BANGKOK
keysersoze276

Should I be worried flying into BKK or DMK?

Here's my situation.  I have three SETVs from Phnom Penh, Hong Kong, and Savannakhet, and two visa exempt by air in my current passport (USA) over the past 18 months or so, all extended.  No land border visa exempts.  

Under all the general scrutiny, I left TH and have been just traveling around Europe for the past three months (if TH doesn't want me spending my foreign currency in the country, anywhere else in the world does, right?  Lol).  But the weather will soon be too cold for my liking, so I just arrived in Saigon with a one year visa. I opened a bank account here on the first day!  Easy!  Anyway, I still rent a condo in BKK that has my belongings and my Thai gf living there.  I'd like to get a SETV here in HCM and go see her and get some of my things before I find an apartment or whatever in Vietnam.

I am asking for advice coming into Thailand on a SETV.  I have the 20,000 cash and will have the outbound ticket and proper visa.  I also know there is no guarantee of entry and have read the stories of people being denied for what appears to be no good reason.

QUESTIONS:  With a visa and the entry requirements in order, and being out for 3-4 months, am I taking a significant risk of denial flying into Swampy or Don Muang?  I would rather not go through the hassle of flying into another airport or doing some land crossing with a large, heavy suitcase.  But if it is the safer bet, what are the best options?  

Thanks for any relevant advice!

Just now, DrJack54 said:

BTW what is your one year visa to Vietnam?

One year METV for Vietnam.  I'm American.  I just applied for the invitation letter online through an agency, showed it at the airport, got the one year multiple on arrival.  It was super easy.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Back to your question. 3 month out works in your favour. Having said that no way I would fly DM with your history. 

Yeah, DMK has been often said to be the worst and the one I almost always use because I live a stone's throw away.  Would you advise not flying into Swampy also?

4 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

One year METV for Vietnam.  I'm American.  I just applied for the invitation letter online through an agency, showed it at the airport, got the one year multiple on arrival.  It was super easy.  

As I mentioned. USA is only country that can obtain 1 yr multi. Pretty crazy for most tourist from USA given long flight times. However suits you perfect. I obtain 4 ...3 month multi every yr. $70 each

5 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

Yeah, DMK has been often said to be the worst and the one I almost always use because I live a stone's throw away.  Would you advise not flying into Swampy also?

Depends where you live. CM will be no issue. Your advantage is you have multi visa Vietnam then if refused entry and fly back to Saigon its not big deal. 

I would roll dice and fly back Thai. Vietjet enters swampy and about same price AirAsia to DM. Go with vietjet.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Your advantage is you have multi visa Vietnam then if refused entry and fly back to Saigon its not big deal. 

Exactly!  That was one main reason I went for the one year multi at this time.  Also so I could open a bank account.  I plan on staying mostly here in Vietnam and renting a place- probably Da Nang but I still have to yet check it out.  And also coming to visit Thailand in between.  As mentioned, I want to go back to TH for a while before paying rent here also, so I almost got the 30 day Vietnam SETV this time and then the 1 yr after I visit TH.  But as you said, I can just reenter easily if denied in TH.  Safety net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I would roll dice and fly back Thai. Vietjet enters swampy and about same price AirAsia to DM. Go with vietjet.

I'm thinking the same thing.  Still open to other advice, but right now that sounds like the best idea.  Definitely easiest.  Would rather not have a problem, and I could be being paranoid.  Flying around all over the place checking a huge suitcase would be a total pain in the ass and more expensive.  Thanks for the advice, DrJack!

59 minutes ago, seasia said:

Hi

Yes, knew about the 1 year visas for Americans. Shame the other nationalities you mentioned cannot get the same.Brit passport holder myself, can only get 3 months.

It would probably attract a fair few others considering leaving Thailand.

Europe is nice, some of it, currently in Italy, you are right though can get chilly in much of it over the winter months.

Anyway, nice reading a bit more about Vietnam.

Hope all works out well for you.

Thanks and same to you!  After everything I have read, you would be able to get unlimited back to back 3 month SETVs in VN with no questions asked.  Same as border runs in Thailand used to be.  Not much of a difference between me and you here because I chose the multiple entry.  Therefor, I can leave and reenter freely, but I have to leave and reenter at least every 90 days from my last entry.  I don'y have to apply or pay for a new visa or lose a passport page, but I still have to go out and come back.  Single entry one year doesn't, but I can't sit still too long anyway and love to travel.  Plus I have my condo (rented) and gf in BKK.  I personally have no problem leaving every 90 days or less.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

if TH doesn't want me spending my foreign currency in the country,

Problem is Thailand has too much foreign currency and it is reflected in the strength of Baht. And you're right, they don't want any more foreign currency from people who live in Thailand. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

Thanks and same to you!  After everything I have read, you would be able to get unlimited back to back 3 month SETVs in VN with no questions asked.  Same as border runs in Thailand used to be.  Not much of a difference between me and you here because I chose the multiple entry.  Therefor, I can leave and reenter freely, but I have to leave and reenter at least every 90 days from my last entry.  I don'y have to apply or pay for a new visa or lose a passport page, but I still have to go out and come back.  Single entry one year doesn't, but I can't sit still too long anyway and love to travel.  Plus I have my condo (rented) and gf in BKK.  I personally have no problem leaving every 90 days or less.

Just posting this to add to your comments about Vietnam. Yes one year multi would suit me perfect. Being AU not available. For some years now I obtain 4 3month multi every year to Vietnam. $70usd each. So 280/year. 

Many countries are visa exempt (15 day) eg UK and many other. USA, AU and others not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1