Bt208m to be spent renovating teachers’ residences

webfact

By The Nation

800_46344bccc5e83fd.jpg?v=1569213163

The Office of the Basic Education Commission will spend Bt208.23 million to repair and renovate the residences of public school teachers around the country, the office’s chief said.

Dr Suthep Chitayawong, secretary general of the Office of the Basic Education Office, said the office has surveyed official residences of public schools under the office as ordered by the Education Minister Nataphol Teepsuwan and found that 1,998 residences need to be renovated.

The education minister wants the office to repair and rebuild all teachers’ residences that have outside toilets to make them safer and more convenient. 

Suthep said the renovations will be carried out in two phases. In the first phase, 1,370 residences will be repaired at a cost of Bt147.78 million and the remaining 682 in the second phase at a further cost of Bt60.45 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376563

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-23

26 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Cant they buy theyre own houses? Seems pretty weird in this day and age to operate like this. 

Not so easy to build a house when you have to move to a new city, are 19-22 years old and have a salary of 10k per month.

Most of the accomodations are very basic, so the people move out if they can afford it.

28 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

Cant they buy theyre own houses? Seems pretty weird in this day and age to operate like this. 

seems it might pay you to review the working arrangements for many Thai teachers - that's unless your fully upto date.

48 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

They are already hopelessly in debt financing their cars, motorcycles and iPhones and lifestyles!

57 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

A high percentage of teachers work at a school in a province that is not their home town. Or city.

Let alone village.

So you are not going to buy a house in a village if you are only there on a 3-5 year contract.

Some of the larger schools in towns offer reduced housing expenses with on site housing, the same as hospitals for nurses and young doctors, which have similar problems.

32 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Not so easy to build a house when you have to move to a new city, are 19-22 years old and have a salary of 10k per month.

Most of the accomodations are very basic, so the people move out if they can afford it.

19-22 y/o teachers?

The youngest i have heard of is 22-23 once they've finished their uni courses and graduated. Starting salaries now for teachers with uni grads are 15k, even in the provinces.

12 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The youngest i have heard of is 22-23 once they've finished their uni courses and graduated. Starting salaries now for teachers with uni grads are 15k, even in the provinces.

When i wrote this i was thinking about government workers in general, and didn't keep in mind that this news was talking exclusively about teachers.

Teachers are usually of course not younger than 22 when they start work.

28 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The university teachers with masters were starting at 15,000 at the unis I worked at previously. No idea about high schools or big city schools but in our small primary school out in the sticks some teachers are as low as 7500. No idea how they do it. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

That's nothing! Junta leader Prayut spent billions of baht on homes for his army of Public Relations staff all over Thailand in the lead up to his Thai Niyom vote buying cash splurge. He had them everywhere to make sure he got full media coverage.

Sorry, can't find the link now but I am sure it was a TVN news item.

21 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

That's nothing! Junta leader Prayut spent billions of baht on homes for his army of Public Relations staff all over Thailand in the lead up to his Thai Niyom vote buying cash splurge. He had them everywhere to make sure he got full media coverage.

Money well spent, according to napoleon...... 

49 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

Lets not forget the brand new housing estate on the side of the Soi Dao mountain up in Chiang Mai for the judiciary.  ( I think I remembered all that correctly, someone will let me know if I goofed up) ???? 

On 9/23/2019 at 3:51 PM, thaiguzzi said:

A high percentage of teachers work at a school in a province that is not their home town. Or city.

Let alone village.

So you are not going to buy a house in a village if you are only there on a 3-5 year contract.

Some of the larger schools in towns offer reduced housing expenses with on site housing, the same as hospitals for nurses and young doctors, which have similar problems.

19-22 y/o teachers?

I have a friend who is a teacher in Chiang Mai.  She started 4 years ago with a salary of ฿8872/month in Saraphee.  She is now at ฿12,000/month in Chiang Dao.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:24 PM, Golden Triangle said:

Lets not forget the brand new housing estate on the side of the Soi Dao mountain up in Chiang Mai for the judiciary.  ( I think I remembered all that correctly, someone will let me know if I goofed up) ???? 

Well you do have to look after those who let you stay in power illegally.

Archived