Who is responsible for paying the bill?

OneMoreFarang

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:54 AM, Lancelot01 said:

Many years ago I was invited to a dinner by a foreign acquaintance ( l had only spoken to him a couple of times with a mutual friend) for his Thai gf's birthday. 

At the end of the meal he told me he didn't have any money and asked if I would I pick up to the tab. 

I calculated what I owed for my dinner, left that together with a tip on the table and walked out of the restaurant.

I never saw or heard about him again.

World's full of freeloaders. They only get to do it once to me though.

I was visiting a female that I had met briefly at work, and offered to take her to lunch at a restaurant of my choice ( ie not expensive ) at my expense, so we could continue our conversation. She agreed, but asked to go to an expensive restaurant. Silly me, I assumed that she would then be paying for her own meal, but she made an ass out of me when she made it obvious after we'd eaten that I'd be paying.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The restaurant was not responsible for her behavior. He invited her, he should have paid. And I am pretty sure if they wanted to make a problem for him and if the girl could have provided his name then he would be in trouble. 

You forget he paid her up front for services to be rendered....which she clearly had no intension of honering and to add insult to injury she was treating him like a peice off poo..., if  i had the balls to do the same in a foreign asian country i would have done it too.....

Its all about her and getting something back in return for the behaviour, it wasnt like she was penniless, good lesson for her to learn, shes still way out in front dont you worry about that... 

37 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:
17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The restaurant was not responsible for her behavior. He invited her, he should have paid. And I am pretty sure if they wanted to make a problem for him and if the girl could have provided his name then he would be in trouble. 

You forget he paid her up front for services to be rendered....which she clearly had no intension of honering and to add insult to injury she was treating him like a peice off poo..., if  i had the balls to do the same in a foreign asian country i would have done it too.....

Its all about her and getting something back in return for the behaviour, it wasnt like she was penniless, good lesson for her to learn, shes still way out in front dont you worry about that... 

She has a contract with him.

He has a contract with the restaurant.

The fact that she does not honor her contract with him does not give him the right to break his contract with the restaurant. 

On 9/23/2019 at 7:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I never had that situation and I won't walk away without paying. But I think it's an interesting question.

Ultimately, it was a Farang guy with a Thai girl on that table. The girl only knows him since 4 days. They have no relationship.

The Farang walks away without paying ... the girl left behind.

What do you think? ???? He will never win this case with anyone involved, if he had to settle it here.

Everyone knows who was expected to pay the bill.

I would never take a chance to even try to see where this could end up ????

There might be many other certain situations, Thai / Thai couple, married couples, mia noi's etc. etc. 

I feel like you have to take this case by case. But this one, was a big risk, and he got away lucky.

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

She has a contract with him.

He has a contract with the restaurant.

The fact that she does not honor her contract with him does not give him the right to break his contract with the restaurant. 

Crusader Onemorefarang.....well to appease you he should have just paid for his dinner... though i dont think that was on his mind afer having a glass of beer thrown in his face...your a better man than most of us if you can tolerate such bad beahvior towards yourself and still lash out and pay for the spolit brat.... 

I did notice last night here when reading tv that said gentlemen was ummm bragging about his pick up for want of a better word...the alleged "brat" in an other pot, he may have low standards in women by wanting to spend a week or two with a 2 bob watch but hey what ever rocks your boat, i would say the gentleman in question was so distrught by such disgusting behavior over a period of time that that one last alleged attack pretty much pushed him off the cliff, i dout he was in a clear state of mind when he stormed out of the said restaurant, no dout in time he will get his mind around to the bill and feel oh such remorse that he didnt pick up the tab... 

On 9/23/2019 at 8:08 AM, BritManToo said:

What if I ordered a $300 bottle of wine?

Wow, actually good point.

What if she was so <deleted> off that he buggered off without paying and ordered more for a bigger bill ... and then starts a drama, having his name / hotel and all.

That guy was lucky!

You settle your own bill and then go, doesn't matter how angry you are. It's better and more healthy here ???? 

15 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

i would say the gentleman in question was so distrught by such disgusting behavior over a period of time that that one last alleged attack pretty much pushed him off the cliff, i dout he was in a clear state of mind when he stormed out of the said restaurant, no dout in time he will get his mind around to the bill and feel oh such remorse that he didnt pick up the tab... 

What about the fact he ran away from the restaurant, but they are still checked in together in the same Hotel room?

Did he also ran away from the Hotel without paying? Or did they both had keys and/or he paid/checked out the room earlier and put her stuff behind the reception?

Don't know, the guy was playing with fire ... not sure how he got out of it at the end. He didn't tell. Sounds like a lot of drama for sure. Pattaya style ????

On 9/23/2019 at 4:30 AM, pgrahmm said:

Went out with couple from oz, nice restaurant.....We split the bill & I paid our half....He said to go on ahead while they finished their drinks, so we left.....

Turns out, he pocketed our money & walked out the door without paying.....

Somebody caught up to him for something later on, he was murdered/decapitated.....

He had his head lopped off for not paying a bill, where were you dining, Fallujah?

17 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Don't know, the guy was playing with fire ... not sure how he got out of it at the end. He didn't tell. Sounds like a lot of drama for sure. Pattaya style ????

I wouldn't bet that this story is over.

Next week: I saw her again. She slapped me in my face and told me what an idiot I am. [...at least 3 paragraphs ...] but then she forgave me my bad behavior. She told me if I invite her to the most expensive hotel in Buriram and invite all her family then we can be happy together. I need advice, which is the most exensive hotel in Buriram?  ???? 

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wouldn't bet that this story is over.

