Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Just what where her dreams that got destroyed?

That was answered near the beginning. Basically birds, bees and flowers - everyone's birthright but which now no one can take for granted because the world has been bolloxed up by unbridled economic growth.

And the solution, for those who missed it, is to bridle economic growth by voluntarily limiting consumption.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

That was answered near the beginning. Basically birds, bees and flowers - everyone's birthright but which now no one can take for granted because the world has been bolloxed up by unbridled economic growth.

And the solution, for those who missed it, is to bridle economic growth by voluntarily limiting consumption.

Great! So as soon as the people flying around on privates, riding on megayachts and in limousines cut back, let me know. Maybe then I'll see what I can do.

Hey, where are these entire ecosystems collapsing anyway? I call BS on that.

8 hours ago, bristolboy said:

One thing that distinguishes people with Asperger's is their inability to lie. 

Far as I know she hasn't lied about anything. However, she hasn't actually said much that is meaningful that I know of, and she hasn't suggested anything affordable, acceptable or doable that would make the slightest bit of difference to anything she is complaining about. That puts her in line with all the other teenagers disrupting traffic around the world. Lots of shouting and no solutions.

8 hours ago, RickBradford said:

I don't think it is necessary to suggest that Greta Thunberg is wilfuly lying. I think she clearly believes what she is saying.

The question is: How did she come to believe what she believes about the climate?

Is it via her own detailed scientific research? A deep understanding of atmospheric physics? An advanced degree in statistics?

Or is it what she has been told by adults whom she has met and been introduced to? Her ability to see CO2 gas? Indoctrination from activists pushing their own agenda and subsequently using this unfortunate young girl as a human shield?

Another facet of Asperger's is the tendency to engage in black-and-white thinking, with no room for nuance or doubt. Once a belief is embedded, it is unshakeable to a large degree in Asperger's sufferers.

Good to see some sense injected into this thread.

Keep up the good work, though it's a lonely road you tread.

When politicians stop flying to conferences they could video conference, and they present some actual affordable, acceptable, doable solutions other than bird killing windmills and taxes, I'll continue to disregard the dogma of the new religion and the shouting of children with no solutions of their own.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good to see some sense injected into this thread.

Keep up the good work, though it's a lonely road you tread.

When politicians stop flying to conferences they could video conference, and they present some actual affordable, acceptable, doable solutions other than bird killing windmills and taxes, I'll continue to disregard the dogma of the new religion and the shouting of children with no solutions of their own.

You know, I've been thinking about this "you've stolen my dreams" nonsense. It seems to me little Greta is now living a wonderful life 0.0000001% of children could even hope for. She's adored by the media. She's got a book deal. Leftist climate change pimps are falling over themselves fawning over her and practically worshiping her. I don't know how it is I'm supposed to feel sorry for her in the least from that viewpoint.

Really don't understand what all the fuss is about, & why she is being admired....

She doesn't speak particularly well, the content of her speeches are poor, yet way too many people look at her as if she's a Messiah.

Then, when people criticize her, they're labelled as 'bitter old men'.

the whirlwind tour continues...no footprint for all of it either right ?

i wonder in this day and age would her stance be seen in a brighter light if she perhaps teleconferenced these events ? 

you know rather than travelling around for months on end leaving a wake of pollution in her rear view ?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6027566/greta-thunberg-heading-to-alberta/

how about heading to saudi or china or india ?

the sounds of silence. 

Chomper Higgot.

How about you explain why you think my post # 1695 deserves a 'confused' sticker?

I asked some valid questions. Can I expect the nonsensical reply from you again, same last time, or will you explain why she's so popular?

1 hour ago, sillyfool said:

the whirlwind tour continues...no footprint for all of it either right ?

i wonder in this day and age would her stance be seen in a brighter light if she perhaps teleconferenced these events ? 

you know rather than travelling around for months on end leaving a wake of pollution in her rear view ?

https://globalnews.ca/news/6027566/greta-thunberg-heading-to-alberta/

how about heading to saudi or china or india ?

the sounds of silence. 

