BANGKOK
webfact

Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

We are not making a meaningful difference to the temperature, and the ecosystems of the world would love you long time if you gave them more CO2.  We increased the CO2 by 40% in 50 years and we see virtually no change in the temperature. None if you factor in the natural warming trend. That's undeniable.

What natural warming trend would that be? And what is causing it?

As for seeing no change in temperature? That's just flat out false. Have you heard the tundra is melting? Depending on what portion of the tundra in question, that means it's warmer there than it's been for anywhere from 11,000 to 33,000 years.

A massive study in Nature just concluded shows that for the first time in at least the last 2000 years, the present is unique in that virtually the entire surface of the planet is getting warmer at the same time. So is that natural and what went on before unnatural?

If man made global warming is real and causing the seas to rise, why did the Obamas just pay $15 Million for a doomed beachfront home?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

A massive study in Nature just concluded shows that for the first time in at least the last 2000 years, the present is unique in that virtually the entire surface of the planet is getting warmer at the same time. So is that natural and what went on before unnatural?

Ok that got me worried. The only way the surface would be getting hotter beneath the antarctic ice is if the core is overheating. I guess I'll add Earth exploding to the never ending list of things that'll kill me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

The hockey stick graph scam edited out the Medieval warming period for visual effect:

image.png.04c7bf5a399d3b612f83b6255abe81b8.png

And now for dessert.

I looked at that graph of yours and I noticed that it was at variance with virtually every other reconstruction of past temperatures. So I looked up its creator, Craig Loehl. Among other things he has contended that the oceans are actually getting cooler. Among other things, there's a massive measurement  project called Argo which has decisively refuted such nonsense.

I wanted to see where he published his "research".  It turns out it was in a journal called Energy & Environment.

"Energy & Environment (E&E) is an academic journal "covering the direct and indirect environmental impacts of energy acquisition, transport, production and use".[1] Under its editor-in-chief from 1998 to 2017, Sonja Boehmer-Christiansen, it was known for easygoing peer-review and publishing climate change denial papers.[2] "

Even Roger Pielke, Jr., much beloved by denialists, thinks it's a rag.

But it gets even better. Loehl himself has disavowed that particular graph in favor of a much reduced rise in temperature. So what kind of website would offer as evidence a graph that its creator himself has disavowed? I'm guessing you're not going to reveal that since I've noticed that denialists are very reluctant to reveal their sources. But you could surprise me of course.

And the medieval warm period as reflective of global climate has itself recently been debunked in a paper that appeared in Nature. Turns out the other parts of the world were colder. It was on average, a bit warmer, but nothing like the 6 or even the 3 degrees that Loehl later posited. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

As for seeing no change in temperature? That's just flat out false. Have you heard the tundra is melting? Depending on what portion of the tundra in question, that means it's warmer there than it's been for anywhere from 11,000 to 33,000 years.

The temperature has been rising since the last cooling trend ended in 1910. But the amount of CO2 we have been putting in the air has gone up 40% in the last 50 years.

We had the same pace of warming 1910 to 1940 that we had 1970 to 2000. But the CO2 was much greater in the second 30 year period. And we even had cooling and then a flat line after WW2 despite the onset of major industrialization. There is no correlation to be seen between a rise in CO2 and the rise in temperature that cannot be explained as a natural fluctuation. The CO2 increased massively while the temperature rose at the very slow pace of .08 degrees in 100 years. Not at all anomalous in the longer temperature record. The impact of CO2 is proving to be insignificant. Our climate continues to be incredibly stable.

200 years.png

• Like 1

Just now, canuckamuck said:

The temperature has been rising since the last cooling trend ended in 1910. But the amount of CO2 we have been putting in the air has gone up 40% in the last 50 years.

We had the same pace of warming 1910 to 1940 that we had 1970 to 2000. But the CO2 was much greater in the second 30 year period. And we even had cooling and then a flat line after WW2 despite the onset of major industrialization. There is no correlation to be seen between a rise in CO2 and the rise in temperature that cannot be explained as a natural fluctuation. The CO2 increased massively while the temperature rose at the very slow pace of .08 degrees in 100 years. Not at all anomalous in the longer temperature record. The impact of CO2 is proving to be insignificant. Our climate continues to be incredibly stable.

200 years.png

Another unattributed graphic.

Here’s a clue, something written on a graphic is part of the graphic, it is not confirmation of the source.

So please, provide a link to where you got this graphic.

29 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Warmer now than 11,000 to 33,000 years ago, could that be because those are the exact dates of the last ice age

18 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a clue, something written on a graphic is part of the graphic, it is not confirmation of the source.

I got it from a site that would give you cooties, so here is the same info in a slightly different format right from NASA. Link

I couldn't get the graph to link directly but you can find it on the page linked under the second drop down at the bottom.

140-years.jpg

Edited by canuckamuck

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

200 years.png

That warming trend was a reversion to mean.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I'm sure the graph is genuine. But you'll note it ends on 2014. This lets us know that it came via a denialist website because the last 4+ years make the situation look a lot worse. Here's the latest update:

global-land-ocean-anomalies-201908.png

• Confused 1

Just now, bristolboy said:

That warming trend was a reversion to mean.

I'm sure the graph is genuine. But you'll note it ends on 2014. This lets us know that it came via a denialist website because the last 4+ years make the situation look a lot worse. Here's the latest update:

global-land-ocean-anomalies-201908.png

It shows cooling in the last 4 years

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

Sometimes it's just the wrong link. As in post #1776.

It's not the wrong link. 

How hard can it be? Here's a screenshot. Pay particular attention to the heading: "Facts" and "Global Temperature". I have used exactly the same data as NASA. The data is available on that page as well.

I'm sorry but I simply have to ask: are you trolling or are you actually serious?

Screenshot 2019-10-15 at 13.03.10.png

Edited by Forethat
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

It sure does.  Relative to 2016.. Just like it showed cooling for several years after 1998. And you know why that is? Because 1998 and 2016 were years of major el ninos. But all of the last 6 years have been warmer than the el nino year of 1998. With only 2016's high temperature due to the el nino factor. In fact out of the 10 hottest years on record, 1998 now stands at #10. It's likely that by the end of 2019 it will be #11.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

What about the last 15 seconds? I love it when people zoom into timeframes to find something they like. Provides lovely trading opportunities to screw them over.

Point being, when you pan and zoom enough, you'll always find some spot to fit your hypothesis.

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

It sure does.  Relative to 2016.. Just like it showed cooling for several years after 1998. And you know why that is? Because 1998 and 2016 were years of major el ninos. But all of the last 6 years have been warmer than the el nino year of 1998. With only 2016's high temperature due to the el nino factor. In fact out of the 10 hottest years on record, 1998 now stands at #10. It's likely that by the end of 2019 it will be #11.

If I would have included the cooling my point would have been even stronger

It's amazing that after 12,000 years of recovering from an ice age that we are getting record temperatures eh?

Edited by canuckamuck