Thai Navy delays frigate from South Korea in favor of Chinese landing ship

webfact

The RTN delays frigate from South Korea in favor of Chinese landing ship

royalthainavyship.jpg

The Royal Thai Navy has ordered a delay in the building of the second multi-purpose frigate, by South Korean shipbuilder Daewoo, because it wants a landing ship to be delivered first for use in disaster relief operations and as a support ship for its submarine.

A well-informed RTN source said that Commander-in-Chief Admiral Luechai Rooddit ordered Daewoo to delay the construction of the second frigate, a vessel estimated to cost about 15 billion baht, because the RTN think that the Chinese built landing ship, costing about 6.1 billion baht, should be given priority because it will be deployed as a support ship for the RTN’s first submarine, also being built in China, and be used in disaster relief operations.

The first frigate, originally named HTMS Tachin, was renamed HTMS Bhumibol Adulyadej in honor of the late King by HM the King, and was delivered last December.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-rtn-delays-frigate-from-south-korea-in-favor-of-chinese-landing-ship/

thaipbs.jpg

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and be used in disaster relief operations

Thats the only way that ship will ever see action. With the next flood it will move towards the disaster area and all 4,500 admirals will point out what a smart 6.1 billion baht investment it was.

Needless to say they could also have purchased 5 inflatable boats for 50k a piece to have the same operational capacity, but those wont inflate the pockets and egos.

6 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Thats the only way that ship will ever see action. With the next flood it will move towards the disaster area and all 4,500 admirals will point out what a smart 6.1 billion baht investment it was.

Needless to say they could also have purchased 5 inflatable boats for 50k a piece to have the same operational capacity, but those wont inflate the pockets and egos.

The subs and the Chinese landing ship will be taken straight up the Mekong where the admirals can sip Champagne watching the peasants float by.

If the Chinese allow sufficient water from upstream

9 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

" as a support ship for its disaster relief operations for its submarine."

You would think the aircraft carrier could be converted to a submarine rescue vehicle. Or better still permanently tethered together will avoid the searching.

I don't understand why you have to delay the delivery of a warship from one country to take delivery of one from a different country. I suppose it might be for fiscal reasons but warships take time to build, equip and train crews to use. Is this beyond the capability of the RTN.

2 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

They are currently being invaded by the Chinese. Just like the Japs were invited in 80 years ago

did you mean " invited the Chinese like they invited Japan ..." hummm interesting, thus not invaded

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

China is catching up in almost all technology, it might soon overtake Korean products.

With the infiltration of Chinese spies of course they're catching up. Not much innovation happens in China, the leader at stealing others technology.

samsung vs huawei was never a contest Hong Kong will soon be fully under the party line again, just now waiting to see the Taiwanese  push back against the party, most of its people rejecting their overtones unlike the Thai peoples overlords.  

44 minutes ago, tso310 said:

I don't understand why you have to delay the delivery of a warship from one country to take delivery of one from a different country. I suppose it might be for fiscal reasons but warships take time to build, equip and train crews to use. Is this beyond the capability of the RTN.

I suspect it may be more of a trained manpower problem rather than fiscal (cash flow) as they already have the infrastructure to support the Frigate as the ist has already been delivered.  (this is 2nd in class) These are really the only reasons for delaying delivery.  The LPD is much less sophisticated than the Frigates.

Every shipyard loves it when the customer changes anything in the original specification or timetable.  Any enforced delay by Thailand on the delivery dates will vastly increase the final costs.

20 minutes ago, tso310 said:

The full/linked article says the new Amphib will be dual-hatted as the support/tender platform for the new submarines.  Don't know much about the RTN really, but my general sense of their accumen is they are going to have enough on their plate training and integrating a new submarine fleet.  Folding the new Amphib in might be a stretch, but I see the logic in wanting to prioritize that over receiving a second frigate. 

It must be madness translating all the tech/maintenance/operational/training manuals from Chinese to Thai, and then getting Thai Train-the-Trainers through the schooling pipe line.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

be used in disaster relief operations.

So it's going to be docked next to the aircraft carrier,that does not have planes,

just waiting for a disaster, or to retrieve a sunken Submarine,which is more likely

to happen first.

regards worgeordie

On 9/23/2019 at 2:26 PM, Oziex1 said:

Does it come with 1 million chinese soldiers ready to storm ashore.

No, but they are close at hand and can deploy rapidly when needed by any of their Asian friends.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Archived