Farmers want solution to falling price of snapper fish

snoop1130

5 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Correct. It is the Thai version of the Australian Barrumundi. In Thailand they are bred in farms and fed antibiotics and anti fungal chemicals. Eat it at your peril. Similar to Vietnamese basa.

Sounds great. Who wants a bacteria ridden fish with fungus who can't sat G'day.

My guess would be that it has something to do with overproduction, but they do not grasp that anywhere.

One make rubber, everybody makes rubber

One is a rice farmer, and everybody plants rice.

One opens a mobile phone shop, and 50 more opens in the same street.

Yeah, that just sums it up.

And if we do not have national competition, then we complain over the international competition. All to have a poor excuse to deal with real life.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

My guess would be that it has something to do with overproduction, but they do not grasp that anywhere.

And if we do not have national competition, then we complain over the international competition. All to have a poor excuse to deal with real life.

So get a few farmers to start growing the magic weed, and hopefully all will follow suit.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

That sums it up. No business plan, no market research, no thinking outside the box and no profit unless they get subsidies. 

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

My experience is this fish is mushy and not the best taste.

Probably would not eat it for free at this point.

We farm baramundi. You can choose between feeding them pellets and having mushy meat, or do like us and buy 500kg every 2 days of freshly landed sardines and scad from the fishing fleet and feed them that. No mushy problems, great taste, healthy fish and a high market price. From what I see the Malay imports are all pellet fed and have mushy meat and a muddy taste. No wonder the price is falling with no quality controls in place.

No problem selling our premium product for good prices.

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

People living in northern Thailand and in regions far from the sea and fish farms buy very little seafish because they arrive with sunken, red or glasssy grey eyes. They are on the verge of rotting. The flesh tastes powdery.

The refrigerated truck system from coast to the north and northeast is inefficient - and at the destinations the handling to markets and consumers are slow and careless. This makes the fish stale and not fit to eat. Look into this poor delivery and marketing procedures to correct their defects - and many more people will buy the seabass even though it is 120-150 Baht a kilogram.

Yingluck started this nasty trend with all of her vote buying pledging schemes. It is not the responsibility of any government to manipulate markets, subsidize prices, support people in industries that are shifting, or prop up the population, when they are experiencing a temporary shift in the market. Figure it out. That is what the rest of us businessmen do. Behave like an adult. Man up. Show some dignity. 

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

it has no relation to the snapper family. it is a perch nowhere found anywhere in the sea. farmers have a complete monopoly on this fish and have no competition. since all seawater fish have been fished out. worst still, they don't bother to introduce any wild stock, so the fish becomes more and more tasteless. It is usually frozen then sent back to Bangkok and then distributed all over Thailand  as snapper or seabass. a real scam

it has no relation to the snapper family. it is a perch nowhere found anywhere in the sea. farmers have a complete monopoly on this fish and have no competition. since all seawater fish have been fished out. worst still, they don't bother to introduce any wild stock, so the fish becomes more and more tasteless. It is usually frozen then sent back to Bangkok and then distributed all over Thailand  as snapper or seabass. a real scam

15 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Correct. It is the Thai version of the Australian Barrumundi. In Thailand they are bred in farms and fed antibiotics and anti fungal chemicals. Eat it at your peril. Similar to Vietnamese basa.

Don’t forget the additional hint of cesium 23.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said he was not sure about the real cause of the falling price but said it might be because a large amount of the fish has been imported from Malaysia.

Such amount of fish that is likely appropriate under the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement among is members that includes Thailand and Malaysia. An FTA limits a nation's degree of production protectionism.

• Unless Malaysia is "dumping" fish into Thailand in violation of the FTA, Thailand can only counter by reducing its own production costs downward to sustain sales. Giving the fishing industry subsidies and "soft" government loans probably violate the FTA (if it doesn't distort the global market price) but certainly would not provide a sustainable solution for the Thai fishing industry.

Thailand can give appropriate notice as required by the ASEAN FTA to withdraw from the agreement or renegotiate the FTA that would require 100% consensus with the other ASEAN members. But such options are not short-term solutions. Maybe ASEAN is not the Hub that Prayut thought that he can control.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A group of fish farmers have called on the government to solve the problem of the falling price of snapper. Pramot Mongkolcheeva, a member of the group that raises snapper, said the price of the fish had fallen from Bt130-Bt140 per kilo to between Bt60 and Bt80 early this month.

Here we go again open the flood gates... (nothing to with rain) 

Rice, rubber, now snapper fish... all looking for government subsidies.... what's going to be next I wonder?

1 minute ago, hotchilli said:

Here we go again open the flood gates... (nothing to with rain) 

Rice, rubber, now snapper fish... all looking for government subsidies.... what's going to be next I wonder?

Durian and mangosteen obv.

On 9/24/2019 at 11:31 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Red Snappers are really delicious and they should get paid more. . 

Unfortunately they are fished out. I remember the good old days when I could get a real one for about 20 baht a kilo.

Archived