TM.30 / TM.28 - More Mixed Signals

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is what I have done many times.

At some I was asked to put my name on the registration but no need for my passport just my wife's ID card number.

There are many hotels that don't allow the wife/gf to register when they see her farang hubby/bf. But it works most of the time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

But, if they file a report or not is totally irrelevant. Many provinces don't give a c**p about the TM30  when expats are coming back from other provinces, and an ordinary tourist doesn't have to bother. NEVER EVER.

I agree that many posts on TM30 are way over the top (e.g. the hysterical one about not doing any domestic travel anymore in Thailand because of TM30).

But that long-stayers and ordinary tourists should NEVER EVER bother is not correct and actually bad advice.

It's true that you ONLY need to bother when visiting your provincial IO for an extension of stay.  But in that case, you better insure that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are staying, otherwise you risk that your application will be denied.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That is the wrong question though isn't it. More correctly, does the report made by a hotel make it to the immigration records. The hotel is required by law to report any foreigner staying with them... maybe they do, maybe they don't. That report should include details like passport number and TM6 number. Does that report then end up on a foreigner's personal record with immigration? I expect that data would need to be manually transferred... does seem unlikely with 20 million tourists alone. 

But it does sometimes.....

The report by the hotel does make it to your immigration record.  I recently went into the office in Chiang Rai with my wife to report since CR immigration requires it even for travel within Thailand. The immigration officer was able to see which hotel I stayed it in Bangkok.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, statman78 said:

The report by the hotel does make it to your immigration record.  I recently went into the office in Chiang Rai with my wife to report since CR immigration requires it even for travel within Thailand. The immigration officer was able to see which hotel I stayed it in Bangkok.

If you hand over your passport. If not, and whoever you're with doesn't - they have no idea. 

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

My missus always does the booking for hotels and houses. Been to many a hotel with her and they don't ask me for anything. Was just in Pattaya at the weekend and I didn't even have my passport. 

Just more proof of how dumb the TM30 really is.

It is isn't it! Criminals operating in Thailand will most probably have a local handler or contact, whatever one calls them. As long as this local chap handles all the logistics including bookings and all, the criminals are free to go anywhere they please and the stupid authorities will be none the wiser about their whereabouts! National security my ar$3.

Edited by outsider

1 hour ago, SANSAI said:

Yesterday I returned to Chiang Mai from a 6 day trip to Bangkok and Pattaya. and after we returned, my wife, who is the owner of my accommodation here, rang CM Immigration and asked whether she needs to submit a new TM 30. The answer was yes and she should bring a Taxi receipt or boarding passes to show that it is within 24 hours.

This morning we went to Immigration armed with the completed TM30 form, copy of her house book, ID card, my passport, my boarding pass and the original of the previous TM 30 receipt she submitted in February this year.

They kept all the documents, returned the boarding pass which I don't think the I.O. even looked at and the previous original TM30 receipt endorsed with todays' date and an initial. 

The attached notice is on the desk of the I.O.

CM Imm TM30.jpg

Your information and the notice contradict each other, the notice states that after the initial notification, a new TM.30 is needed only if the foreigner has been outside of Thailand and returns.

In your case you are saying they needed a new one after returning from visiting another province in Thailand.

And they wonder why people get confused!!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You just have to know what your local immigration office requires.

I don't need to submit the TM30 when travelling within Thailand.

Funny about that. I went in there and got two WILDY different versions of what they require from two different desks on the same day! My conclusion is to probably not to bother to ever do a TM30 unless and until it's explicitly demanded. This stuff is crazy making! 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

I wonder what they would do if we all just refused to report .

Everybody don't have to report. Tourists never officially have to report,but in some offices they want the TM30 to be submitted when applying for an extension. Many local offices don't require a report when travelling inside Thailand. That only leaves the offices wanting the TM30 report both when coming back from abroad and from another province.

26 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Your information and the notice contradict each other, the notice states that after the initial notification, a new TM.30 is needed only if the foreigner has been outside of Thailand and returns.

In your case you are saying they needed a new one after returning from visiting another province in Thailand.

And they wonder why people get confused!!

