How hard to get Thai Wife U.S. tourist visa?

On 9/24/2019 at 1:15 AM, riclag said:

I think the more info you can give that shows the necessity to come back to Thailand can only help in getting a TV

Exactly, have to have reason to return to Thailand. We own a private school well established over 10 yrs. She got 10 year tourist visa very easily.

my thai wife has been turned done 4 times.she owns her own house,auto and bikes.she has 10 year old son who lives with us.in a 1mile range of the house there is at least 20 of her relatives including mother, three sisters and aunts and uncles.i belong to vfw in udon t, foreign medical plan at bank.hosp. dis. vet. my son in states sent letter inviting to stay with him, all expenses paid.my s.s. goes direct to bank . also have a son who lives in pattaya, 2 nephews who live in viet. what's the answer?

On 9/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Do you think it is a advantage being married to a American with regards to getting the visa approved vs her being single?

Also is there another visa option other than a tourist visa that might work?

Thanks

I do think there is an advantage if married for more than a few years. Do you have PR in Thailand? If not a long term lease. If you can show that you are living in Thailand full time and have obligations in Thailand that will help allot. 

Two of my friends got visas for their wives, but both had work permits and living in Thailand for 5+ years.  You might want to think about a lawyer, they cant help to get anything approved but they will assist you with getting all the correct documents, proper verbiage etc.  

When we got my wife's tourist visa to the US it was dead simple. The interview process was "Where will you visit?" She answered. Approved. The whole thing took less than 30 seconds.

The reason it was dead simple was because I submitted a mountain of evidence about myself and my permanent life in Thailand. Work permit, financial status, reasons for staying in Thailand vs. the US, etc. You are her primary social reason for returning to Thailand. The officer is going to make his determination on whether or not he believes you are going to come back. So make sure you provide ample evidence of why you are not going to stay in the US, and your wife will have no issues.

Submit everthing you can demonstrating your reason for returning, and then it will be assumed she will return with you. It doesn't hurt to include a letter from yourself to briefly outline your documents and call attention to your reasons for returning to Thailand.

On 9/24/2019 at 1:54 AM, flyingsaucersarereal said:

Do you think it is a advantage being married to a American with regards to getting the visa approved vs her being single?

Also is there another visa option other than a tourist visa that might work?

Thanks

Yes. it is an advantage - an ordinary underfunded Thai cannot easily get a visa... Before i even had a village wedding I got my GF in on a tourist visa just by being straightforward and honest... much of the time it can depend on the prevailing winds as to whether or not they are handing out visas...

The concern is that she will disappear and work under the radar... your finances cannot guarantee that she will not... so, it is helpful for you to show as many reasons as you can that she will honor her commitment... good luck.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:25 AM, DineshR said:

My own experience is that it was easy. Do the visa online and schedule the interview. That was pretty much it. My wife didn't have much money in her account nor other assets. She didn't bring along any financial documents to the interview. I did write a letter supporting her application that she took with her. At the end, she received a 10 year multiple entry visa. Go for it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When was this done?

Did the embassy officer read or value your letter?

What support documents did she provide?

Serious questions since  I've been considering this for a while.

A few people report it as very simple, most say it basically can't be done these days.

On 9/24/2019 at 2:49 PM, phantomfiddler said:

Providing that she does NOT have a police record I would say there would not be a big problem.

That makes it all very simple, but doesn't jibe with all the failures reported on TVF.

Is this just conjecture on your part?

About 11 years ago, my unofficially married Thai wife was rejected on her first visa attempt after I had submitted lots of evidence with her of my taking financial responsibility for her trip etc.  They said she had not provided enough evidence she would return to Thailand - funny as no way would she consider living in the USA. 

The second attempt, a year later, I kept myself out of it except to give my address there where we would stay, and she emphasized her ties to Thailand (farm, a child, a house, etc).  She got the 10 year visa which expires this year.  That was in Bangkok.  

