Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

No, it's the opinion of the vast majority of scientists.

It's the opinion of the majority of people whose careers depend on climate change appearing apocalyptic.

It is not so surprising that they enforce the concept and the fear. Especially since there are great rewards for those who are the most convincing or get the most press. Hence Greta.

11 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-planets/astronomers-find-seven-earth-size-planets-where-life-is-possible-idUSKBN1612BM

40 light years away and nothing like Earth's current atmosphere.

We cannot travel at anything like the speed of light and mathematically impossible to ever each the speed of light. Or so Albert Einstein says.

Well, things can change in the future, right? 

If we can not imagine future, and whats possible, how the earth, could we evolve in to todays tech world? 

Nothing is impossible, and you are thinking humans, im thinking lifeforms. 

Everything is just almost empty! There is acutally almost nothing, the whole space is nothing! 

You know this right? 

A hydrogen atom is about 99.9999999999996% empty space. Put another way, if a hydrogen atom were the size of the earth, the proton at its center would be about 200 meters (600 feet) across.

Nothingness of Space Could Illuminate the Theory of Everything

Now take a look at Innside a single cell animation

3 minutes ago, donnacha said:

People seeking economic growth have a straightforward way to tell, pretty quickly, if they are going in the right direction: they grow. A country can become infected by terrible economic ideas, but almost all communist countries have failed spectacularly, or transitioned to better ideas.

The activists are almost never scientists. Deliberately misrepresenting science is pretty much the opposite of science. Attacking anyone who questions your claims is also deeply unscientific. Screaming that those who dare to question your claims are "anti-science" does not make you a scientist.

If you think about it, in a supposedly atheistic age, the only way that a powerful new dogma could emerge was if it claimed, for itself, the legitimacy of science. It was predictable that this would happen.

If you keep stating, again and again, highly questionable stats such as "99% of scientists believe in climate change" and then further change the context to pretend that all these scientists, from whenever that poll was supposedly taken (I have been hearing that stat since the 90s), were agreeing with your new contention that the world is finished by 2030, well, that goes beyond simple religion, you now have a doomsday cult.

Again, this is all deeply stupid, and clearly being pushed to further the agendas of those with power. As religion almost always is.

You are missing the point. We need to develop renewable sources of energy. That's what all the science is telling us. That development is being deliberately obstructed by vested interests such as the fossil fuel industry. That's not religion, it's common sense.

AFAIK China is officially atheist. That has not stopped it from becoming the biggest solar panel producer.

3 hours ago, faraday said:

What "confuses" you about my post Chomper Higgot, I asked perfectly reasonable questions?

He gets confused when people don't seem to instantly except left wing liberal politically correct statements and dare to ask a question.

It's a trait of the liberal left. They're not programmed to question those who know better!

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

How much would that save? It would cost industry, bankers, investors, and governments countless trillions. And they all know that.

This is exactly the problem. All the same power-brokers who happily enriched themselves by creating a deeply materialistic society in the first place are now lining up to extract even more from their captive consumers.

By co-opting this campaign, they see an opportunity to both profit and keep attention away from the true root of the problem.

No matter what they say, there is not one government on this planet who can afford to reduce the size of their economies. Their whole shell game - of funding today with bonds to be paid off by future citizens over many decades to come - comes crashing down if taxable spending reduces or even stays the same. Continuous growth is the only option.

The real solution to global warming, if they really believe that the world is ending in 11 years, is to immediately stop all non-essential spending. Essential food, medicine, and clothing only. Simple.

Of course, that cannot possibly be allowed to happen, so, instead, they will levy more and more taxes, place more restrictions on what citizens can do, and pressure poor countries to slow down their development. None of which will do anything to reverse our growing carbon emissions.

I find it staggering that people cannot see this.

11 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

The outer space is full of meteorite , komets , asteroids that travel in space and occasionally impact on planets that have no protecting atmosphere . The water they carry brings the life . Not only to our planet ...

Of course, this scenario is the most plausible, but we could help the process a little bit, when we find a suitable planet. 

Travel the space, could be as easy as we crossing the ocean today, even it seems impossible today. 

Enough speculations today. Im off. Thank you

Anyway, humans f..... up this planet good, and now we will see. The future is coming. Some will be here, and some not. 

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It's the opinion of the majority of people whose careers depend on climate change appearing apocalyptic.