Maybe it's the poster who's confused, not his  immigration office's requirements.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, outsider said:

It is isn't it! Criminals operating in Thailand will most probably have a local handler or contact, whatever one calls them. As long as this local chap handles all the logistics including bookings and all, the criminals are free to go anywhere they please and the stupid authorities will be none the wiser about their whereabouts! National security my ar$3.

Why is the TM30 report dumb if some hotels and guesthouses refuses to submit the report? Those places are breaking the law. It's as simple as that. 

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Funny about that. I went in there and got two WILDY different versions of what they require from two different desks on the same day! My conclusion is to probably not to bother to ever do a TM30 unless and until it's explicitly demanded. This stuff is crazy making! 

My experience is: Ask the correct person and you probably get the correct info. You don't ask about retirement rules at the TM 30 desk,right? And the other way around. 

16 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

My experience is: Ask the correct person and you probably get the correct info. You don't ask about retirement rules at the TM 30 desk,right? And the other way around. 

Actually in some cases there is a huge FLAW in your above argument. People on RETIREMENT EXTENSIONS have been treated differently at Jomtien regarding TM30s for a long time. Particularly for those on retirement extensions and OWNING and living in their own condo. Basically -- NOT REQUIRED EVER. So brilliant one do you actually think in that case that asking both desks is not worth doing? I won't even repeat again the advice that I was given because it will just add to the massive confusion out there as it was completely contradictory. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If a hotel does a online report of a person staying all immigration offices can check to see it one was done when a person goes to immigration.

But if it is the alien 's wife who records the couple at the hotel with her Thai identity card, Immigration will never know who was the alien with her, since this one never shows his passport or his pink ID card

I'm going to put this another way. I am not the smartest person around but I'm not the dumbest either. I've read the forums. I've asked directly at immigration. After all that I truly have NO IDEA what is the correct thing I should personally do regarding TM30s.

Bangkok -- we have a problem! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

At Sakon Nakhon, which is the province where I live, the chief and his deputy have the same answer:
you do not need to fill a TM30 if you leave one or more days anywhere in Thailand.

Until their policy changes, then you'll be fined.

Until April this year foreigners registered in Bangkok, were told no TM30 required.

Then in April the policy changed and they fined hundreds for not previously filing a TM30 that they previously didn't enforce.

I follow a simple rule.

I file a new TM30 when returning from abroad.

I shall now and for the future file a new TM30 at my IO, if I stay in another Province and a hotel files a TM30, but if I stay with friends and no TM30 is filed, then I have no need to file another TM30 on return home.

To the question 'do I need to file a new TM30 when out of Province for a few days', I witnessed the same IO give two different answers to two different foreigners, within two weeks of each other.

'No, TM30 not required'.

'Yes, new TM30 required'.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I stayed it a 5 star hotel in Bangkok in July. They didn't ask me for diddly squat. All under the missus' name. 

You don't understand why people are getting so upset by the TM30? Why do you care if they are? Why are you getting so upset? 

O.K, then the (our) first question should be when entering a hotel or guesthouse:

Do you send a TM 30 to IO - or NOT  ????

Edited by puck2

2 hours ago, Knocker33 said:

I wonder what they would do if we all just refused to report .

Good idea!

But the typical problem in Thailand, you cannot go against this stupid rules (and behavior of some IOs).

In a normal country you would fight against this super nonsense by going to the court/s (and you would win).

Losing the TM30 fines is a big money problem for the Thai state coffers (and maybe under table money). This stupid behavior will be supported by all means. Losing face would be another reason.

2 hours ago, statman78 said:

Nothing will happen until you need to do an extension of stay.  They could refuse to approve the extension until the fine is paid

Exactly. I used to have a ME visa, I never reported even though our local office was one of the first to start enforcing the rule a few years ago. I was fined on the first occasion.

if i ever needed to near the immigration office, I would exit and re-enter, then register. 

If if I had no need to go near an office then I wouldn’t bother.

There is a post from an moderator, in the southern forum, who said when he went to our local office, Hat Yai, to report after a weekend away to file a new TM30 they told him that it would probably be scrapped soon.