Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

time for breakfast ... but before just one thing :

Do you want to know the future ...?

Well there are 2 versions ... one is utopia , the other one dystopia ... but even Utopia implies that there are much less people peacefully sharing the resources on one planet .

the most ' utopic ' ( no word ) way would be birth control , but more likely are catastrophic events like wars for the natural resources or the effects of climate change ...Global temperature rising only 3 degrees would cause the level of the oceans to rise 65 meters ... bye bye bangkok and ...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You are missing the point. We need to develop renewable sources of energy. That's what all the science is telling us. That development is being deliberately obstructed by vested interests such as the fossil fuel industry.

Sure, develop "renewable" sources of energy, but perhaps take the time to look into how much carbon the production of, say, a wind turbine takes. You might be surprised. Then look into how the moving parts need to be replaced over time. Then tot up all the maintenance, include the guy who sweeps up all the headless birds.

Then, look into how much electricity is produced by that turbine, and how much variance there is between a high-wind location such as an offshore platform in the North Sea and the less windy locations where most windmills are currently being placed, mainly to signal how virtuous that country's government is.

Finally, research how the massive batteries that store all this "renewable" energy are manufactured, and how destructively the rare earth minerals are mined.

The only real renewable energy is nuclear, and if the west had kept developing it properly over the past few decades, we would be in a far better position now. But, of course, the activists are suddenly not so pro-science when you mention nuclear power.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That development is being deliberately obstructed by vested interests such as the fossil fuel industry.

Do you seriously not know that the main companies who have diversified into alternative energy are the "fossil fuel" industry?

Just as the cigarette companies bought into the major vape companies, companies such as Shell and BP are not stupid, they have been profiting from the transition for decades.

Do you imagine those hundreds of thousands of engineers are somehow only able to work with oil or coal? They are in the energy business. Don't you understand that those companies are the only ones with the scale, expertise, and contacts necessary to win the major infrastructural contracts that the activists are pushing for?

This is why I try to avoid these discussions: the people blindly arguing the current environmentalist dogma have tons of passion and self-righteousness, but almost no idea of what is actually going on, and that is why they are so easily corralled and manipulated.

11 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Science, like all knowledge based processes, is constantly evolving and not precise. In the 1930's a great many scientists and intellectuals thought eugenics was the answer! 

..And that is the very reason why i would be extremely careful in giving scientists too much power.

Like all humans, scientists have egos and flaws, i guess not many of them are really working for the common good.

3 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Most of the posters here are old and most old people can't get it.

I don't believe that is true.

It is a statement on the mentality of numerous TVF posters that for some reason are attracted to this forum, perhaps because they find others of like "mind".

Science deniers.

I can recall beer, lemonade and milk bottles all had money back on them so they could be used over and over again, in fact they would last near forever, but then plastic came alone that was cheap and no need for the process of collection and cleaning of glass. Yes, it was a money saving thingy....

I can also recall, before supermarkets, most folk with gardens enjoyed growing their own fruit and veg, now, the supermarket has taken over, giving more time for the sofa...

But getting back to the subject, those in control worldwide know the climate situation, they don't need a kid to tell them, though some folk watching a kid talk will go all gooooy, bit like folk watching a kid sing....

Kids of her age are not entitled to vote, why is that....?

Also, she doesn't seem to be all the ticket, she has problems, to me not good for her tender age stability...

1 minute ago, transam said:

I can recall beer, lemonade and milk bottles all had money back on them so they could be used over and over again, in fact they would last near forever, but then plastic came alone that was cheap and no need for the process of collection and cleaning of glass. Yes, it was a money saving thingy....

I can also recall, before supermarkets, most folk with gardens enjoyed growing their own fruit and veg, now, the supermarket has taken over, giving more time for the sofa...

But getting back to the subject, those in control worldwide know the climate situation, they don't need a kid to tell them, though some folk watching a kid talk will go all gooooy, bit like folk watching a kid sing....

Kids of her age are not entitled to vote, why is that....?

