Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

3 hours ago, Forethat said:

Rather than just quoting data sources you don't fully understand, perhaps you should make an attempt at looking at the actual data sets. I've done it for you. Here is a graph representing NASA GMT annual increase. Please tell me where the increase is accelerating? In particular, pay attention to the last two years. I wouldn't call it 'decelerate', but the rise in temperature is decreasing. This is the SAME source you quoted. Good heavens...

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Bye for now.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 22.26.19.png

Who needs statistical analytical tools when we have Forethat telling us what we should be seeing?

• Haha 1
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You go girl hold their feet to the fire make them face what’s happening so all of us can start making responsible changes and grow into a more sustainable world I’m proud of you kiddo!

And first of all make her shut up. 

Small point that needs clarifying. It was Greta's parents that filled her head with confusion, hate and panic, ergo they "stole her dreams". Textbook child abuse really. When she gets bored of this cl

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Forethat said:

Rather than just quoting data sources you don't fully understand, perhaps you should make an attempt at looking at the actual data sets. I've done it for you. Here is a graph representing NASA GMT annual increase. Please tell me where the increase is accelerating? In particular, pay attention to the last two years. I wouldn't call it 'decelerate', but the rise in temperature is decreasing. This is the SAME source you quoted. Good heavens...

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Bye for now.

Screenshot 2019-10-14 at 22.26.19.png

Thanks for the link. But it didn't actually show the graph in your post. So I'm not sure where it came from.   But there was this graph on that page:

image.png.f4d17b9737a340defba4487b69a59ebb.png

Looks to me like the rate jumps around 1975 and then again in about 2010.

And here's a link to the temperature data year by year starting in 1880: 

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/graph_data/Global_Mean_Estimates_based_on_Land_and_Ocean_Data/graph.txt

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Did you even look at your own graph. It doesn't have a legend, So no explanation is given for the spooky red line at the end. But the blue and green lines indicate a temperature variation of less than 0.4 degrees in 1000 years. Even I think that is very low warming. I guess when they removed the medieval warm period, the rest of the line plumped up.

Clearly we are heading for the end of life as we know it. :cheesy:

Were you even slightly intellectually adventurous you could have clicked on the link where you would have found this explanation of that spooky red line (and aren't you easily frightened!):

"The original northern hemisphere hockey stick graph of Mann, Bradley & Hughes 1999, smoothed curve shown in blue with its uncertainty range in light blue, overlaid with green dots showing the 30-year global average of the PAGES 2k Consortium 2013 reconstruction. The red curve shows measured global mean temperature, according to HadCRUT4 data from 1850 to 2013."

If you are judging the MWP on the basis of the graph the crazy_alex cited, you might want to back away from that. Don't have time to go into it now, but let's just say not only does it stand alone, but even its creator now disavows it.

I don't know about the end of life, but given your comment, the end of foolishness  is a long way off.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Like 1
29 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

So aside from bickering and finger-pointing, what is everyone doing to reduce their carbon footprint?

I don't own a car on principle. I cut out all non-essential travel. I cut out all non-essential purchases. I don't replace electronic goods until they die. I don't iron my clothes. I don't own a dryer or a dishwasher. I use a fan instead of aircon when I am on my own. I don't leave devices running. I don't waste water. However, I have done this since before anyone ever heard of carbon footprints - it's just a matter of common sense and personal values because I don't want to become a slave to technology, consumerism, and vanity. All I need in life is my brain, a woman, and the internet (I concede the latter is worthy).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who needs statistical analytical tools when we have Forethat telling us what we should be seeing?

It's not me telling you, it's NASA. 

More questions?

4 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Thanks for the link. But it didn't actually show the graph in your post. So I'm not sure where it came from.   But there was this graph on that page:

image.png.f4d17b9737a340defba4487b69a59ebb.png

Looks to me like the rate jumps around 1975 and then again in about 2010.

And here's a link to the temperature data year by year starting in 1880: 

https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/graph_data/Global_Mean_Estimates_based_on_Land_and_Ocean_Data/graph.txt

A general advice is that you stop looking at pictures and instead analyse the data. The graph YOU refer to displays the change in global surface temperature relative to 1951-1980 average temperatures, not the rate of increase (which is NOT accelerating). In kindergarten language, that means "what is the temperature". Yes, the mean temperature is increasing.

The graph I provided shows the annual increase.

Edited by Forethat
10 minutes ago, Forethat said:

Click on the link "Get Data" and you'll get the data. The DATA. It is NOT accelerating.

In mathematical terms, you need to get the derivate of the temp data to get the rate of change. I seem to remember that was taught at secondary school. Most people don't know how to use it, much less fit a linear approximation or polynomial and get the rate for a given timeframe. Yet they'll happily copy and paste graphs.

Yes, it's warming up, been for a century at least. Good. Not fast enough for my tastes, though. Bit surprised about the 1940's hot seasons, as those were around the years the bitter cold winter war was fought between Finland and Russia. I guess it's local up in the arctics.

Weather conditions
See also: Climate of Finland and Cold-weather warfare
The winter of 1939–40 was exceptionally cold with the Karelian Isthmus experiencing a record low temperature of −43 °C (−45 °F) on 16 January 1940.

Edited by DrTuner
48 minutes ago, Forethat said:

It's not me telling you, it's NASA. 

More questions?

Posting a graphic with NASA written on it is not evidence that it came from NASA.

It’s why you rarely, if ever, provide a link to the source of the graphics you post.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RideJocky said:

So aside from bickering and finger-pointing, what is everyone doing to reduce their carbon footprint?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I am not consciously doing anything to reduce my carbon footprint. However, I have planted 15,000 trees and live a very low consumer lifestyle. Only go to the city once a week, only use the truck that day. Make and grow most of our own food (fish rice veggies and pigs) Made most of my furniture, a lot of it from reclaimed wood. Air travel less than once a year. Walk to work.

I should be getting those carbon credit checks any day now, you would think.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I am not consciously doing anything to reduce my carbon footprint. However, I have planted 15,000 trees and live a very low consumer lifestyle. Only go to the city once a week, only use the truck that day. Make and grow most of our own food (fish rice veggies and pigs) Made most of my furniture, a lot of it from reclaimed wood. Air travel less than once a year. Walk to work.

I should be getting those carbon credit checks any day now, you would think.

Well done.

So why all your anger against those who campaign for reducing carbon footprints and the promotion of more sustainable life styles?