Marriage Visa and border run every 90 days

Because the Consulate in Los Angeles saw to give me only 6mo on my Visa (instead of the normal year) and it can not be fixed according to Immigration in Bangkok, I am going to have to do my 1st extension based on marriage. I have scoured the TV forums but can not find the answers to these Q's:

1. If I cross a border and return right near the expiration date of the multi-entry Visa, will I get 90 more days to stay in the Kingdom or is the Visa expiration date mean have to be out after that date.  Reason is it will be close seasoning the 400k.

2. Will my extension be the same as my current visa as a multi-entry visa?

Thanks in advance everyone.

• Confused 1

It seems very odd they only issued your non-o visa for 6 months. Are you sure it was not a error when they did the visa sticker.

Immigration cannot not fix visas. It can only be done at the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

1. If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you will get a new 90 day entry as long as you enter prior its valid until date.

You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time for 400k baht to be in bank for 2 months.

2. Your extension will be valid for one year. If you want to travel you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It seems very odd they only issued your non-o visa for 6 months. Are you sure it was not a error when they did the visa sticker.

Immigration cannot not fix visas. It can only be done at the Consular Affairs Department of the MFA.

1. If you have a multiple entry non-o visa you will get a new 90 day entry as long as you enter prior its valid until date.

You could also apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time for 400k baht to be in bank for 2 months.

2. Your extension will be valid for one year. If you want to travel you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country.

Yup, very unusual.  MFA would not do anything about it, tried.  My belief is that immigration wants me to go through the extension process to vetted if I really am living with my wife and kids here in CM.  

Good to know on the 90 days that extends past the use by date.  Too bad I'm short about 10 days to go back to the US for tax season, could avoid the whole extension process.

Thanks for your help U. Joe

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

MFA would not do anything about it, tried. 

I don't understand that at all. The have taken care of similar problems before. 

Did they contact the consulate about it find out why is was only 6 months.

I assume you went to the Consular Affairs Department on Chaeng Wattana road not the main office of the MFA.

Wife called the number for them you gave us in another post a while ago when error discovered.  Have shifted my plans to exit and return on Oct 16, 2 days before expiration date, giving me another 90 days and then head back to the US a bit early for tax season thus avoiding the whole extension thing.

Thanks again for your time Joe

Edited by DrPhibes
Content

28 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Wife called the number for them you gave us in another post a while ago when error discovered. 

Not sure which number she called. If your wife got the wrong person on the phone she could certainly get the wrong answer.

Best to make a trip to the Consular Affairs Department to get it sorted out. As a I wrote before it has been done.

There are also 3 regional offices that can initiate the process but it requires them to send your passport to Bangkok to get it sorted.