Next week: I saw her again. She slapped me in my face and told me what an idiot I am. [...at least 3 paragraphs ...] but then she forgave me my bad behavior. She told me if I invite her to the most expensive hotel in Buriram and invite all her family then we can be happy together. I need advice, which is the most exensive hotel in Buriram?  ???? 

Yep, sounds like a good outcome and happy end for everyone ???? 

Everybody Buriram United ????

31 minutes ago, RedPill said:

What about the fact he ran away from the restaurant, but they are still checked in together in the same Hotel room?

Did he also ran away from the Hotel without paying? Or did they both had keys and/or he paid/checked out the room earlier and put her stuff behind the reception?

Very clearly he stated he went back to the hotel got his stuff and left called a mate to pick him up when he got to BKK...the room would have been paid for you know, you do give your credit card details when you check in so said brat had a roof over her head at least for a night...

Cant belive this has turned into such an anal thread dont you guys have anything better to do than police a hopeless romantic and his wench?

I had plans for dinner with a mate and at the last minute he asked if it was OK to bring a "lady friend" to which I agreed.  After a pleasant dinner his friend suggested we go to a local club for some drinks.  Both of them were serious drinkers and the tab was adding up and I know he is a cheap Charlie so I was watching closely.  About 15 minutes later three of her Thai friends show up and start ordering bottles of wine and lots of food, barely saying a word to me.  Then my mate gets a call and announces that he has to meet someone and departs the club leaving his lady friend with me and her three friends!  I have a pretty good idea of the outcome of this party so when she goes to the ladies room I follow her, hand her 1000 baht for my one Singha and leave the bar through the hotel.  The look on her face told me all I needed to know. 

1 minute ago, AlexRRR said:

Very clearly he stated he went back to the hotel got his stuff and left called a mate to pick him up when he got to BKK...the room would have been paid for you know, you do give your credit card details when you check in so said brat had a roof over her head at least for a night...

Cant belive this has turned into such an anal thread dont you guys have anything better to do than police a hopeless romantic and his wench?

Ok, I did not read this post, thanks for that update.

Still doesn't take away that he was at big risk for a bigger drama. You have been to Pattaya before and left somewhere without paying a bill?

You know what can happen. Not a fun place to try that.

On 9/23/2019 at 7:42 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Who is legally responsible

not sure it ever becomes a legal matter... if people are sitting together, I am afraid it will be left to the last one there... and I would not want to make the argument that my "friend" owes you money... 

and yes, I have heard of some skanky guys who do this... 

travelling in iran a couple of times after eating alone in a restaurant when i tried to pay the bill i was told it had already been paid by another customer - i never knew who.

travelling in shared taxis and on buses i would often be given food by other passengers.

a very friendly and welcoming country

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Ok, I did not read this post, thanks for that update.

Still doesn't take away that he was at big risk for a bigger drama. You have been to Pattaya before and left somewhere without paying a bill?

You know what can happen. Not a fun place to try that.

I give the guy credit for doing it purly because of the la de da head his bar girl has, dont think he is the brightest spark on the planet by a long shot...Pattaya bar girl paying her for a weeks worth of entertainment and up front, taking a risk of problems by not paying the bill....but hey she had money in her purse...wish i had th eballs to risk it...

12 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

There is nothing anal about it. 

There is a lesson to be learned to not run away from your bill in Pattaya as a Farang! This can backfire on you very badly!

It once happened to me 6 years ago, without being my fault.

I went out with a first time visitor friend, who was having so much fun and didn't know what he was doing.

I also didn't pay too much attention to what he did at the time, busy doing my own things. 

When the bill came for me, and I was surprised where it all came from and started to argue, I had 5 bouncers on me in a split second.

The guy later I brought to the hospital for a check.

Nothing is anal here. People share experiences ... you don't get out of a restaurant without paying and leave a hooker behind you don't know.

She could do anything to you later. Same thing can happen to you. It's a funny city that Pattaya.

1 minute ago, metempsychotic said:

in the exact situation you are referring to, no one is responsible for the non-existent bill because it never happened.

Sure thing, but try to explain to all the people later you didn't pay the bill for the girl ... no one will support you.

If she would have been really bad, it could have been worse for him before he even was out of the restaurant.

1 minute ago, RedPill said:

Sure thing, but try to explain to all the people later you didn't pay the bill for the girl ... no one will support you.

If she would have been really bad, it could have been worse for him before he even was out of the restaurant.

explain what?

it never happened.

5 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

explain what?

it never happened.

5555 explain why he ran away not paying the bill. 

If it would had happened, the question in the topic of the thread.

You have no chance to say ... hey, the girl is last on the table, by law, she has to pay. 

Come on, get real ???? Not in Pattaya ok!

31 minutes ago, griffon2011 said:

I have a pretty good idea of the outcome of this party so when she goes to the ladies room I follow her, hand her 1000 baht for my one Singha and leave the bar through the hotel.

Why didn't you settle your bill with the service staff or cashier?

Now worst case scenario she also walks away including your money. If the manager would see you again I don't think telling him "I gave the girl the money to pay my part" would convince him.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now worst case scenario she also walks away including your money. If the manager would see you again I don't think telling him "I gave the girl the money to pay my part" would convince him.

oops responed to wrong post. delete

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

i think he extricated himself with quite a bit of class.

3 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

i think he extricated himself with quite a bit of class.

I don't think so. He get's the beer over his face .. he asks for the bill, he pays it.

And then he leaves. 

We don't have to agree ???? But I think that's the better and smarter solution in Pattaya, when together with a hooker he doesn't know, which he was. Nothing classy about that. 

Better be safe than sorry and keep your calm!

Archived