Good to see she is not only visiting her fan base. Most of the Albertan's will be annoyed by her pretentious entitlements. But she will be treated well. Despite the fact that she is spouting the nonsense that has crippled much of Alberta's economy already. There will be lots of unemployed oil workers at home watching her on TV.

8 hours ago, JamesBlond said:

That's the fault of her generation and her parents. When I was her age we did not have all the gadgets she has, did not go on foreign holidays, even boat trips across the ocean and our houses had no central heating and no double glazing. Our food was not wrapped up in plastic but paper, fish and chips came in old newspaper not styro foam. Those born since the 70's have made the mess so the brat ought to throw away her phones and computers and go and live in a hut living off the land, needs to practice what they preach, few do. 

Nuclear energy too slow, too expensive to save climate: report
Nuclear power is losing ground to renewables in terms of both cost and capacity as its reactors are increasingly seen as less economical and slower to reverse carbon emissions, an industry report said.
In mid-2019, new wind and solar generators competed efficiently against even existing nuclear power plants in cost terms, and grew generating capacity faster than any other power type, the annual World Nuclear Industry Status Report (WNISR) showed.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-energy-nuclearpower/nuclear-energy-too-slow-too-expensive-to-save-climate-report-idUSKBN1W909J

Given no one will approve a new nuclear plant and very few will permit a new oil or coal fired plant, while virtually everyone subsidizes wind and solar, does it surprise anyone it’s growing faster?

Fake news

I have six air conditioners in my home, and if I covered the roof with solar panels I could not run one of them.

Yes, this is the future of energy, not.

Remind me again how fossil fuel industries stand to benefit from funding climate change research?

24 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

That's the fault of her generation and her parents. When I was her age we did not have all the gadgets she has, did not go on foreign holidays, even boat trips across the ocean and our houses had no central heating and no double glazing. Our food was not wrapped up in plastic but paper, fish and chips came in old newspaper not styro foam. Those born since the 70's have made the mess so the brat ought to throw away her phones and computers and go and live in a hut living off the land, needs to practice what they preach, few do. 

and yet life was better

Given no one will approve a new nuclear plant and very few will permit a new oil or coal fired plant, while virtually everyone subsidizes wind and solar, does it surprise anyone it’s growing faster?

Fake news

I have six air conditioners in my home, and if I covered the roof with solar panels I could not run one of them.

Yes, this is the future of energy, not.

Remind me again how fossil fuel industries stand to benefit from funding climate change research?

Nuclear energy is THE solution for now. Constant energy without air pollution or CO2.
Many many more people die because of coal burning related health effects.
Bill gates spent billions of USD to develop, built and test a safe nuclear plant. He is the one who deserves a Nobel price for the eradication of polio and so many other humanitarian projects. He should bring Warren Buffett along because he also donated over 40 Billion to the “Bill and Melinda Gates foundation”. These are the heros of our time and not a puber with mental issues. If 20y ago the green movement would not have boycotted nuclear energy, we would not have global warming today!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Chomper Higgot.

How about you explain why you think my post # 1695 deserves a 'confused' sticker?

I asked some valid questions. Can I expect the nonsensical reply from you again, same last time, or will you explain why she's so popular?

3 hours ago, faraday said:

Really don't understand what all the fuss is about, & why she is being admired....

She doesn't speak particularly well, the content of her speeches are poor, yet way too many people look at her as if she's a Messiah.

Then, when people criticize her, they're labelled as 'bitter old men'.

1. A child grabs the attention attention of millions, including yours, by Campaigning on behalf of the environment. Perhaps what you don’t understand is she’s voicing concerns shared by the millions who admire her.

2. She’s a child speaking to world leaders in a second language, that alone gets people’s admiration, especially when they share the concerns she speaks of.

2.1 ‘People look at her as if she’s a Messiah’’ - Utterly confused nonsense.

