Am I allowed in?

Hello all

I believe that this isn't true but I would like to check before I return to Thailand.

Someone contacted me via Facebook after he saw a post I made that he didn't like (I condemned a bombing made by a certain group). This all happened while I was outside of Thailand in Australia. He claimed to be part of the Thai army and that he had the ability to put me on a Ban list or some kind of police list and that I would be picked up on arrival. His name was not a normal or even remotely a Thai name.

I believe this to just be him trying to intimidate me but I would like to know for sure that I am all good as a trip to Bang Kwang or even just being sent home doesn't appeal.

So my question is.... Is it possible for an officer of any sort to add me to a ban list? The only info available to him was my Facebook name, not my passport details etc. Is it possible to see if I am on a list and how would I do it? Contact the Thai Embassy here in Australia? Apply for a 90 day visa? Contact an office or law firm in Thailand?

Any help or direction would be much appreciated

Thank you

Dan

31 minutes ago, DanOily said:

So my question is.... Is it possible for an officer of any sort to add me to a ban list? The only info available to him was my Facebook name, not my passport details etc. Is it possible to see if I am on a list and how would I do it? Contact the Thai Embassy here in Australia? Apply for a 90 day visa? Contact an office or law firm in Thailand?

Are your comments critical of royal family? If so, yes they can do that. Oterwsie, fear not. 

Edited by onera1961
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Are your comments critical of royal family? If so, yes they can do that. Oterwsie, fear not. 

Take note of the above post. Spot on. You have zero issues unless you referred to royal family.

What you thinking OP. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, ylmiri said:

When I was in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia a got a call, the lady said I had a court case pending in the high court and to press this number for extension.

I did press and got through, a man answered the phone, the moment he answered I started shouting abuse at him , even calling his mother names, 4 letters word without waiting for him to speak.

This is how you deal with this kind of people.

Not really my style but yeah but do need to be put in their place at times. 

I try to keep it to the offender rather than an innocent family member... 

Thank you 

47 minutes ago, DanOily said:

Just condemned a bombing committed by a certain religious group. One that doesn't take any criticism well.

Why would a real Thai military or police officer have any problem with your condemning of a bombing perpetrated by a religious group? That just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you didn't make insulting reference towards the army or royal family then it is unlikely.

As mentioned, possible yes. But I doubt anything will happen if your innocent of the above.

Remember, TIT … anything can happen  !

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:

If you didn't make insulting reference towards the army or royal family then it is unlikely.

As mentioned, possible yes. But I doubt anything will happen if your innocent of the above.

Remember, TIT … anything can happen  !

Exactly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Just ignore that nonsense. Probably a scam. The next thing will be them asking for money.

Nobody from any government agency would contact you like that.

It was almost a year ago. No asking for money just being angry at me

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, finding out that will be even harder than looking if you would be on the blacklist, which is almost same. You will not have a problem getting a visa at an embassy or a consulate. Your problem would in that case be Immigration police when entering. The cheapest way for you to find out, is just to try.

Sounds bad, but everything alse is definately going to cost you more. I do think it´s just a bad joke from a powerless person that made an attempt to see if you were going to offer money to make it go away. Have much of that bull going around. I wouldn´t worry too much, but Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. 

It was almost a year ago that they contacted me. 

Hmm so even getting a visa they don't check if I'm on any banned lists?  Surely there would be some checking if you are wanted or have a criminal record etc. 

Really not ideal to be picked up on arrival. Would it just be being forced to leave or would/could I be locked up? 

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, his tactic worked. Is he really likely to have your passport information????

Nope impossible to have my passport info. Only my name on Facebook which is only first and last name. I also have the entire conversation saved so I can show the police/immigration if necessary 

Just now, DanOily said:

Nope impossible to have my passport info. Only my name on Facebook which is only first and last name. I also have the entire conversation saved so I can show the police/immigration if necessary 

Well I would not have the slightest worry.  Some people just like to stir the poop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI: any officer higher than 2nd LT. can arrest you and put in ban list or else. I know because my friend's wife is a colonel in thai navy.

If you didnt post anything against the royal family or the general... your safe which you said you didnt. This just confirmed by my friends wife 15 min ago. sleep well friend ????

Edited by problemfarang
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

FYI: any officer higher than 2nd LT. can arrest you and put in ban list or else. I know because my friend's wife is a colonel in thai navy.

If you didnt post anything against the royal family or the general... your safe which you said you didnt. This just confirmed by my friends wife 15 min ago. sleep well friend ????

Thank you very much for the reply

Yeah so what is to say that he didn't put me on a list and just said I did either of those things (i definitely didn't and never would). Would they need more than just my first and last name from FB or would they just pick up everyone with that name?