BANGKOK
webfact

Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

36 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Great! So let's refer to the NASA global temperature graph and you tell me what I'm supposed to be worried about:

image.png.61e0c41c40671ad416563bdf894b0d73.png

I'm not sure what my personal finances have to do with it.

I don't know where you got that image from, but it clearly wasn't from a page on the Nasa website. It's a Nasa image. Had you done so you would have read: 

"When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

The apparent similarities have to do with the granularity of the image. It's too small to show how much faster the current and accelerating rise in temperatures is. Over the last century the global average temperature has risen about 1 degree Celsius. You do the math.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I don't know where you got that image from, but it clearly wasn't from a page on the Nasa website. It's a Nasa image. Had you done so you would have read: 

"When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

The apparent similarities have to do with the granularity of the image. It's too small to show how much faster the current and accelerating rise in temperatures is. Over the last century the global average temperature has risen about 1 degree Celsius. You do the math.

OK, so we both agree it is a NASA image. Great.

Now we move on to the prediction, which if it happens, will be "extremely unusual". That doesn't sound very scientific at all to me. And honestly, given how many dire predictions made turned out to be false, why on Earth would any rational person worry about something that may or may not happen, and even if it does, is "extremely unusual"?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

59 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

OK, so we both agree it is a NASA image. Great.

Now we move on to the prediction, which if it happens, will be "extremely unusual". That doesn't sound very scientific at all to me. And honestly, given how many dire predictions made turned out to be false, why on Earth would any rational person worry about something that may or may not happen, and even if it does, is "extremely unusual"?

Because it's already happening.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forethat said:

Rather than just quoting data sources you don't fully understand, perhaps you should make an attempt at looking at the actual data sets. I've done it for you. Here is a graph representing NASA GMT annual increase. Please tell me where the increase is accelerating? In particular, pay attention to the last two years. I wouldn't call it 'decelerate', but the rise in temperature is decreasing. This is the SAME source you quoted. Good heavens...

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Bye for now.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 22.26.19.png

Who needs statistical analytical tools when we have Forethat telling us what we should be seeing?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

The hockey stick graph scam edited out the Medieval warming period for visual effect:

image.png.04c7bf5a399d3b612f83b6255abe81b8.png

More unattributed graphics.

3 hours ago, Forethat said:

Rather than just quoting data sources you don't fully understand, perhaps you should make an attempt at looking at the actual data sets. I've done it for you. Here is a graph representing NASA GMT annual increase. Please tell me where the increase is accelerating? In particular, pay attention to the last two years. I wouldn't call it 'decelerate', but the rise in temperature is decreasing. This is the SAME source you quoted. Good heavens...

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Bye for now.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 22.26.19.png

Thanks for the link. But it didn't actually show the graph in your post. So I'm not sure where it came from.   But there was this graph on that page:

image.png.f4d17b9737a340defba4487b69a59ebb.png

Looks to me like the rate jumps around 1975 and then again in about 2010.

And here's a link to the temperature data year by year starting in 1880: 

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/graph_data/Global_Mean_Estimates_based_on_Land_and_Ocean_Data/graph.txt

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Did you even look at your own graph. It doesn't have a legend, So no explanation is given for the spooky red line at the end. But the blue and green lines indicate a temperature variation of less than 0.4 degrees in 1000 years. Even I think that is very low warming. I guess when they removed the medieval warm period, the rest of the line plumped up.

Clearly we are heading for the end of life as we know it. :cheesy:

Were you even slightly intellectually adventurous you could have clicked on the link where you would have found this explanation of that spooky red line (and aren't you easily frightened!):

"The original northern hemisphere hockey stick graph of Mann, Bradley & Hughes 1999, smoothed curve shown in blue with its uncertainty range in light blue, overlaid with green dots showing the 30-year global average of the PAGES 2k Consortium 2013 reconstruction. The red curve shows measured global mean temperature, according to HadCRUT4 data from 1850 to 2013."

If you are judging the MWP on the basis of the graph the crazy_alex cited, you might want to back away from that. Don't have time to go into it now, but let's just say not only does it stand alone, but even its creator now disavows it.

I don't know about the end of life, but given your comment, the end of foolishness  is a long way off.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1

So aside from bickering and finger-pointing, what is everyone doing to reduce their carbon footprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

So aside from bickering and finger-pointing, what is everyone doing to reduce their carbon footprint?

I don't own a car on principle. I cut out all non-essential travel. I cut out all non-essential purchases. I don't replace electronic goods until they die. I don't iron my clothes. I don't own a dryer or a dishwasher. I use a fan instead of aircon when I am on my own. I don't leave devices running. I don't waste water. However, I have done this since before anyone ever heard of carbon footprints - it's just a matter of common sense and personal values because I don't want to become a slave to technology, consumerism, and vanity. All I need in life is my brain, a woman, and the internet (I concede the latter is worthy).

• Like 1

Imagine if the day came and giving up your cel phone was the only way to save man kind, how many would cheat if able?

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who needs statistical analytical tools when we have Forethat telling us what we should be seeing?

It's not me telling you, it's NASA. 

More questions?