Also, she doesn't seem to be all the ticket, she has problems, to me not good for her tender age stability...

Yep those were the days when children were seen and not heard and you couldn't vote until you were 21.

Do you miss them? Me, not so much.

54 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Putting aside for the moment your ad hominem argument, have you actually researched Aspergers?

People with Aspergers have a lot of desirable traits. There is a subset known as high-functioning Aspergers. Extremely logical and analytical. She's probably a damn sight smarter at her age than you will ever be.

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

..And that is the very reason why i would be extremely careful in giving scientists too much power.

Like all humans, scientists have egos and flaws, i guess not many of them are really working for the common good.

Does that not go for politicians as well ...?

And there are proven facts that are undeniable .

Made me think of another "Aspergerian", who stepped up into World attention some years back. Not as young, not as angry and with a better voice. But some lines from her debut performance struck me as echoing this girl's words:

But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hopes apart
And they turn your dreams to shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPZh4AnWyk

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Putting aside for the moment your ad hominem argument, have you actually researched Aspergers?

People with Aspergers have a lot of desirable traits. There is a subset known as high-functioning Aspergers. Extremely logical and analytical. She's probably a damn sight smarter at her age than you will ever be.

I don't know if it's your poor comprehension skills or my poor composition skills but that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

"Many autistic people show signs of genious in a specific area. Greta has found her's. Her oratory powers are incredible, not for someone of her age, but for any age."

3 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:
23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Does that not go for politicians as well ...?

And there are proven facts that are undeniable .

I said "all humans" right ?

That includes politicians, doctors, lawyers, clerks and peasants and (.............)... you can fill the space between the brackets with whatever you find appropriate :smile:

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Really? Another denier? She gives us all hope. 'nuff said.

She enjoys publicity just like the attending politicians. If they were serious they would have travelled on commercial flights.

5 Germans travelled on 4 govt. flights. Merkel didn't even want her defence minister on the flight with her. This shows how serious they are about carbon footprints. 

26 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Sure, develop "renewable" sources of energy, but perhaps take the time to look into how much carbon the production of, say, a wind turbine takes. You might be surprised. Then look into how the moving parts need to be replaced over time. Then tot up all the maintenance, include the guy who sweeps up all the headless birds.

Then, look into how much electricity is produced by that turbine, and how much variance there is between a high-wind location such as an offshore platform in the North Sea and the less windy locations where most windmills are currently being placed, mainly to signal how virtuous that country's government is.

Finally, research how the massive batteries that store all this "renewable" energy are manufactured, and how destructively the rare earth minerals are mined.

The only real renewable energy is nuclear, and if the west had kept developing it properly over the past few decades, we would be in a far better position now. But, of course, the activists are suddenly not so pro-science when you mention nuclear power.

Do you seriously not know that the main companies who have diversified into alternative energy are the "fossil fuel" industry?

Just as the cigarette companies bought into the major vape companies, companies such as Shell and BP are not stupid, they have been profiting from the transition for decades.

Do you imagine those hundreds of thousands of engineers are somehow only able to work with oil or coal? They are in the energy business. Don't you understand that those companies are the only ones with the scale, expertise, and contacts necessary to win the major infrastructural contracts that the activists are pushing for?

This is why I try to avoid these discussions: the people blindly arguing the current environmentalist dogma have tons of passion and self-righteousness, but almost no idea of what is actually going on, and that is why they are so easily corralled and manipulated.

Please do look up the latest risks associated with vaping, which has health authorities everywhere concerned.

Solar panels last for up to twenty years. Converting that energy to liquid non-carbon fuel has already been demonstrated. However, underfunding by anti-science elements is rampant. Stick with fossil fuels is their catchcry.

I'm not aware engineers trained in the distillation of fossil fuels into their various fractions can be retrained in short order to manufacture photovoltaic cells.

9 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Yep those were the days when children were seen and not heard and you couldn't vote until you were 21.

Do you miss them? Me, not so much.

They were the days when us kids were taught our place, now, countries that gave that stuff up are paying the price..

