A Polite Greeting to a Policeman

Pilotman

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

That's why we love Thailand, i guess.

When i go back home in the summer, for a few days i smile to almost anyone, normally after a week or so, i get a nasty or embarrassed look, and i realise that i'm at home.

:cheesy: ... not surprised you get nasty looks when smiling at folks for a whole week mate, just take care you don't end up in a non-smoking-jacket :crazy: ... 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, simon43 said:

On my last trip back to the UK, I walked into a bar, smiled at the barman and said 'hello'.  He looked at me with a stony face and said "What's your problem.  Are you f**king gay or what?!"  ????

I would be careful to even make eye contact in many places. I can totally relate to your experience.

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

………...and thought, he looks rich, there's a target for the future.

Me thinks you reside or hang out in the wrong areas. Let me take a stab in the dark. You live in Pattaya or somewhere similar ?

15 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

I dont believe you. 

Rickmansworth, Herts, near the railway station.  You could cut the atmosphere in that bar with a knife.  The local young teens illegally drinking alcohol there were just waiting for everything to kick off so they could start slapping each other...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, simon43 said:

On my last trip back to the UK, I walked into a bar, smiled at the barman and said 'hello'.  He looked at me with a stony face and said "What's your problem.  Are you f**king gay or what?!"  ????

What was your reply? 

<deleted> no, but my boyfriend is?

16 hours ago, simon43 said:

Famous English hospitality. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Rickmansworth, Herts, near the railway station.  You could cut the atmosphere in that bar with a knife.  The local young teens illegally drinking alcohol there were just waiting for everything to kick off so they could start slapping each other...

I heard from UK friends before that its quite normal and a way of entertainment. When I was young there were of course also people wanting a fight but they were far from a majority. Just a few always looking for some action. 

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I find in this country, more so than others, that a warm smile and kind words are usually reciprocated. One of the reasons I like living here ????

Indeed most of the greetings here are reciprocated, just like where I come from (small village in the Netherlands not in Amsterdam). Far friendlier then many other places.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Indeed most of the greetings here are reciprocated, just like where I come from (small village in the Netherlands not in Amsterdam). Far friendlier then many other places.

Agree, i also have a shack in a little village in Italy, and the atmosphere is friendly when you get to know the people.

In the big cities, as CharlieH said, sometimes yo have to be careful not to make eye contact with the wrong people, lest smile when you're talking with somebody who don't know you.

4 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, i also have a shack in a little village in Italy, and the atmosphere is friendly when you get to know the people.

In the big cities, as CharlieH said, sometimes yo have to be careful not to make eye contact with the wrong people, lest smile when you're talking with somebody who don't know you.

Yes in my country too the big cities are less friendly. My small village saying hello and smiling is normal. It is not the case in Amsterdam. While here in Thailand edge of BKK people are still friendly and smile. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes in my country too the big cities are less friendly. My small village saying hello and smiling is normal. It is not the case in Amsterdam. While here in Thailand edge of BKK people are still friendly and smile. 

Yep, Thailand and, i guess, many other parts of the world, has not really caught up with the seriousness of western countries, i also find Bkk more relaxing than other towns in Italy and Europe.

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I would be careful to even make eye contact in many places. I can totally relate to your experience.

Grew up and lived in Dudley a fairly roughish area visit each year for month or so to escape and recuperate from living here. 

Ok pubs can be  rough boisterous at times punch ups etc usually local thugs on locals nothing to concern me (again far worse when i was a kid in 70s)

Regularly walk home late at night few yobs around but nothing worse than when was a kid 40 years ago.

Scared to look at people, you must have lead sheltered  life  

Class or caste system is part of Thai culture. Owner/boss/guests don't look at their servants. Servants look away or eyes down cast. At first I was perplexed when  security guards at my building avoided eye contact. When crossing path I said sawadeekrap to them they were somewhat stunned in the manner of "what do you want? or what's the problem, sir?". It took me a long long while to understand this behavior, being american where you say hello to presidents and doormen alike. With the maids it's easier with small talks to make them realize I mean no harm, just a friendly bloke. These smile or say hi.

Also there's this interesting occurence. There's a coffee stand near my building. The owner speaks English, having had multiple farang boyfriends past and present. At the beginning I was friendly to her just because we could converse, however I was somewhat surprised by her decidedly un-friendly attitude to me sometime ("could you tell me what this (bank) notice say?" or such small endeavors). Then I finally realized that she doesn't want to be a friend in the sense of you regarding your neighbor as a friend. No love loss there, we live and learn. However with most of the vendors down the soi, they get used to me over time and start normal (read friendly) conversation. These would stop and talk to me if we run to each other in the street or big C, same with my house-cleaning maid.

Back for a visit to sunny Southern California a few years back. Little Saigon to be exact, Orange county south of LA, home to the largest Vietnamese contingent outside VN. When I smiled to the cashiers, waiters or the likes they often stared back or just cast their eyes down. Hardly a hello, let alone a how are you. However I got more friendly greetings in the same context from the Mexicans who also live there in large numbers. So it depends on the culture I guess.

• Like 1