3. There is a core of TVF members who have each posted dozens of bitter attacks on this child, and many hate filled posts against her and her parents have been removed. If you are struggling with the accusations of ‘bitter old men’ look no further than the evidence wit large in this thread.

And if you are still struggling to understand why this young girl is getting so much coverage, consider this: In the age of internet search engines, every reference to her posted on line pushers her up the search engine rankings. The number of posts in this thread is an example.

Thank you for doing your bit.

When has a male received similar exposure at the same age?

How is she able to bunk school in order to shout at world leaders at the UN?

What disciplinary action can her parents expect?

What became of Malala Yousefsi since turning 18?

This whole charade is being orchestrated & the virtue-signallers have readily been taken in.

8 minutes ago, evadgib said:

When has a male received similar exposure at the same age?

The Parkland shooting survivors, for one.

I have the feeling your response with be a denouncement of them -- just a wild hunch.

When a little kid mouths off I just laugh it off.  I have a nephew who is an absolute piece of work, and his hobby is testing the limits of his parents.  I usually don't listen when he speaks because I know it's schtick.  This girl, now, she has you guys hiding under your beds and leaving brown stains in your undies.  Obviously she's hitting a nerve, I say "go on!"

48 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

3. There is a core of TVF members who have each posted dozens of bitter attacks on this child, and many hate filled posts against her and her parents have been removed. If you are struggling with the accusations of ‘bitter old men’ look no further than the evidence wit large in this thread.

Can you find for us even a half dozen bitter attacks on this child in these 1700 posts?

You would have a lot easier time finding attacks on 16 year Old Nick Sandman. Whose only crime was not reacting to an aggressive adult agitator. Main Stream Media attacks no less.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You admit being unable to denounce something of which you know nothing about and then immediately follow that with a prediction for this young girl’s future.

Well done!

In your case the word gullible comes to mind....????

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You admit being unable to denounce something of which you know nothing about and then immediately follow that with a prediction for this young girl’s future.

Well done!

For people who have nothing concrete to offer, it's a common ploy to resort to predicting the future. That's the great thing about the future. You can say, wihin reason, pretty much what you want about it and there's no way of refuting it.

1 hour ago, pkspeaker said:

and yet life was better

Well, let's be honest, it was better for us, but not for a lot of other people not living in affluent western countries. In the 70s, Thatcher's Britain was pretty dire.

I was lucky to grow up where I did in a country not riven by greedy wanabes and PC. It was also very safe- I could go out all day and no one worried that a paedo was going to do anything to me. Now the country has gone bonkers and everyone is stressed out.

Even better, I grew up before PCs, mobile phones, the internet twitter, facebook, and cyberbullying.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There is a core of TVF members who have each posted dozens of bitter attacks on this child,

Hardly "bitter" attacks. Most are merely pointing out that it's all bluster and no substance. Shouting at the grown ups that it's all their fault isn't doing anything to actually solve the problem.

I just wish she could come up with solutions that are affordable, acceptable and doable. She got the world's attention, and if she actually suggested something practical, it might encourage others to promote such actions.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hardly "bitter" attacks. Most are merely pointing out that it's all bluster and no substance. Shouting at the grown ups that it's all their fault isn't doing anything to actually solve the problem.

I just wish she could come up with solutions that are affordable, acceptable and doable. She got the world's attention, and if she actually suggested something practical, it might encourage others to promote such actions.

Greta "Corky" Thunberg: Child. Not a scientist. Repeats propaganda that she has been fed. 24/7 fawning media coverage.

Dr Judith Curry: Adult. Climatologist. Chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology 2002-2013. Member of the National Research Council's Climate Research Committee. Has published over 140 scientific papers and books on climate. Believes the climate scare is overblown. Zero media coverage.

That's the demented world we live in, where feelings are preferred to facts, even in important matters.

12 minutes ago, transam said:

If my 16 year old started shouting at me cos I/we were doing something wrong in her/his opinion, well, I think you know what my response would be...????

Presumably that would be in a family setting. So, do you think of the United Nations as one big family?

Archived