Driver fined B400 for reckless driving, yet to face bill for fixing streetlight

webfact

Driver fined B400 for reckless driving, yet to face bill for fixing streetlight

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1569212524_1-org.jpg

The car mounted the traffic island and slammed into the streetlight early Saturday morning (Sept 21). Photo: Thalang Police

PHUKET: A woman has been fined B400 for hitting a street lamp on a traffic island at the intersection of the new underpass at the turn-off to the airport on Saturday (Sept 21), but has yet to be informed how much she will need to pay for damages for the broken streetlight, which landed on the roof of her car.

Capt Ponlawat Ketsattha of the Thalang Police was called to the intersection at 7:10am.

He and fellow officers arrived to find a black Bangkok-registered BMW 118i car on the traffic island with its front end still crunched into the lamp post.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-fined-b400-for-reckless-driving-yet-to-face-bill-for-fixing-streetlight-72982.php#H5tEHWyI55V28tSl.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-23

Wow, a $13 US fine. That will really discourage her from driving recklessly from now on (NOT). Ridiculous.

As it's only a 1-series Beemer, I don't think she's at the socio-economic level to be able to pull the "do you know who I am" card with regards to repairing/replacing the light pole, but I wouldn't doubt if she avoids the full cost of that with a strategic "brown envelope".

Should have been 4,000 baht, 400 is just too low to change what needs to be changed!  The penalty wherever it might be must be sizable enough to deter such a thing from happening again in the future.  The police should have also determine as to the reason why she crashed into the pole instead of it being unanswered just to show you the police in Thailand have no training as to how to determine or obtain answers to any investigation. 

Phone texting might be a good start and elimination by asking for her phone.

11 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Should have been 4,000 baht, 400 is just too low to change what needs to be changed!

Should have been as in Switzerland ..

Pay according to his income or property;
many years ago a Swede had to pay a fine of one million Swiss francs for a great excess of speed because he is a billionaire in his country.

3 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Should have been as in Switzerland ..

Pay according to his income or property;
many years ago a Swede had to pay a fine of one million Swiss francs for a great excess of speed because he is a billionaire in his country.

True, I guess if we were on a forum for Switzerland but we are talking about Thailand which 400 baht isn't going to deter a thing even for the poorest of the poor. Even 4000 baht would be too low even from my suggestion but you know how the Thais will whine which is the reason the police and government too scared to go higher thinking they are doing a good deed for the Thai people?

When the lady gets the car fixed if possible or a new one she will bring it to the temple have it blessed that will take care of any future accidents?????

Archived