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I said "all humans" right ?

That includes politicians, doctors, lawyers, clerks and peasants and (.............)... you can fill the space between the brackets with whatever you find appropriate :smile:

Well that space can't be filled by "Greta Thunberg". Due to the nature of her illness, ego plays little or no part in her motivation. She survives on logic and reasoning, therefore she's just campaigning for the common good.

47 minutes ago, faraday said:

We are, I think, talking at cross purposes, as I just read your excellent post #92.????

My issue is with the ER faction who talk & protest about CC, but use plastic bottles, that "allegedly" exacerbate the leftie agenda. (joke)

However, we do all use too much plastic, as it pollutes everywhere, even in pristine Thailand. (another joke)

Anyway, enjoy your day.????

Thanks, but post #92 is not mine, there may have been some cleaning going on.

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

"Greta Thunberg, the 16-year-old Swedish climate activist who started the Friday school strikes, has graduated from secondary education with 14 As and three Bs."

I'd say she's pretty smart. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-06-18/greta-thunberg-s-other-lesson-is-about-compulsory-school

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I don't know if it's your poor comprehension skills or my poor composition skills but that's exactly the point I was trying to make.

"Many autistic people show signs of genious in a specific area. Greta has found her's. Her oratory powers are incredible, not for someone of her age, but for any age."

Possibly I have misunderstood the tenor of your post. There are some on this forum attacking her autism, when in some circumstances it is an asset.

BTW, Aspergers was not officially recognised as part of the autism spectrum until 1989, although it was first diagnosed in the late nineteen thirties.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Record highs don’t prove extreme global warming.

An increasing number of record highs does not prove or disprove catastrophic anthropogenic global warming. They are merely changes in temperature within a larger climatic period.

It’s no surprise that local record highs become more common during a warming period. The mercury has been rising since the end of the Little Ice Age, so it is nearly inevitable that new records will be set each year. The records are indeed one evidence of warming, but they’re no evidence of its cause.

Carbon dioxide emission from human activity has actually failed to cause substantial increase in global temperatures.

Climate alarmists, relying on computer climate models, predicted that the earth’s temperature would increase rapidly (typical predictions calling for about 0.3ºC of warming per decade) over the past two decades. Their forecasts proved to be wrong. Global average temperature failed to rise significantly during the past 18 years.

Human emissions of carbon dioxide are one of many causes are of global warming, but they’re not the primary driver.

Climate data from the past contradict the alarmist’s claims that carbon dioxide emissions from human activity have been the primary drivers of global temperatures.

Data show that the current warming is not unprecedented but was matched by the Roman Warm Period (roughly 250–400) and Medieval Warm Period (roughly 950–1250).

During those periods, carbon dioxide emissions from human activity were negligible compared to today’s levels. It follows that warming of the magnitude of the last 150 years or more can happen with or without human contribution.

Further, no conclusive evidence shows that the current warming has been exaggerated by human emissions.

https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You are confusing theory and fact. It is a fact carbon dioxide is trending upwards since the Industrial Revolution. It is a fact ice sheets in the Antarctic, Greenland, and the Tibetan plateau are melting at unprecedented rates. Science relies on measurement, and that's what the measurements are telling us.

It is interesting that so many can not comprehend the fact that what nature removed and  stored away over millions of years which shaped the  evolutionary process we  humans  have dragged out and  released into the atmosphere within a  mere century or two. Citing what volcanic activity releases into the atmosphere is a moot  argument because it has  always  been a component and incidentally on a large scale  responsible  for entrapment of  carbon reserves. Or references  to recorded  anomalies of short  duration either hot or  cold.

Global warming  is a reality. The worlds  oceans  are  soaking up  that heat.

Climate  change is the result because weather patterns are generated  by the oceans.

What is  important is that regardless of attributable  cause it is undeniable and will continue to impact.

Stopping it  or reversing it is already beyond immediate human capacity in the short term. It is how we cope with it is as much the question to believers or deniers .

Archived