Moving into Wife's house. 90 -day requirments

I have just completed a contract in Thailand and will be going to Laos to get a Non-O visa based on marriage. I lived near the company I worked for and rented a small house . I did my 90-day reporting in the province where I worked using the address of the house I rented. My Thai wife (we are legally married) would sometimes stay with me but usually stayed in her own house in a nearby province. When I come back into Thailand with my Non-0 based on marriage, I am going to move into my wife's house on a permanent basis. Since it is my wife's house I will be living in, I am wondering if I have up to 90 days before I have to submit my first 90- report and would my wife have to accompany me with her blue book and other ID? Or  would I be required to get to the immigration office as soon as I get back into Thailand with my newly acquired Non-0 . And could I just take signed copies of my wife's ID and blue book as proof of address without her accompanying me?

Are you getting a single or multiple entry visa.

If a multiple entry visa you will need to leave the country every 90 days to get a new 90 day entry.

You need to be on a one year extension of stay to do 90 day reports to immigration.

The only reporting you may need to worry about is TM30 reports done by your wife since she is the owner of your residence.

With a multi O you have to leave and re-enter every 90 days so no need to do 90  day reports.

TM 30 should be done by your wife on the day or next day when you move in.

Don't forget if you leave and re-enter a day or two before your multi O use by/enter by date you will get another 90 days taking you to 15 months. Just before the end of the 15 months you can get another 60 day extension ( to visit your wife ) for 1900 baht so you get nearly 17 months from your 12 month visa.

Edited by overherebc
  • Thanks 1

So if my wife files a TM 30 showing that I am staying at her house, anytime I go to another province for more than 24 hours she will have to take the 70 kilometer trip to the immigration office and give them the TM 30. But I don't have to do any reporting myself because I'll have to leave the country every 90 days in which case I'll be leaving  few days early. So I will not have been here the full 90 days. This all sounds a little bit problematic or fishy. I can't help but think that eventually immigration are going to want to know why I haven't been filing a 90-day report.

17 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

This all sounds a little bit problematic or fishy. I can't help but think that eventually immigration are going to want to know why I haven't been filing a 90-day report.

Whe would the question you not doing 90 reports if you never stay in the country longer than 90 consecutive days in the country.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, steve187 said:

use the wife's address on the arrival card, then get your wife to complete a tm 30, but only if you are going to use local immigration for anything, ie, residence certificate, extension etc.

The address on the arrival card has nothing to do with the TM30. NOTHING 

16 hours ago, khaepmu said:

So if my wife files a TM 30 showing that I am staying at her house, anytime I go to another province for more than 24 hours she will have to take the 70 kilometer trip to the immigration office and give them the TM 30. But I don't have to do any reporting myself because I'll have to leave the country every 90 days in which case I'll be leaving  few days early. So I will not have been here the full 90 days. This all sounds a little bit problematic or fishy. I can't help but think that eventually immigration are going to want to know why I haven't been filing a 90-day report.

Your wife - being the owner of the place where you as a foreigner are staying - should file a TM30 within 24 hours of your return from abroad.  The main reason for that is that you will have a new entry/departure card (TM6) and the TM30 procedure requires that the number of that TM6 is on the TM30 filed.

Once that has been done, and although the law expects it, there is really no need for your wife filing intermediate TM30's after you doing trips outside the province, and returning back home.  The reason is simple: TM30 compliance is ONLY checked when you apply for an extension of stay at your provincial IO.  So you just need to ensure that a current TM30 has been filed from the place where you are staying, when going to the provincial IO for an extension of stay.

If it is inconvenient for your wife to physically go to the provincial IO (you mention 70 km), then it is strongly recommended that she registers her home on the IO TM30 website, which will allow her to do the TM30 filings online.

Not sure what everyone else's experience has been; but, from recent experiences of friends I would suggest never going to Thai immigration without your wife accompanying you.  Bring everything you've got with you.  As far as dealing with immigration you can never have too much documentation ie. her house book.  One word of caution. You need to prepare her; because, as we all know some of the immigration people can be less than helpful.  

31 minutes ago, kensisaket said:

Not sure what everyone else's experience has been; but, from recent experiences of friends I would suggest never going to Thai immigration without your wife accompanying you.  Bring everything you've got with you.  As far as dealing with immigration you can never have too much documentation ie. her house book.  One word of caution. You need to prepare her; because, as we all know some of the immigration people can be less than helpful.  

There is of course also the inconvenience when your provincial IO is located far from where you live, as well as possible ques and waiting-times during your visit.  That's why it is recommended to do your TM30's and TM47's (90 day reporting) on-line.

I am on a Non Imm OA (retiree) Visa here, and the only times I would have to visit my provincial IO are:

- when applying for an extension of stay (once a year);

- when needing a re-entry permit to make an overland trip to a neighbouring country.

But for sure I will be 'armed' with all documents that might be asked when visiting my provincial IO (passport / copy of house-book / copy of ID-card house-owner /TM30-filing screenshot / ...).

23 hours ago, khaepmu said:

tm30-  some offices will in the above circumstances require a fresh tm30, if your does then register and submit online

90 day report -  they will never ask, a 90 day report is just that, a report of staying 90 days, you will never stay 90 days, as your permission to stay is only for 90 days.

90 day reports are one thing,  tm30/tm28 are a completely different thing, and unconnected

Edited by steve187