Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RickBradford said:

In even broader terms, the world has plenty of difficult problems that need addressing, yet everything stops while world "leaders" hang on every word from Greta Thunberg, who knows nothing about the climate, or economics, beyond that which she has been taught to repeat.

 

It's a sign of the idiotic times we live in that real problems such as malaria, TB, malnutrition, atmospheric pollution and so on, risk becoming sidelined, purely on the whim of an ignoramus.

I, cynic that I am, am looking to see what is going on elsewhere while the media are distracted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Numerous posters here have no trouble disagreeing with the massive scientific concensus plus the daily proofs of the climate emergency,

Daily proofs of a climate emergency?

I keep looking but I see no proofs. The sea isn't rising, it's very cold, and the days pass without any "out of the normal" weather happening.

I can only surmise that "climate change" is restricted to a different part of the planet from where I am.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you have been paying attention.

 

Now who has the power to fix these things, Climate Activists or Governments?

I'm not asking them to fix anything, but if they are going to complain, it behoves them to have some solutions that are affordable, acceptable and doable. Anyone can go around shouting but shouting isn't solving the problem they claim to be shouting about.

If they don't have any solutions, perhaps they don't actually know what the problem is, but are just getting off on being part of the "movement". That's what children do, they get into one craze after another. I'm not too old to remember that from my childhood.

 

Actually I'm still waiting for any affordable, acceptable and doable solutions from the grown ups on this forum, but nada, so far.

I've also been asking for quite a while as to what the climate change crisis believers are doing as their part of combatting the end of all of us. Things like not flying domestic, not using the car, not using fossil fuelled electricity, not having more children, but answers, I have had none.

If I was cynical, I might think that it was all "do as I say", and not "follow my example".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

A clue is the word link in blue

:cheesy::cheesy:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Doom mongering seems as cyclical as the weather, only 40 years ago we were being warned about a new ice age, all the science 'proved it'

 

 

A Century ago 'the great and the good' of the day (inc Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and HG Wells) were equally taken in by young girls...

Edited by evadgib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've also been asking for quite a while as to what the climate change crisis believers are doing as their part of combatting the end of all of us. Things like not flying domestic, not using the car, not using fossil fuelled electricity, not having more children, but answers, I have had none.

 

I think enough solutions have been proffered.

First, change the mindset of populations of developed nations towards promoting sustainable policies. This is what is currently happening with the Greta furore.

Once enough of 'the people' are behind it, the politicians must deliver those sustainable policies in their own countries, and force developing nations into line by economic measures. New forms of accounting are currently being developed.

Once the momentum - the political will - is in place, the ultimate solution is to cap energy production to keep a lid on growth, install sensible measures to manage demographics, and establish legal rights to exist for Nature (to be policed by an international body).

 

The key principles are avoiding excess and maintaining balance. It's entirely rational and prudent. The only struggle is against people who aren't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I think enough solutions have been proffered.

First, change the mindset of populations of developed nations towards promoting sustainable policies. This is what is currently happening with the Greta furore.

Once enough of 'the people' are behind it, the politicians must deliver those sustainable policies in their own countries, and force developing nations into line by economic measures. New forms of accounting are currently being developed.

Once the momentum - the political will - is in place, the ultimate solution is to cap energy production to keep a lid on growth, install sensible measures to manage demographics, and establish legal rights to exist for Nature (to be policed by an international body).

 

The key principles are avoiding excess and maintaining balance. It's entirely rational and prudent. The only struggle is against people who aren't.

So mind control and then state controls on production.

I have seen this before somewhere. 🤔

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I think enough solutions have been proffered.

First, change the mindset of populations of developed nations towards promoting sustainable policies. This is what is currently happening with the Greta furore.

Once enough of 'the people' are behind it, the politicians must deliver those sustainable policies in their own countries, and force developing nations into line by economic measures. New forms of accounting are currently being developed.

Once the momentum - the political will - is in place, the ultimate solution is to cap energy production to keep a lid on growth, install sensible measures to manage demographics, and establish legal rights to exist for Nature (to be policed by an international body).

 

The key principles are avoiding excess and maintaining balance. It's entirely rational and prudent. The only struggle is against people who aren't.

Most people are not going to give up perfectly good fossil fuelled cars to pay through the nose for battery powered cars that need new batteries every 8 years or so, they are not going to stop eating meat, they are not going to stop flying on holidays etc etc etc.

If governments force them to give up the good life, expect different governments at the next election.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

So mind control and then state controls on production.

I have seen this before somewhere. 🤔

 

Yes, it's called civilisation. Rational control is what civilisation is. What gave you the idea that life should be a free-for-all for every person on earth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

The only struggle is against people who aren't.

Out of the current 7 billion people on the planet, that would be most that aren't. 

Most people on earth want to live the life that affluent people in western countries live. They want a flash car, international holidays, a big house with a tv in every room, and lots and lots of meat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Yes, it's called civilisation. Rational control is what civilisation is. What gave you the idea that life should be a free-for-all for every person on earth?

First you have to get rid of democracy. No government will survive the next election if they actually do the things they want to do, like massive tax increases.

I don't know anyone that thinks a democratic government should have the control you are talking about.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people are not going to give up perfectly good fossil fuelled cars to pay through the nose for battery powered cars that need new batteries every 8 years or so, they are not going to stop eating meat, they are not going to stop flying on holidays etc etc etc.

If governments force them to give up the good life, expect different governments at the next election.

I know, not enough people are rational and prudent. As I said, that's the struggle. That's not an argument against the principle.

 

Whenever I visit a friend's house in the UK, I'm appalled at the level of mindless consumption going on, down to all the stuff in their double-door fridges. They guzzle a liter of chocolate milk instead of having a drink of water. Most of what they take for granted they could do without. A guilt tax on rampant consumption would be a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JamesBlond said:

A guilt tax on rampant consumption would be a start.

I take it that is humour.

Our way of life depends entirely on rampant consumption. If we stop consuming, millions will become unemployed. Will they sit quietly at home watching day time tv till they die?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...