It is not so surprising that they enforce the concept and the fear. Especially since there are great rewards for those who are the most convincing or get the most press. Hence Greta.

She comes across as an angry young immature girl from a nice middle class background who has little understanding of what really goes on in the world. Not worldly wise or particularly savvy. The notion of school children striking is ridiculous but will be supported by left wingers and the media as it suits their agendas.

It says a lot about Swedish culture and the modern culture of social media power that can make anyone famous or destroy them regardless of reality.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

She comes across as an angry young immature girl from a nice middle class background who has little understanding of what really goes on in the world. Not worldly wise or particularly savvy. The notion of school children striking is ridiculous but will be supported by left wingers and the media as it suits their agendas.

It says a lot about Swedish culture and the modern culture of social media power that can make anyone famous or destroy them regardless of reality.

She is telling world leaders to listen to the settled science and act on it.

But some have a problem with facts.

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

He gets confused when people don't seem to instantly except left wing liberal politically correct statements and dare to ask a question.

It's a trait of the liberal left. They're not programmed to question those who know better!

Well, i've never supported right wing, but i have to say that i fully agree with you !

Actually, hypocrites tend to hide behind any ideology, the reality is that most of them are just hypocrites.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Pope Francis, in a message broadcast to the conference, called for honesty, responsibility and courage to face "one of the most serious and worrying phenomena of our time".

Thats really  rich coming from that vile brigade, pope  pompous!

4 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

So now we follow the vision of a teenage oracle? Please come back to reality.

For me, that's far more preferable to following the visions of an orange faced snake oil salesman.

I don't think you even know what her vision is. It's for people and world leaders to start listening to the science. Nothing more.

1 minute ago, bert bloggs said:

I started listening to this girl talking on the video and lets face it ,she has problems and climate change is the least of them ,why in Gods name her parents allow this child to be used as she is ,is a disgrace,she obviously has mental health problems .

If you look at her facial expressions I think you're right about the mental health issues. Certainly a lot of anger in their and it's not all about climate change!

I suspect her parents smell fame, money, and a nice career for her from all this!

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The idea is to stop making them. Find alternatives to be made so people can use them.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

The idea is to stop making them. Find alternatives to be made so people can use them.

We had an alternative when i was young ,glass ,and you got a refund if you returned them .

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i've never supported right wing, but i have to say that i fully agree with you !

Actually, hypocrites tend to hide behind any ideology, the reality is that most of them are just hypocrites.

Correct. Thats what hypocrits do. Others believe in the scientific facts.

Just now, DannyCarlton said:

For me, that's far more preferable to following the visions of an orange faced snake oil salesman.

I don't think you even know what her vision is. It's for people and world leaders to start listening to the science. Nothing more.

Can I ak how old you are or where you live? That has a lot to do with personal opinions.

8 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Science is never settled by definition, so who is having problem with facts ?

Sorry for splitting hairs, i have the utmost respect for scientific research, but exactly for this very reason, i don't accept dogmas.

5 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Wow - and nobody else thought of that!

She had or was part of a group that had the idea for school kids to go on strike. Blown up out of all proportion by the media. She looks like a rabbit caught in headlights now! She's now going to have the burden of being in the spotlight. Someone craves that for her, wonder who?

Plenty of people jumping on the bandwagon.

Science, like all knowledge based processes, is constantly evolving and not precise. In the 1930's a great many scientists and intellectuals thought eugenics was the answer! 

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Absolutely, seeding the methodology of revolution. Kids will have fond memories of strikes and protests when the time comes to institute the new world order. The long march through the institutions was very well played.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you don't like it to be told you should not use plastic bottles? Please get a life.

Hmm, why do you think plastic bottles are not good?

We are, I think, talking at cross purposes, as I just read your excellent post #92.????

My issue is with the ER faction who talk & protest about CC, but use plastic bottles, that "allegedly" exacerbate the leftie agenda. (joke)

However, we do all use too much plastic, as it pollutes everywhere, even in pristine Thailand. (another joke)

Anyway, enjoy your day.????

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Wow - and nobody else thought of that!

She had or was part of a group that had the idea for school kids to go on strike. Blown up out of all proportion by the media. She looks like a rabbit caught in headlights now! She's now going to have the burden of being in the spotlight. Someone craves that for her, wonder who?

She oddly enough has been heard. The average man living in the USA doesn't get such a platform.

Archived