How hard to get Thai Wife U.S. tourist visa?

So I am curious if anyone else has had some experience with this. 

I want to take my Thai wife to America for the first time for a vacation with me.

I don't have much family in the U.S. and live primarily in Thailand and have so for about 8 years. 

Is this process easier since she is married to me vs her being single? Is this process harder since I do not live in the U.S. currently and don't have a house there?

Obviously there is a lot of bureaucracy madness that can be associated with this but I guess my basic question would be. If she is married to me a U.S. citizen will she be approved for a tourist visa? 

Thanks

I'm curious as well. I have been told over time its  considered favorable by the US agencies to be with your wife for a few years before you apply!

My friend's wife just got a  tourist visa  to go to the states. When asked why she wanted a TV she said to visit my husbands family during Christmas

My experience is since you are already married, you will have to provide the burden of evidence she has a reason to return to Thailand.

Whether property, house, job etc.

The attitude now a days is the US Embassy considers every one a risk to go to the US and stay illegally.

Evidence is required to satisfy she will in fact return to Thailand.

6 minutes ago, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Do you know if I can go to the interview with my wife or does she have to do it alone for the tourist visa?

The answer to that is No.

She's applying for the visa on her own behalf. You won't be allowed into the embassy with her

My own experience is that it was easy. Do the visa online and schedule the interview. That was pretty much it. My wife didn't have much money in her account nor other assets. She didn't bring along any financial documents to the interview. I did write a letter supporting her application that she took with her. At the end, she received a 10 year multiple entry visa. Go for it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Your not having house/tie to USA is a plus in this case as it adds to the return to Thailand case if you/spouse have a life here.  The reason tourist visa is an issue for those married is fear they are trying to cut the immigrant visa wait (will get to USA and then request change of status to stay).  So the more reasons to return to Thailand the better and if spouse appears to happily live here so much the better.  In my case wife had applied and been approved for immigrant visa but we decided to stay here so when asked for tourist visa later copy of that paperwork sealed the deal.  

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Your not having house/tie to USA is a plus in this case as it adds to the return to Thailand case if you/spouse have a life here.  The reason tourist visa is an issue for those married is fear they are trying to cut the immigrant visa wait (will get to USA and then request change of status to stay).  So the more reasons to return to Thailand the better and if spouse appears to happily live here so much the better.  In my case wife had applied and been approved for immigrant visa but we decided to stay here so when asked for tourist visa later copy of that paperwork sealed the deal.  

Thats a good point.

Before my wife got her greencard she was denied a tourist visa, when we wanted to visit my daughter who'd had a baby.

Of course, unlike the Brits and others you get no written, or even verbal reasons for the denial, so it's all speculation.

So my wife is a professional, had a job in Thailand, we have a house and money in the bank.

But I 'think' the fact that we weren't married at the time, coupled with the fact that she had grown up in the US, and probably stupidly we said we were going to stay in our US house during the visit was enough to sink her application.

I can only conclude that the CO figured she'd enter the US, we'd marry and apply for an adjustment of status.

Water under the bridge now since she's a permanent resident, but food for thought for others

We've been denied 3 times here in Singapore. I'm American, she's in school full time both on long term passes.... all 3 times they were dicks, busted her balls, and refused her. The one lady did the ol' "How do we know you are coming back to Singapore?" line. She replied "Well, we live here, our life is here, my school is here, my husband's job is here, here is the itinerary, here are the round trip (business class) tickets on Emirates, etc". Interviewer replied "well you can just cancel your ticket when you get there or not show up for your flight home......''  Visa denied.  

29 minutes ago, FireMedic said:

We've been denied 3 times here in Singapore. I'm American, she's in school full time both on long term passes.... all 3 times they were dicks, busted her balls, and refused her. The one lady did the ol' "How do we know you are coming back to Singapore?" line. She replied "Well, we live here, our life is here, my school is here, my husband's job is here, here is the itinerary, here are the round trip (business class) tickets on Emirates, etc". Interviewer replied "well you can just cancel your ticket when you get there or not show up for your flight home......''  Visa denied.  

She is Thai?  Already in a foreign country?  Even Thai tourist visas can be more of an issue in a 3rd country.  If married and can meet the financials go the immigrant visa route and just return to Singapore after your visit.  Likely not be an issue getting tourist visa after doing that as she would have already been cleared by US authorities.

It was surprisingly easy.

My wife had no job and had given birth to our son about a month prior. Our son did not have US citizenship yet.

I do not work in Thailand and I am on an elite visa. I do own companies in the US and we showed my income, bank statements, planned itinerary (make sure you don’t book anything yet, as it’s one of the test questions). 

She also had strong supporting evidence that she would return. Her father has cancer here, we were leaving our son with their grandparents, and traveling just us two, we had long lease and coupled it with a copy of my 5 year visa. 

