Date set for contract-signing on high speed train project

webfact

By THE NATION

800_301aefc26fff248.jpg?v=1569234806

Anutin

The committee tasked with overseeing bidding for the high speed train project, linking three major international airports, will ask the bid winner, a consortium led by Charoen Pokphand (CP) group, to sign off on the contract on October 15.

This follows an agreement reached today (September 23) between Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul and the Eastern Special Development Zone Committee on the development of the high speed train project linking Don Mueang airport in Bangkok with Suvarnabhumi Airport in Samut Prakan and U-Tapao airport in Rayong.

The CP-led consortium proposed the lowest bidding price. If it fails to sign the contract with the State Railway of Thailand on that date, it might risk being considered as abandoning the project.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30376616

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-24

7 minutes ago, webfact said:

The CP-led consortium proposed the lowest bidding price

Just  saving money then,  in an open democracy the people who are going to pay for this infrastructure should be allowed to see the quality of the bidders, terms of reference,

QA,QC, of the maintinance portion of the bid, I would love to be able to read that section.

31 minutes ago, leeneeds said:

Just  saving money then,  in an open democracy the people who are going to pay for this infrastructure should be allowed to see the quality of the bidders, terms of reference,

QA,QC, of the maintinance portion of the bid, I would love to be able to read that section.

Apply for and get the job. Not that hard. I work in Myanmar on similar jobs.

Lazy, retired? or jut a whiner?

There will be a new 4th Bangkok airport finished, and over-capacity, in Nakhon Nowhere before a train runs on this silly thing.

No clue why Anutin is in on this, yes BJT got the Transport Ministry but I thought Saksayam Chidchob (younger brother of Newin) was Transport Minister? (He got slapped down this week when trying to clean house at THAI (airways).

3 hours ago, webfact said:

So the committee is getting pushy. No envelopes for politicians and senior civil servants until the contract is signed.

But the CP Consortium maybe having second thoughts about getting into bed with the totally incompetent SRT. Their track record of achievement, or the lack thereof, is frightening.

They could also be reconsidering their involvement now they can see that SRT has no business ethics and still refuse to pay out on Honeywell which was a previous business partner.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The committee tasked with overseeing bidding for the high speed train project, linking three major international airports, will ask the bid winner, a consortium led by Charoen Pokphand (CP) group, to sign off on the contract on October 15.

Why would the CP Group sign off on a contract when the useless SRT can't guarantee 100% land availability for the track construction. Another Honeywell in the making? 

The CP Group should run a mile from having anything to do with the SRT. They should have had more sense than to put in a bid.

4 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Being low bidder is not the sole factor for a contract award.

Albeit the public has a right to know what the bids were and what made CP Group the lowest bidder.

The typical acceptable bid for government award is one that is the lowest qualified bid. That means that an award might not be made to the lowest bidder!

Ordinarily, the State determines what the median bid should be to assure that a bidder doesn't "low-ball" its bid with, ie., a mindset that it will then attempt to privately renegotiate the TOR to eliminate financial risk that it didn't account for. Such a practice not only invites illegal government collusion but disadvantages other bidders who might have added to their bids contingency amounts (ie., 10-15%) due to (what they may perceive) potential for higher project costs caused by government disputes and/or disruptions that can substantially delay award, project completion or even project termination.

Prayut set up this project under Article 44. That would allow the government to bypass normal mandatory procurement compliance and reviews, ie., formal scrutiny of bids and potentially allow "good people" with "good intentions" to privately reach an accommodation not available to the other bidders.

The fact that the successful bidder CP Group includes China state-owned enterprises, the project is being financed by China loans and it is a pro-military Thai government with recent history of substantial military acquisitions from China-state owned enterprises providing loans for such acquisitions, the Thai government must assure the Thai taxpayers that CP Group's award is NOW completely transparent and complies with all state laws and regulations.

5 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Apply for and get the job. Not that hard. I work in Myanmar on similar jobs.

Lazy, retired? or jut a whiner?

Far from being retired, a long way from being lazy ! I think you are confused if you think a legitimate question on due openness of process is whiner.

I have seen first hand as part of an 800million dollar project bidding process as to what goes on with different bidders, in this country,  and how they are treated once the shortening of the list and preferred tender status is awarded, and then the annexes start through dialogue, how this becomes myself being a whiner, my questioning is about the openness of the process,  given it is a large public infrastructure investment that the people of Thailand has to pay for,  my taxes included.

Given that the whole project, once completed, will more than likely never make a profit I find it very disturbing the government is so bullheaded about it.  A light rail alternative (trams) between Swampy and DM Would make sense, maybe it would be possible to push it as far as U Tapao....maybe?  Trams can get along at 110 - 120 kmh.

7 hours ago, leeneeds said:

I'd rather be in the line of non-payers.

8 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Ohhh you mean transparency?

Lol... no no no that would never work!

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Given that the whole project, once completed, will more than likely never make a profit I find it very disturbing the government is so bullheaded about it.  A light rail alternative (trams) between Swampy and DM Would make sense, maybe it would be possible to push it as far as U Tapao....maybe?  Trams can get along at 110 - 120 kmh.

Very few people make same-day connections between BKK and DMK, and for those that do there is a nice, new, big, shiny, free bus which runs every 12 minutes (peak, off-peak 30 min).

Fewer people, like three a day, will need to travel from UTP to either BKK or DMK.

For the daring, you'll be able to do the three ticket shuffle soon BKK/SARL-MRT-Dark Red Line/DMK.

This is HSR thing is simply pure silliness, who needs to go to Chachaengsao?

Archived