Paradise lost: Thais slam air pollution and trash for spoiling idyllic southern island

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How will the rich and powerful mafia families that rule within most of the (former) paradisiac islands survive, when no more tourists will flock and bring their ca$h, due to the excessive dirt, pollution, cheating, corruption and crime within all those lovely islands of Thailand ?

13 hours ago, Yinn said:

No. I not want to go. For what? 

The north, north east and central make pollution themself. 

South pollution come from Indonesia. Malaysia boss.

https://in.reuters.com/article/indonesia-charoen/indonesias-charoen-in-280-mln-palm-oil-investment-idINJAK20679820080311

Well no, not all Malaysian bosses. To understand the pollution in the north you also need to study the investment of CP in the Shan States. The corn produced is then trucked to China for animal feed.

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

here you are pictures from Bangkok

smoke2.jpg

smoke1.jpg

smog.jpg

When? Yesterday?

Today Ranong lot better. Not hurt eyes. Have wind. Can see some blue sky. (Not perfect)

phuket less than yesterday also (max 170)

Yala etc still terrible 

1791DCD9-37C3-4F8C-BD54-71DAE67B98B0.jpeg

Chiang Mai was over 200 on that same index and no action from the central government. Absolutely disgusting, and the reason why many expats decided to leave. Data for the Shan States was terrifying, 600 and over. There is an enormous problem with the production of corn and contract farming and the govt. will not admit it.

5 minutes ago, cmsally said:

https://in.reuters.com/article/indonesia-charoen/indonesias-charoen-in-280-mln-palm-oil-investment-idINJAK20679820080311

Well no, not all Malaysian bosses. To understand the pollution in the north you also need to study the investment of CP in the Shan States. The corn produced is then trucked to China for animal feed.

Malaysian owners. (Chinese Malaysian)  (Some thai also) Indo companies. Now China owners also.

North air pollution is different reason to south air pollution. Different month. Because palm oil.

3 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Chiang Mai was over 200 on that same index and no action from the central government. Absolutely disgusting, and the reason why many expats decided to leave. Data for the Shan States was terrifying, 600 and over. There is an enormous problem with the production of corn and contract farming and the govt. will not admit it.

Yes, the north terrible. I not want live there sure. 150 to much for me. 

Yesterday here one day terrible. I hate it. If same as CM I will move sure. I hope it not same yesterday again. 

i not like Prayut. But if the people who live there not want to stop, what can he do. Can not control the people himself. Up to them. 

if same thing in south, the people not do it. But we can not control Indonesia.

I think these posts show a lack of understanding of the problem. Corporate investment in agriculture is a huge part of the problem and the Thais very much a part of that . Until the government puts the interests of its people before its corporate backers, the problem will not go away.

80% of the coastline below Songkhla is completely tourist free except for small community beaches (i.e. local weekenders) and the city beaches. I was there two years ago and there was trash everywhere, it was huge disappointment. It was enough to make me say to myself don't waste my time going back.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Indonesian authorities have claimed that some of these fires were on plantations operated by local subsidiaries of Malaysian palm oil firms, which the MPOA has refuted.

The fires, whether deliberate or accidental, got out of control and spread to the plantations owned by the Malaysian firms, said Mr Dass.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/we-didnt-start-fire-say-malaysian-palm-oil-firms

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

I think these posts show a lack of understanding of the problem. Corporate investment in agriculture is a huge part of the problem and the Thais very much a part of that . Until the government puts the interests of its people before its corporate backers, the problem will not go away.

I understand. The op about air pollution, now, in the south.

it come from Indonesia. Not Thailand.

not same problem as north pollution. 

25 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Yes, that was my point, and they're Thai...

Op about air pollution in south. Not air pollution in north. 

Different.

The wildfires in Sumatra and Kalimantan have caused thick clouds of smoke to drift towards Malaysia and Singapore, and sent air quality levels plunging to very unhealthy levels in all three countries.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/19/asia/malaysia-indonesia-fires-smog-trnd/index.html

i think I understand. THIS air problem NOW in south because Indo and Malaysia. 

If you blame Thailand/Prayut then you wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Indonesian authorities have claimed that some of these fires were on plantations operated by local subsidiaries of Malaysian palm oil firms, which the MPOA has refuted.

The fires, whether deliberate or accidental, got out of control and spread to the plantations owned by the Malaysian firms, said Mr Dass.

https://www.todayonline.com/world/we-didnt-start-fire-say-malaysian-palm-oil-firms

I understand. The op about air pollution, now, in the south.

it come from Indonesia. Not Thailand.

not same problem as north pollution. 

Op about air pollution in south. Not air pollution in north. 

Different.

The wildfires in Sumatra and Kalimantan have caused thick clouds of smoke to drift towards Malaysia and Singapore, and sent air quality levels plunging to very unhealthy levels in all three countries.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/19/asia/malaysia-indonesia-fires-smog-trnd/index.html

i think I understand. THIS air problem NOW in south because Indo and Malaysia. 

If you blame Thailand/Prayut then you wrong. 

So you are saying that Thailand and Thai companies have absolutely no investment in palm oil production on Indonesian soil?