We applied online for a new visa for her about a month ago in Chiang Mai.  Her English is not fluent, so I filled out the form for her, saying in the online application that I would travel with her and am her "partner" and stating that I had filled out the form with her.  I was afraid that any talk of official marriage would raise more suspicions that she would want to stay there.  We paid the fee at the Krungsri bank in Central Airport and that worked out well as the lady there knew exactly what was required.   The queue for an interview was about a month.  Last week she had the interview. She took her old passports to show how many times she'd gone to the USA and returned (about once per year on average) and her last visa.  She took copies of my passport and retirement visa but they did not ask to see them but just asked her how long I'd been here, how long we'd known each other, and whether we have a house here (we do).  The interviewer asked when we were planning to get married and she said she did not know.  She got the verbal visa approval quickly, although we are waiting for it to arrive in the mail, so I'm not sure if Trump has changed from the former 10 year multiple entry.  A woman in front of her who emphasized that she had lots of family living in the US was rejected, I assume because they were suspicious she would stay there beyond the visa, although who really knows?  Interesting to read the other accounts of success and failure in the applications.  I think the second visa is a pretty sure thing if the applicant has not overstayed or anything problematic with the first one.

I assume it is easier if the sponsor/husband is a septic tank (yank) Say he was a Limey, would that make it more difficult, assume it would?
I understand it might be the opposite, the Consular Officer considering the application of the spouse/partner of an American Citizen might believe they might attempt to change their status in the US once there, or simply just remain, so they could remain with the American.
On the other hand an applicant applying to visit with a non American National is unlikely to have a reason to remain in the US, they could still disappear under the radar though.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, thailand49 said:

If she wasn't married to you it is near impossible

If you have kids together then it is possible. Before I married mine she got a 10 yr visa so we could go see family and see my father as was old. We had pictures of them together here in Thailand before, proof of the children with them being US citizens as well and real reasons for why she would come back as in a house and business to run. I understand Bangkok is very hard sometimes though.

35 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

I understand it might be the opposite, the Consular Officer considering the application of the spouse/partner of an American Citizen might believe they might attempt to change their status in the US once there, or simply just remain, so they could remain with the American.
On the other hand an applicant applying to visit with a non American National is unlikely to have a reason to remain in the US, they could still disappear under the radar though.

Oh ok, interesting that og.

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

If you have kids together then it is possible. Before I married mine she got a 10 yr visa so we could go see family and see my father as was old. We had pictures of them together here in Thailand before, proof of the children with them being US citizens as well and real reasons for why she would come back as in a house and business to run. I understand Bangkok is very hard sometimes though.

If you have kids yes, but my answer was more for not!

9 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

If you have kids yes, but my answer was more for not!

I also think it may also be a personality thing for how the Officer sees the wife or GF who is applying. Like if he or she sees them as uneducated or like a bar girl or hardened or snooty, or not pleasant or see something they just don't like, then they straight up will say no. But it can also be if they see that uneducated or like maybe did work in a bar but the girl is a true sweetheart then they can approve. Could all be based on personality differences and in actuality the evidence for why they are going and why they will come back is just a big part of it. I know I could look at a 100 people if I was an officer and probably deny 65% easily.

14 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I also think it may also be a personality thing for how the Officer sees the wife or GF who is applying. Like if he or she sees them as uneducated or like a bar girl or hardened or snooty, or not pleasant or see something they just don't like, then they straight up will say no. But it can also be if they see that uneducated or like maybe did work in a bar but the girl is a true sweetheart then they can approve. Could all be based on personality differences and in actuality the evidence for why they are going and why they will come back is just a big part of it. I know I could look at a 100 people if I was an officer and probably deny 65% easily.

Without going going into a long story as to how I know even then it is just a generalization.

If one thinks the agents doing the interview doesn't profile they are living in a dream world. The agents are human reason they are all trained and given a set of guidelines and questions but make no bones about it in each case the decision is already made prior to the interview.

We are citizens might not like it but reality you walk outside back down to Sukhumvit make a right head down to Nana, the reality is there. Take into consideration the culture and education system as you noted majority will be denied especially if you aren't married and have no kids for a tourist visa and even being a sweetheart isn't going to get the person one. The key is what will bring her back?

You look at what is going on today at the border the theory is if they get in and don't want to come back pretty with some resources from a benefactor their case could be delayed for years at the expense of the U.S. courts.

Archived