Jomtien beach vendors complain new signs are driving away tourists

Rimmer

12 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

So they should devalue their currency so you cheap Charlie’s can live decently again?  Most tourists doesn’t care if the baht is 20% stronger than usual, only you poor expats car.

They should devalue their currency to try and tempt the tourists back. They are not coming here in anything like the numbers of previous years.

Nothing to do with the "cheap Charlies" you seem to dislike so much.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a foreigner and have been in Thailand. If you want to find out the "Truth" about "Tourest" in Pattaya and Jomtine just ask all the hotels both large and small, including bars (bar girls) etc. How many foreign tourest have came. Just 3 weeks ago i went to Rayong beach and it was 100#% empty. Now a part of that is the strong Thai baht but really having to report the T30 is stupid. I read also thailand is stopping the TM6 arrival cards. What they should be doing in getting super computer servers and just scan documents. Instead Thailand prefers paper and NOT paper less work systems and like everything "Three-Fold ++" i think that's burocacy because i know their are many smart Thais that can improve systems but the government seems to keep systems from 200 years ago????????????

14 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

So they should devalue their currency so you cheap Charlie’s can live decently again?  Most tourists doesn’t care if the baht is 20% stronger than usual, only you poor expats car.

Obviously you dont like tourists!! If were poor ex pats and cheap charlies then how about we all get out of Thailand then "you" can go back to the rice fields and your buffalos with your Mercedes and BMWs that you brought with Farangs money!!!. No tourists, your rice fields are going to be so busy.

What may be prompting tourists to go elsewhere:

Corruption

Pollution

Double pricing

Crime

Overvalued Baht

Competition by neighboring countries

Traffic out of control

Lack of safety

Substandard policing

And social media that exposes the ills that cannot be hidden as before.

18 hours ago, Totoandlilly said:

So what is wrong with living decently? or is that also now banned for expats ? ???? 

Must we presume that you don't live here and are just a tourist or never even been here ?

On 9/23/2019 at 2:19 AM, lonewolf99 said:

You can't drive away tourists that do not exist in the first place.

The blame lies with the 1984/Animal Farm Government and it's madness at trying to control everyone. Including the locals.

Jomtien beach would be packed like 2004/2005 if western tourists could get back to back 90 day visas and the baht was devalued by 50% or more.

And clean up the garbage big time....

Simple.

If I could have back to back 90 day visas I would probably spend about five months a year in Thailand during the winter.  As it is, I only spend about three months with the remainder in my home country.  I guess that is about two months loss of revenue that goes into Thailand and instead goes into my country.  Or, I could spend a couple of months in Cambodia, Malaysia, etc.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, lonewolf99 said:

The blame lies with the 1984/Animal Farm Government and it's madness at trying to control everyone. Including the locals.

Jomtien beach would be packed like 2004/2005 if western tourists could get back to back 90 day visas and the baht was devalued by 50% or more.

Simple.

I agree with your post, but please understand the Baht was floated many years ago, To devalue it is not that simple. It's value is what people think it is. If changing the value of a currency on the world market is simple why don't the Brits revalue the pound upwards and solve all the pensioner problems in Thailand. Say 100 baht to the pound.? Or the Aussies with their dollar, or the Canadians etc etc.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:13 AM, Totoandlilly said:

Time to respond with an old post from LDoc:

LDoc

Oh Wow! Your credit card game is so strong. You big strong man? Oh, you too strong and too big and so much a man. Too much man. Oh, me so jelly. So big, so strong, too big and strong. Too much man! You make lil man look so little. Such a big man!

1 minute ago, JimmyJ said:

Time to respond with an old post from LDoc:

LDoc

Oh Wow! Your credit card game is so strong. You big strong man? Oh, you too strong and too big and so much a man. Too much man. Oh, me so jelly. So big, so strong, too big and strong. Too much man! You make lil man look so little. Such a big man!

What on earth are you trying to say? me so jelly? really?

6 hours ago, emptypockets said:

why don't the Brits revalue the pound upwards and solve all the pensioner problems in Thailand. Say 100 baht to the pound.? Or the Aussies with their dollar, or the Canadians etc etc.

Because the Government is more focused on other issues that suffer under a strong currency. The pensioners' problems living in Thailand are absolutely nowhere on their radar..

• 2 weeks later...

I drove past the newly painted   "no parking stripes" yesterday ( Sunday )  and very happy to report that the paint was being totally ignored ????, lots of people where parked there as  before...how do the City council expect the chair vendors and other business stay in business if they have no customers.. (yes they will have no customers if there is no where to park)

The problems are mostly caused by allowing huge double decker tour buses along that stretch.

2019310107_P_20190615_120428_HDR(Large).jpg.a249c22fd0afeb97c00fc6e0de0ff412.jpg

8 minutes ago, johng said:

I drove past the newly painted   "no parking stripes" yesterday ( Sunday )  and very happy to report that the paint was being totally ignored ????, lots of people where parked there as  before...how do the City council expect the chair vendors and other business stay in business if they have no customers.. (yes they will have no customers if there is no where to park)

The problems are mostly caused by allowing huge double decker tour buses along that stretch.

