who arrived at 9.

If the guy who arrived at 9 was supposed to come at 8 and he didn't have a good excuse then I think he should pay the whole bill.

10 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You're not by any chance asking for a Phuket guy who ditched his new girl in Pattaya...?

I was obviously inspired by that situation. I hope the girl gave the restaurant his name and contact information.

But that is not the only case.

Recently I heard from a guy that he was in Nana and he met a couple of tourist. It seems they were all very stingy. So he told them something like: Guys, don't worry. I have a lot of money and lets have a good time. Drink what you want, lets party with the girls, and I will pick up the bill. The stingy guys liked that idea. So they partied. And then the guy who was supposed to pay the bill went to toilet and was never seen again.

He thought that was really funny. My advise to him was to avoid Nana in the future. I don't know what happened.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In reality, IMO, it would be the last person at the table, but normally one person doesn't walk out to avoid it.

I once went to a dinner party with colleagues and we all paid the same as the meal was divided between all. I was happy with that, but some added a dessert, and some didn't. I thought it was wrong to expect the rest to pay for something only a few had, and they should have paid that themselves.

I didn't make a fuss at the time, but I never had another meal with them.

nor would i

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was obviously inspired by that situation. I hope the girl gave the restaurant his name and contact information.

But that is not the only case.

Recently I heard from a guy that he was in Nana and he met a couple of tourist. It seems they were all very stingy. So he told them something like: Guys, don't worry. I have a lot of money and lets have a good time. Drink what you want, lets party with the girls, and I will pick up the bill. The stingy guys liked that idea. So they partied. And then the guy who was supposed to pay the bill went to toilet and was never seen again.

He thought that was really funny. My advise to him was to avoid Nana in the future. I don't know what happened.

The tourists learned a very expensive lesson, no doubt.

Sounds better than a situation i witnessed with an obnoxious French guy with wife beater shirt (high class) that tossed the dishes of food on the floor and left without paying. I guess the food was not up to his standards. He lives alone in my town and neither foreigner nor Thai will get near him. Another high class foreigner that somehow was allowed in. Try doing that in America and watch what happens.

The simple solution is eat and drink by yourself. Anybody that would lower themselves to eat and drink with me is not the company I would want for dinner anyway. Hell, sometimes I make myself try to pick up the check for myself.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In reality, IMO, it would be the last person at the table, but normally one person doesn't walk out to avoid it.

I once went to a dinner party with colleagues and we all paid the same as the meal was divided between all. I was happy with that, but some added a dessert, and some didn't. I thought it was wrong to expect the rest to pay for something only a few had, and they should have paid that themselves.

I didn't make a fuss at the time, but I never had another meal with them.

Next time just be sure to add dessert, coffe and cocnac. Problem solved. 

We normaly splitt equal when we meet, and nobody crying if someone had something more. We shared a good time, and enjoyed the food. 

So many variations on this theme.  

Sadly, in life, many people are always counting nickels and dimes, trying to get the upper hand.  I just prefer not to eat with those types very often and especially not at an expensive restaurant.  I quickly learn who is who and choose my dining companions accordingly.  

I like restaurants with the 10% service charge built in also as being an American, I tip.  I have friends from countries that don’t tip and I usually end up covering their tip...the first time or two.  Subsequently, I will gently chide them and tell them that they really should be more generous with the staff who are living on 300 baht a day.  If that bothers them, I’ll just decline to either invite (or accept their invitations) in the future and tell them that I’ll catch up with them later.

In the situation that the OP is referring to, the guy should have paid the bill.  The fact that he had already given his “girlfriend” ฿15k has no relevance to the matter.  It’s a good enough slam just to have left her sitting there wondering where he went.

I left a table during a date in Bangkok.

The girl was on her phone for 30 minutes with little conversation.

I did not like her anyway, so I went to the toilet but out of her sight motioned to the staff and paid the bill.

Then ditched the B out the back door.

I remember my 21st birthday a long times ago, it was at a nice beachside restaurant, I didn't have to pay for the bill as everyone chipped in and paid for my meal.

Then when I was the last person there with this cute girl I brought along, I remember her name, Mandy, Randy Mandy I used to call her, the waitress walked up with the manager and said, oh sorry sir, we didn't include the drinks bill in the meals bill, that was a great 21st birthday present for me to remember as it was an open bar....lol

46 minutes ago, Airalee said:

So many variations on this theme.  

Sadly, in life, many people are always counting nickels and dimes, trying to get the upper hand.  I just prefer not to eat with those types very often and especially not at an expensive restaurant.  I quickly learn who is who and choose my dining companions accordingly.  

I like restaurants with the 10% service charge built in also as being an American, I tip.  I have friends from countries that don’t tip and I usually end up covering their tip...the first time or two.  Subsequently, I will gently chide them and tell them that they really should be more generous with the staff who are living on 300 baht a day.  If that bothers them, I’ll just decline to either invite (or accept their invitations) in the future and tell them that I’ll catch up with them later.

In the situation that the OP is referring to, the guy should have paid the bill.  The fact that he had already given his “girlfriend” ฿15k has no relevance to the matter.  It’s a good enough slam just to have left her sitting there wondering where he went.

Not sure why the American version of underpaying staff should be encouraged here and make the staff live from tips. If you want to tip so be it but to force your friends to tip because you tip is a bit strange.

If a restaurant has service charge in it I don't tip at all as the service charge is for the serving staff. 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

I remember my 21st birthday a long times ago, it was at a nice beachside restaurant, I didn't have to pay for the bill as everyone chipped in and paid for my meal.

