Advice for a newbie

SidJames

I live in Pattaya but it's nigh on gridlocked to looking to go to 2 wheeled transport.

I haven't ridden bikes much so I would advice on want I should buy.

What type of bike/scooter & how many cc's should I be looking at for a starter bike?

I would like comfort & safety but don't need all mod cons.

Thanks people.

Get an auto scooter, they are normally in the 125cc range give or take 25cc.

Just have a sit on the different models and get the one you feel most comfortable on.

Wave is not a bad choice, I owned 3-4 over the years but I personally got feed up changing gears all the time, downtown Pattaya.

I know a Thai buddy in Pattaya that sells 2nd hand scooters in the whole range if needed.

3 hours ago, SidJames said:

I live in Pattaya but it's nigh on gridlocked to looking to go to 2 wheeled transport.

I haven't ridden bikes much so I would advice on want I should buy.

What type of bike/scooter & how many cc's should I be looking at for a starter bike?

I would like comfort & safety but don't need all mod cons.

Thanks people.

First have you your drive licence for motorbike?

Most of the bikes here are more than 100 cc, so you need to have a motorbike licence.

If you live here it should be useful to have the thai drive licence

the international licence is valid only during 3 months.

Do not buy a pricy and new motorbike here, or you are going in stress about the stole

or the scratches, frequent here.

Start with an old and solid model, Honda Wave or Yamaha nouvo or something like that

10 000\15 000 bahts and you can have a bargain, a lot for sale on internet. 

(Market place and others sites)

Always put on your helmet and do not drive if you drink alcool

and be very careful on the road, the danger is anywhere and often impredictable.

What he said...dont be a fool, and watch the other the other old fools ride scooters, and there are many. usually older gentlemen trying  to look cool but having no idea.  Actually not usually but most of the time in Pattaya.

Walk around for a while and observe.  Avoid those Nazi style helmets - you will look like a total <deleted>....just saying. And those other silly helmets where your ears will get torn off but look like a ChIPS officer from the 1970's. Get a decent helmet that at least covers your ears. Go full face if you want to.

If you really need to take the plunge…..get a license and wear a helmet. Stay to the left  and as your confidence grows head out into traffic.

Buy something cheap as you will probably  crash scratch it after a few days of riding. Honestly, I wouldn't suggest riding on Thai roads if your'e really new to riding motorcycles. It's just too risky.

If you insist though, I suggest you buy a used scooter like the click or Fino.

I've ridden daily commutes for 10 years in Bangkok, but I've only done a few rides to and around Pattaya - but I think the basics are the same.

You don't need much power, and weight does not help in traffic and when parking in crowded mall bike parks.  So you have two choices:

A 125cc to 150cc scooter with full auto.  Honda Click, PCX, Scoopy, etc or Yamaha Fino etc

A 110cc to 125cc 'step-through' motorcycle.  Honda Wave or Yamaha Finn (my choice).

If you've not had any 'real' motorbike experience back home - then an auto scooter is probably the best bet.  But if you've ridden a geared motorbike, then the Wave/Finn will feel more natural.

Most the small scooters are based on the same basic parts, so just sit on them and see what feels best.

Rest is down to budget.

If you can get a newer or new bike - then go for one with ABS, as it can save a fall if/when you grab too big handfuls of brake in a panic.

Yamaha Nmax is the most common scooter with ABS.

Aerox is good unless you have long legs.

If you are buying new and can wait a couple of weeks, get the new Honda ADV 150.

If buying an older scooter - go for the best condition/least crashed one, irrespective of style, colour, model.

Then get a decent helmet, gloves and solid shoes, and wear them.

Archived