2019310107_P_20190615_120428_HDR(Large).jpg.a249c22fd0afeb97c00fc6e0de0ff412.jpg

I am ok with the red and white painted curbs in some street corners in Jomtien. But if people understands them, that's another question. The red and white stripes on the beach road are more of a mystery to me.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:06 AM, jacko45k said:

Because the Government is more focused on other issues that suffer under a strong currency. The pensioners' problems living in Thailand are absolutely nowhere on their radar..

I think you missed my point. It's not a simple thing to simply say a currency is worth this or that amount as some people suggest. My post was a tongue in cheek response to those saying the Thai Government should devalue the baht.

16 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I think you missed my point. It's not a simple thing to simply say a currency is worth this or that amount as some people suggest. My post was a tongue in cheek response to those saying the Thai Government should devalue the baht.

Brits can always blame yes to brexit in 2016. The £ went down to 42 quite fast, and when BJ became PM and opened his mouth, it went down another 5 baht. Now it's ~37 baht to the £. Let's see in another 3 weeks. 

6 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I am ok with the red and white painted curbs in some street corners in Jomtien. But if people understands them, that's another question. The red and white stripes on the beach road are more of a mystery to me.

Passed there today. They are now repainting most of the red and white areas grey again. So now its legal to park there again

37 minutes ago, Plus Esse Quam Simultatur said:

Passed there today. They are now repainting most of the red and white areas grey again. So now its legal to park there again

Well, they are at least creating job opportunities. ????

On 9/23/2019 at 11:33 PM, neeray said:

Time to form a committee !

Well, i live in Soi 19, and the <deleted>...g parking at this narrow part of Beach Road has been a problem the 12 yrs i have lived in this Soi.
Anyway, they have today "solved the problem", by removing almost all the red / white markings, so now the "normal chaos" is legal again...
When the whole way was white / red painted, NO ONE gave a sh#t anyway, and i could count 20 - 30 cars park at those red / white zones...

On 9/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, Brer said:

Change it to a one way street.

Nah that won’t work because vehicles will still come in both directions.

THAT was actually the plan a few yrs ago!
They even made the road in Soi 19 and ALMOST up to 2nd Road new and nice at that time, after that, they blanked off the new road, so no one can pass Metro up to 2nd Road. Not ONE person can tell me WHY! 

On 9/24/2019 at 12:39 PM, kevinmartyn said:

Instead Thailand prefers paper and NOT paper less work systems and like everything "Three-Fold ++" i think that's burocacy because i know their are many smart Thais that can improve systems but the government seems to keep systems from 200 years ago

I was once observing a company's admin work here. Bi-annual work took 3 days that could be done in 5 minutes.

The Thai manager said it's being done in the same way it has been since the company opened 87 years ago.

How many employees did it have then?

How many does it have now?

Around 7,500.

.... right.....

Improving systems isn't really the Thai's strong point. 

If the Thai promotes they can do it better than the senior's that came before them, they better be good at looking for a new job.

On 9/23/2019 at 4:19 PM, lonewolf99 said:

Simple.

walked that beach recently and all i saw was mostly empty chairs. looked like a dump site, frankly.

if it was me:

1. clear the entire sand area, get a huge tractor rake or 50 person rake crew and rake the beach every morning end to end

2. bleach the sand white

3. fine any thai vendors or hawkers who loiter on the sand area 1000 baht. put up signs in thai. helps pay for the raking crew. hire a couple of those isaan guys currently putting dangerous black henna tatoos on tourists which burn the skin to keep vendors off the sand for 1000 baht a day.

4. watch as quality tourists start to enjoy the beach.

5. set up the hawkers and vendors in the huge market area across the street for those who need to buy a drink or trinket

1 hour ago, fhickson said:

walked that beach recently and all i saw was mostly empty chairs. looked like a dump site, frankly.

if it was me:

1. clear the entire sand area, get a huge tractor rake or 50 person rake crew and rake the beach every morning end to end

2. bleach the sand white

3. fine any thai vendors or hawkers who loiter on the sand area 1000 baht. put up signs in thai. helps pay for the raking crew. hire a couple of those isaan guys currently putting dangerous black henna tatoos on tourists which burn the skin to keep vendors off the sand for 1000 baht a day.

4. watch as quality tourists start to enjoy the beach.

5. set up the hawkers and vendors in the huge market area across the street for those who need to buy a drink or trinket

A bit of topic, and there's not supposed to be masses of tourists this time of the year anyway. 

On 9/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, tgw said:

either no parking or banned for vehicles over 2,5t

When we see all these bridges or roads in Thailand with beautiful signs on which it is written: prohibited vehicles over 12 tons, sometimes prohibited vehicles over 19 tons and on which pass semi-trailers and trucks trailers of 45 to 55 tons ...
Must also say that if the cops did their job and were on the edge of these forbidden roads, they would make gold balls, but they prefer to stay warm watching a nullity on TV or Facebook.

Archived