I believe so long as it makes sense—it will not be a problem. On the other hand, we know three couples who were trying to game the system and were rejected on the spot, one within 3 questions. So I believe so long as it is legitimate tourism, with supporting evidence, you’ll have no issues.

They gave her a 10 year visa.

Wife been through the process 3 times, the last one in Bangkok recently. 

I always thought it helped when listing yourself, American / Spouse, as the person travelling with her and funding the trip.  And then at the end, listing myself as the person assisting her with filling out the DS160 form.  Relationship: Spouse.  

It's also helpful that she be well informed about the itiniary and the place(s) where you'll be staying, and can relay that verbally with confidence, without sounding rehearsed.  

If she wasn't married to you it is near impossible unless she had traveled extensively by herself in the past, which usually translate she has money and a anchor to return to Thailand.

In your particular case you mentioned you have lived in Thailand for 8 years is that working or you on a Retirement Extension living married in Thailand?  If Retirement is the case you are in luck!  that is the reason for her to return!

There was a time you were able to attend the interview no longer,  I've not done the application for a long time so the most important factor when applying if any document or letter is requested with the application be sure to make a copy of all the Extension through the years and the latest one.

If you failed noted by another poster unless you haven't provided something to your question learning from your mistake and reapplying actually hurts more than help.  It is important you brief you wife to listen and pay attention to what is being asked a repeat question in a different manner is to see if the answer is the same when your wife gave it the first time. If refused it is because they have doubts about a particular item that would give cause as to why she wouldn't return?  They don't come out directly to let you know!

Her application is basically predetermine prior to her interview but they will still ask her certain question simple as to why she wants the visa. You should brief her as to where you are visiting, where you will be staying, who you are seeing, as you noted a visa to meet your family. They will assume she is a former bargirl etc and you are the sole supporter which goes against you but as I noted your extension and you living in Thailand is her anchor to return to Thailand.

Make sure you provide her with your passport with stickers on the pages with your current and past extension.

Good luck!

I dont think it's so easy.  Glad all you married guys living in Thailand were successful  but for a guy in USA  it's not so easy unless woman has money and good looking life in Thailand.   3 gals got it but they  had income , either lots of money or debt and  good jobs or retired  government.  Last one no.  No debt  but less than 100 k savings amd no assets.

It will work out fine.

Remember that the consular officer assumes that she will be trying to stay in US. She has to overcome that assumption, which she does by showing ties (strong ties) to Thailand and that she will return.  Your living here full time, and not having a residence in the US - helps.

If she has traveled abroad and returned, that helps too.  Job, bank, school, family etc. all helps.

The embassy actually has a high approval rate of non-immigrant visas to Thai citizens.

Perception is different because those denied tend to complain, those approved just get on the plane.

15 hours ago, DineshR said:

My own experience is that it was easy. Do the visa online and schedule the interview. That was pretty much it. My wife didn't have much money in her account nor other assets. She didn't bring along any financial documents to the interview. I did write a letter supporting her application that she took with her. At the end, she received a 10 year multiple entry visa. Go for it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How long did the process take, start to finish? This is exactly what I want (10 yr., multiple entry).

The women I've been involved with over the past 30 years wouldn't even accept a plane layover in the US, even to save hundreds of dollars on plane tickets to various destinations in Mexico.

I occasionally go to the US to see aging relatives when they're nearing death, but when they're gone, that's it.  I think of it rather like a Rudimentary Reading Class somewhere in Nazi Germany.  And the South?  Oh, God.  I wish they'd just build a wall around it and call it "Camp Moron."  It's really amazing too, how miserable the place is, and it's only half the white people who make it so revoltingly ugly.

Love it or leave it, I always say.  And I left it a long time ago.

My wife applied for a visa prior to us getting married. She was turned down flat. It was a while ago and I was able to contact someone from the State Department and I asked why. They told me they only wanted wealthy Thais visiting the US. 20,000,000 baht minimum in the bank. Plus assets. 

Many years later, after we were married only about 18 months we tried again. This time for a marriage visa. I was advised to have her bring my original passport to the meeting at the embassy. She also brought alot of documents. Land and house titles, bank statements, etc. They immediately asked her if she had my passport with her. All they looked at was my passport. No other documents. For five minutes! Finally they handed it back and told her they would inform her within two weeks, but with a sly smile. She asked them and they said looks like you will be fine. She got a ten year, multiple entry visa. She has been traveling back to the states with me annually. 

It may have helped that I travel back at least twice per year. They see all the stamps and it demonstrates that I have no desire to live there. Who knows?

The answer is that it is far easier to get her a visa once you are married, if you are a US citizen. 

If you are legally married ( not just village married) and you are a USA citizen your wife is entitled to a visa to go to USA and will not be denied. She should get a 10 year visa. 

If your wife and you are “only” village married her chances of getting a tourist visa or finance visa is very low.  She would need to be hi so or you and her have proof of being together for years and she has a good reason to return to Thailand. 

Archived