Jump to content
BANGKOK
JudeMartin

Application Non-Immigrant Visa (O) for American

Recommended Posts

Hello - I would like to download he correct application to start my retirement visa process for 2019. I live in Tucson, Az. I realize I will have to go to Los Angeles to submit/sign. How much time will I need to complete the initial steps while I am in the USA? Do I understand correctly that I apply for the non-immigrant visa in my home country and complete the remainder of the process after I have arrived in Thailand? I am hoping to get this done quickly. I plan to do all the necessary work myself. Thank you.

Jude-Martin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have three options:

1. Complete the full Non-O/A Long Stay Visa process which involves medical and police checks (can take time.)

2. Non-O Visa process that is simple and fast. When in Thailand extend Permited to Stay at Immigration.

3. Enter on Visa Waiver and apply for Non-O in Bangkok (takes time.)

Download forms from LA Consulate site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My suggestion.

Look at the O-A visa first.

If you have the O-A you will be stamped in for a year and that will give you plenty of time to get your head around all the other situations that can arise.

Means reporting to Imm'office every 90 days, same as the O visa does, and subsequent extension you will need to apply for, then you will have a clearer picture how to do things.

Edited by overherebc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My suggestion.

Look at the O-A visa first.

If you have the O-A you will be stamped in for a year and that will give you plenty of time to get your head around all the other situations that can arise.

Means reporting to Imm'office every 90 days, same as the O visa does, and subsequent extension you will need to apply for, then you will have a clearer picture how to do things.

No It does NOT,. With a Non O he must go out of the country every 90 day and with a Non O-A he can as you say, report inside Thailand directly to the Immigreation.

 

glegolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, glegolo said:

No It does NOT,. With a Non O he must go out of the country every 90 day and with a Non O-A he can as you say, report inside Thailand directly to the Immigreation.

 

glegolo

If he arrives on a single entry non O he will have to convert to an extension but it looks as though even that is not possible ( see UBJ's post )

O-A is the best, better than any other option with very little Imm' contact for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, glegolo said:

No It does NOT,. With a Non O he must go out of the country every 90 day and with a Non O-A he can as you say, report inside Thailand directly to the Immigreation.

Not all non-o visas are multiple entry visas. The 90 day entry from a single entry non-o allows a person to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not all non-o visas are multiple entry visas. The 90 day entry from a single entry non-o allows a person to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration.

you could though point out that I WAS correct  Non O = out of country and Non O-A tay within and report. No need to discuss this anymore...

 

glegolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, overherebc said:

My suggestion.

Look at the O-A visa first.

If you have the O-A you will be stamped in for a year and that will give you plenty of time to get your head around all the other situations that can arise.

Means reporting to Imm'office every 90 days, same as the O visa does, and subsequent extension you will need to apply for, then you will have a clearer picture how to do things.

Applying in your home-country (USA) for a Non Immigrant Multi-Entry OA Visa is for sure your best option, when you meet the requirements.

As mentioned by @overtherebc it allows you to stay a full year hassle-free in Thailand and when making trips in/out Thailand  during that period you don't need re-entry permits.  You only need to do a 90 day report at the end of every 90 consecutive days in Thailand (and if you make a trip abroad the teller starts at 0 again on your return).  When you time your last trip abroad somewhere at the end of the 1st year and return before the end of your 1 year visa validity, you can stay yet another year.  Like the 1st year you would then have to make 90 day reports at the end of every 90 consecutive days in Thailand.  The difference being that for trips abroad you would during that 2nd year now need re-entry permits to keep your permission to stay alive.

So with the Non Imm OA Visa you can in effect get almost 2 years of stay in Thailand with a minimum of Immigration administrative hassle.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, glegolo said:

you could though point out that I WAS correct  Non O = out of country and Non O-A tay within and report. No need to discuss this anymore...

 

glegolo

You were not entirely correct. Of course you have to leave the country when the visa expires. That's why it's called a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa and it's a single entry. The reason for applying for it at home is the simplicity to extend it 1 year after 60 days at the local immigration office. The problem will always be to open a Thai bank account in time for the extension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You were not entirely correct. Of course you have to leave the country when the visa expires. That's why it's called a 90 days Non-immigrant O Visa and it's a single entry. The reason for applying for it at home is the simplicity to extend it 1 year after 60 days at the local immigration office. The problem will always be to open a Thai bank account in time for the extension. 

A lot of words, I were still correct. Non O = out...  Non O-A = stay and report inside Thailand. No need to use 1200 words to explain that.

 

glegolo

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glegolo said:

A lot of words, I were still correct. Non O = out...  Non O-A = stay and report inside Thailand. No need to use 1200 words to explain that.

 

glegolo

No, you're wrong. You don't leave the country. After 60 days you apply for the 1 year extension. After that the first year is the same as with a O-A Visa. The difference is that it's so much easier to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa compared to the O-A. Don't argue about things you don't know anything about. Like I said earlier,the only problem will be the bank account.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Don't forget about the money that is necessary to qualify!

And the benefit of the O-A means you can do it using money in the US. No need to worry about, has the money been here long enough to get the extension, will my monthly income be enough to get an extension.

The O-A gives you time to relax for at least a year and get things sorted with no rush.

No need to tie up 800,000 baht at O interest and if you don't like being here no hassles involved in try to get it back out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And the benefit of the O-A means you can do it using money in the US. No need to worry about, has the money been here long enough to get the extension, will my monthly income be enough to get an extension.

The O-A gives you time to relax for at least a year and get things sorted with no rush.

No need to tie up 800,000 baht at O interest and if you don't like being here no hassles involved in try to get it back out.

The interest is not 0, it's 0,5% in a savings account and 1,5% (12 months) in a Fixed Deposit Account which is accepted by Immigration. 

Edited by Max69xl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...