Then when I was the last person there with this cute girl I brought along, I remember her name, Mandy, Randy Mandy I used to call her, the waitress walked up with the manager and said, oh sorry sir, we didn't include the drinks bill in the meals bill, that was a great 21st birthday present for me to remember as it was an open bar....lol

My 21st scarred me for life. I had just joined the forces and wasn't interested in going to the bar, but an NCO came and made me go to the bar where he and his mates drank at MY expense. They made me buy drinks for everyone else too. Funny traditions they have in the forces. 

PS I'd just joined up and as a young fella I was too intimidated to refuse.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I left a table during a date in Bangkok.

The girl was on her phone for 30 minutes with little conversation.

I did not like her anyway, so I went to the toilet but out of her sight motioned to the staff and paid the bill.

Then ditched the B out the back door.

LOL. I had a "date" once and thinking to impress her I booked a fancy restaurant. During the meal her conversation was zero. 

Looking back, I should have done the same as you.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Not sure why the American version of underpaying staff should be encouraged here and make the staff live from tips. If you want to tip so be it but to force your friends to tip because you tip is a bit strange.

If a restaurant has service charge in it I don't tip at all as the service charge is for the serving staff. 

I don’t determine how the staff are paid here and I also understand that servers in Europe are paid a “living wage” when compared to America.   We are all playing the economic arbitrage game here just by living here.  We already know that ฿300 per day is <deleted>, but it appears that when a European person comes here, said person “double dips” with regards to taking advantage of the low labor rates by bringing their non tipping culture here.  If you feel ok with that, that is your prerogative.  Shouldn’t you then be rallying for the staff to be paid living wages here?

It always seems to be the people from non tipping countries railing on the Americans for tipping or the Japanese for “overpaying” hookers.  

“You’re making it more expensive for us here”

I may or may not add a bit to the 10% service charge.  It all depends on the service.  I certainly wouldn’t expect others to do the same.  But if adding an extra €£$ to your tab (at a restaurant where there is no service charge) is so hard to do, then perhaps you need to look inwards.

FWIW, every Thai I associate with tips in the neighborhood of 10% at restaurants (i’m not talking about street food vendors) with no service charge.

8 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I don’t determine how the staff are paid here and I also understand that servers in Europe are paid a “living wage” when compared to America.   We are all playing the economic arbitrage game here just by living here.  We already know that ฿300 per day is <deleted>, but it appears that when a European person comes here, said person “double dips” with regards to taking advantage of the low labor rates by bringing their non tipping culture here.  If you feel ok with that, that is your prerogative.  Shouldn’t you then be rallying for the staff to be paid living wages here?

It always seems to be the people from non tipping countries railing on the Americans for tipping or the Japanese for “overpaying” hookers.  

“You’re making it more expensive for us here”

I may or may not add a bit to the 10% service charge.  It all depends on the service.  I certainly wouldn’t expect others to do the same.  But if adding an extra €£$ to your tab (at a restaurant where there is no service charge) is so hard to do, then perhaps you need to look inwards.

FWIW, every Thai I associate with tips in the neighborhood of 10% at restaurants (i’m not talking about street food vendors) with no service charge.

I usually tip but I am not crazy about it like American as they cant pay their staff a living wage, i mean if your from a country like that I can understand it. In Thailand I have no rules about tipping if there is a service charge then I don't tip unless super good service. If there is no service charge i tip no hard or fast rules about how much. Depends on the service and the bill. 

I don't think Americans are making it more expensive for us, that is up to them. I just found it a bit funny you force your friends to tip instead of leaving it up to them. 

Strange my Thai friends only seem to tip when there is no service charge, they say why pay double its stupid. In non service charge places they do tip in general. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I just found it a bit funny you force your friends to tip instead of leaving it up to them.

“Force” and “gently chide” are at two different ends of the spectrum.  Usually, the ones who don’t tip only do so because they are cheap bastards and always seem to fall back on the “we don’t tip back in our country” excuse.  Well...you’re not in your country anymore.

I tip a lot more in the US than I do here.  On the other hand, I have heard many people from non-tipping countries say that they also don’t tip in the US and that it’s not their problem that servers are underpaid in the US without even knowing what the income tax laws are regarding tips in the US.

Did you know that in the US, if a server doesn’t receive a tip, taxes still need to be paid on an assumed amount?

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Strange my Thai friends only seem to tip when there is no service charge, they say why pay double its stupid. In non service charge places they do tip in general. 

If you read what I wrote, you’ll see that I said essentially the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Airalee said:

“Force” and “gently chide” are at two different ends of the spectrum.  Usually, the ones who don’t tip only do so because they are cheap bastards and always seem to fall back on the “we don’t tip back in our country” excuse.  Well...you’re not in your country anymore.

I tip a lot more in the US than I do here.  On the other hand, I have heard many people from non-tipping countries say that they also don’t tip in the US and that it’s not their problem that servers are underpaid in the US without even knowing what the income tax laws are regarding tips in the US.

Did you know that in the US, if a server doesn’t receive a tip, taxes still need to be paid on an assumed amount?

What you show me shows how crazy and .... up the US is anyway if they are in US they should tip as is custom there. Your also not in your country anymore so for you to tell others what to do.....

I am no cheap <deleted>, but won't tip for lousy service or when service is average and there is already a service charge. Otherwise I just tip but if the bill is 620 bt i could pay 700 or whatever not going to check like oh 10% or what.. i just check what is an easy amount to get to with the money on the table.

Archived