36 minutes ago, cmsally said:

So you are saying that Thailand and Thai companies have absolutely no investment in palm oil production on Indonesian soil?

No. I not say that. Palm oil big business.

you english right? Your country the same.....

Anglo-Eastern Plantations Plc was formed and floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1985 to acquire and develop four estates in North Sumatra, previously owned by several UK based plantation companies.

The largest of these estates was Tasik, whose development, as a 6,000 hectare (ha) oil palm estate, commenced in 1983. The other three smaller estates, totalling 3,700ha comprising rubber and cocoa, had been established in the 1920s. Funds raised from the flotation were used to complete the development of Tasik, where a 45mt/hr palm oil mill was commissioned in 1991, later upgraded to 60mt/hr in 2005.

https://www.angloeastern.co.uk/about-us/our-business

Will you complain to England government? 

I know about the palm oil business. Have 45 rai of palm. 

I understand the palm oil business/political

We do not burn. Compost the leaf.

Have lot information can post, but thai language. 

This one English for you and the member to learn. 

I not want to argue.

IO_Oil_Palm_2017_EN.aspx

BB9C3089-4D92-4D52-BF56-92C710B01C73.jpeg

This one English for you and the member to learn. 

I not want to argue.

We can all do searches and read the information you post. You stated before it was the Malaysians that were to blame. Now you seem to admit the whole business is funded by multiple countries , which most of us know. Do you think there is a possibility Thailand could be one of those countries (just a yes/no answer without deflecting the blame to other countries will do!).

3 hours ago, cmsally said:

I not say that. Where I say that?

I say the air pollution now in the south come from fire in Indonesia. Is true.

22 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I not say that. Where I say that?

I say the air pollution now in the south come from fire in Indonesia. Is true.

I asked (in relation to investment in Indonesian oil palms) " Do you think there is a possibility Thailand could be one of those countries (just a yes/no answer without deflecting the blame to other countries will do!). "

I was not talking about Indonesian smog. If you wish not to answer the question that is fine, but please stop deflecting and give a straight answer (or say you wish not to answer).

...And it's not only Indonesia and N Thailand that have fires.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/more-firefighters-sent-to-khuan-khreng-swamp-fire-in-nakhon-si-thammarat/

In fact fires such as these (many in Indonesia also) are worse as they are in peat bogs that release Carbon that has been stored into the air. Very hard to put out too.

the majority of the problem happening right now in the south is due to the fires in indo. fingers can be pointed in all directions  regarding who is to blame. what country they come from etc. let's be honest though....money doesn't give a s**t about blame. cha ching. 

generally hat yai has decent quality air compared to some parts of thailand. as for the garbage. well that is a different story all together. 

7 hours ago, cmsally said:

In fact fires such as these (many in Indonesia also) are worse as they are in peat bogs that release Carbon that has been stored into the air. Very hard to put out too.

No problem now. Phuket nearly green now. Ranong green again. Everyone happy again. It terrible yesterday.

chiangmai quite bad. Maybe they burning up there already? Not because of Indonesia.

64D4EB2B-0933-4FD4-9040-AB381884E77A.png

C7AF6E37-CCAD-4019-8871-FA20FF662022.png

19 hours ago, Yinn said:

you english right? Your country the same.....

Anglo-Eastern Plantations Plc was formed and floated on the London Stock Exchange in 1985 to acquire and develop four estates in North Sumatra, previously owned by several UK based plantation companies.

The largest of these estates was Tasik, whose development, as a 6,000 hectare (ha) oil palm estate, commenced in 1983. The other three smaller estates, totalling 3,700ha comprising rubber and cocoa, had been established in the 1920s. Funds raised from the flotation were used to complete the development of Tasik, where a 45mt/hr palm oil mill was commissioned in 1991, later upgraded to 60mt/hr in 2005.

https://www.angloeastern.co.uk/about-us/our-business

Will you complain to England government? 

Well said Yinn!

On 9/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, Yinn said:

The air pollution come from Indonesia.

rich Malaysia company buy the forest in Indonesia, fire the forest for palm oil tree. 

It terrible here now. Smoke, can not see blue sky at all.

i hate this people.

i show the good place to go in thailand. Not have rubbish. I go Saturday. Air ok. But now it will be bad.

FA75EBB1-2F49-4629-B7FD-62726B33D73A.jpeg

AE8B4FB3-A4DD-40EE-A523-9A3C066339D4.jpeg

8F6D8586-6DC3-4D95-BEC3-2B4471BCE322.jpeg

3993395D-6BE8-4195-A660-2DA18CAF824B.jpeg

89C1ABE3-AADE-4224-9E63-197EFD3CF274.jpeg

AAB189DC-1A65-412B-B942-F6EFAC9EB72A.jpeg

25FC4D63-7064-44CC-8E15-ABDC488EB997.jpeg

3BE12706-83BA-4905-89A1-65C02801DCE1.jpeg

so move  to chiang mai, lol, 555, think yourself lucky, Chiang mai was the most polluted city in the world last year, taking years of your life expectancy. When everything is going pear shaped don't forget to smile smile smile 555

Archived