Flood death toll in Cambodia rises to 16

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Sept. 22 (Xinhua) -- Mekong River floods and flash floods in other places have so far caused 16 people dead and five others injured in Cambodia, Keo Vy, a spokesman for the National Committee for Disaster Management (NCDM), said on Sunday.

Among the deceased were seven children, he said.

The floods have hit parts of eight provinces out of the kingdom's 25 cities and provinces since early this month, he said, adding that affected provinces include Kratie, Stung Treng, Kampong Cham, Tboung Khmum, Kampong Thom, Prey Veng, Kandal and Preah Vihear.

"About 89,722 families were affected, and 14,583 of them were evacuated to higher ground," he told Xinhua.

The spokesman added that some 68,780 houses and 59,242 hectares of rice fields and other crops have also been inundated with floodwaters.

Floods usually hit Cambodia between August and October. Last year, Mekong River and flash floods killed a total of 63 people, according to the NCDM.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-09/22/c_138412717.htm

8 hours ago, geovalin said:

"About 89,722 families were affected, and 14,583 of them were evacuated to higher ground

is it the first time the mekong river  overflowed and  flooded that particular area? no, i guess! so how come 89,722 families were living there? RIP

17 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

is it the first time the mekong river  overflowed and  flooded that particular area? no, i guess! so how come 89,722 families were living there? RIP

Human memory is short or no where else to go. Land is more fertile after flooding (and volcanic eruption), fish are closer and transport is easier. As far as I know almost all major capital city have been built near water. 

3 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

quite a lot of cambodia is a flood plain, Ive flown in there and seen nothing but water, people live there, its a productive area

Archived