Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Thats right Greta ,you tell us ,tell us how we lived without Mobile phones,x boxes ,foreign holidays ,no drinking water in plastic bottles ,our milk in glass bottles which we returned ,our lemonade in glass bottles which we took back and got two pence for , tell us how we did without plastic carries bags ,and how we only had a small amount of clothes not wardrobes full ,come on tell us how we didnt fly off all around the world on holidays and junkets and last of all tell us how our parents looked after us and did not use us when we had mental health troubles and did not let us be used ,come on Greta do tell us .

How many of those things and the materials used in them are the result of the actions of the current generation?

They have every right to be angry at how the environment has been driven to the edge of collapse by greed [on part of the producers] and convenience [all of us who have ignored the consequences of our actions].

If world govts start to legislate in a manner that leads to less environmentally destructive practices, then the problem would start to be tackled.

But convenience, ah, how tempting is that siren's songs.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Doesn't she just do what her handlers tell her to? A 16 year old girl doesn't get to address that U N on her own merits. She has to have powerful backers with an agenda. Carbon fiber yachts are not cheap.

Seems she got a viral following, not surprising, I mean who doesn't want to play hooky from a school for a day, climate change is as good an excuse as any. 

Just now, bert bloggs said:

who paid for the yacht ,who paid the air fares back home for the crew ,who arranges for her meetings with world leaders ,on and on ,.?

Are the people in the UN world leaders?

I didn't think the UN did much of anything apart from talk about 'climate change'.

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

How many of those things and the materials used in them are the result of the actions of the current generation.

They have every right to be angry at how the environment has been driven to the edge of collapse by greed [on part of the producers] and convenience [all of us who have ignored the consequences of our actions].

If world govts start to legislate in a manner that leads to less environmentally destructive practices, then the problem would start to be tackled.

But convenience, ah, how tempting is that siren's songs.

She can go on and on as much as she likes ,you can hate whats happening ,but for one minute do you really think things will change ,in the next 30 years there will be 5 billion more on the planet ,thats almost unbelievable ,and the rantings of a poor mentally challenged kid are not going to change anything , now you can put up as many sad faces as you like ,but the big polluters could not give a flying  you know what .

4 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Seems she got a viral following, not surprising, I mean who doesn't want to play hooky from a school for a day, climate change is as good an excuse as any. 

Unless mistaken, she graduated early? Could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Are the people in the UN world leaders?

I didn't think the UN did much of anything apart from talk about 'climate change'.

UN Ambassadors are not World leaders, but they represent them. On top of this, unless you missed it, the annual UNGA meeting is on, with many World leaders present.

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

She can go on and on as much as she likes ,you can hate whats happening ,but for one minute do you really think things will change ,in the next 30 years there will be 5 billion more on the planet ,thats almost unbelievable ,and the rantings of a poor mentally challenged kid are not going to change anything , now you can put up as many sad faces as you like ,but the big polluters could not give a flying  you know what .

The fact that there are those who profit from polluting industries and there are those who put convenience over the eco system we depend upon is why I 100% support those who will not shrug their shoulders, bury their head in the sand and will not be silent.

Oh and if you don't like sad faces, perhaps you shouldn't put them up yourself in the first place...

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Quite a list! Which one would you like answering first?

Not a great deflection there, Spidey.

Take your pick and address one of them, work your way through the others at your convenience.

Having sympathy for the girl and the cause doesn't imply blind faith.

1 minute ago, Morch said:

Not a great deflection there, Spidey.

Take your pick and address one of them, work your way through the others at your convenience.

Having sympathy for the girl and the cause doesn't imply blind faith.

You're addressing your post to the wrong person, so I'll let "Spidey" whoever he or she is, reply.

17 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Thats right Greta ,you tell us ,tell us how we lived without Mobile phones,x boxes ,foreign holidays ,no drinking water in plastic bottles ,our milk in glass bottles which we returned ,our lemonade in glass bottles which we took back and got two pence for , tell us how we did without plastic carries bags ,and how we only had a small amount of clothes not wardrobes full ,come on tell us how we didnt fly off all around the world on holidays and junkets and last of all tell us how our parents looked after us and did not use us when we had mental health troubles and did not let us be used ,come on Greta do tell us .

Also how we actually had to cut our bread with a bread knife as it wasn't sliced when we bought it, didn't have supermarkets, didn't have liquid soap ( in disposable plastic bottles ) for the shower, didn't have tv and listened to radio, played board games as a family, read books instead of looking for likes from all our imaginary friends on "social media", travelled on ships internationally instead of planes, had small cars with wood trim instead of plastic, rode motorbikes because that was all we could afford, never had overseas holidays, used the train in country instead of polluting the air with planes, when naughty children got a spank instead of being sent to the psychologist. We also expected to get a job when we left school and didn't skip school to go shout about things we had no knowledge of and think we were important. 

Not much. Here's what you wrote:

"If the IPCC disagreed they’d all be looking for work. They (like the 97%) have a vested interest."

So their research isn't false but their the results of their research are due to having " a vested interest." and not based on ascertaining the facts?
Who are you kidding? Unless you can explain why your statement doesn't accuse them of dishonesty, what other explanation can there be for your contention?

If the IPCC were disbanded, there would be no need for the members.

Ergo, the members have a vested interest. Whether that interest does or does not influence them is beside the point.

Again, you go making things up. I never said their (the 97% era) results were do to the their interest, only that the interest exists.

I assume that at least most of the 97% believe in what what they are doing, and the fact that the industry they work in only exits because of the reports they generate has little to do with that belief.

That said, they are generally not working to determine if it is true, but rather that it is true.

Historically, people came out with theories and then set about to disprove them. I don’t think we are seeing much of that in the climate change industry.

If I’m an umpire, if I bet on a game I’m calling, does it influence my calls?

2 minutes ago, transam said:

If you had your way the business world would collapse..

Isn't that the truth ?

How many of the protesters would be ready to head for the hills to grow beans, giving up all the polluting stuff ?

Just protesting is not going to change a lot, if you want a change, BE the change and stop pointing fingers.

As far as we use money, electricity, fuel, and we buy food and clothes in the shops, we are all part of the problem.

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

The fact that there are those who profit from polluting industries and there are those who put convenience over the eco system we depend upon is why I 100% support those who will not shrug their shoulders, bury their head in the sand and will not be silent.

Oh and if you don't like sad faces, perhaps you shouldn't put them up yourself in the first place...

I think we should all go live in teepees that we weave ourselves from grass, and fossick for berries and roots. All those modern conveniences like motor transportation, roads, hospitals and supermarkets are just so bad for the planet.

Seriously, the best thing our generation could have done for the planet would be to have not had any of the children that are out protesting. Too many people on the planet and we are destroying it from pollution and overexploitation. Get back to the 3 billion level and most of the problems go away.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I think we should all go live in teepees that we weave ourselves from grass, and fossick for berries and roots. All those modern conveniences like motor transportation, roads, hospitals and supermarkets are just so bad for the planet.

Seriously, the best thing our generation could have done for the planet would be to have not had any of the children that are out protesting. Too many people on the planet and we are destroying it from pollution and overexploitation. Get back to the 3 billion level and most of the problems go away.

Your first paragraph was so funny I forgot to laugh...

Then I started to sigh when I saw your solution.

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Will be a hard slog to get back to 3B, that was somewhere around the 1950's: https://populationmatters.org/the-facts

The solution is to sterilize about half of the human population. Same as they do to control stray dog populations. Would probably work if you offer $ for it.

The problem there is, politicians have been playing generational ponzi schemes where the next generation pays for the previous one. Make the new generation smaller and your scam explodes.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but that's very simplistic, are you advocating a sort of dictatorship who will sterilise all the women ?

Or just the chosen ones ?

If the pension system collapses, what you do ? Grow beans ?

You don't have children, fair enough, but children lighten up the world, and women and men love having children, it gives meaning to the life of many.

So, your "solution" is not feasible imho, probably it would be more disastrous than any climate change.

Your first paragraph was so funny I forgot to laugh...

Then I started to sigh when I saw your solution.
So Bleuspunk are you going to start by dumping your mobile and going to stop posting,when you do and go live in a yurt and grow your own veg and walk everywhere,i for one will listen,until then. Well

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived