Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please do look up the latest risks associated with vaping, which has health authorities everywhere concerned.

Solar panels last for up to twenty years. Converting that energy to liquid non-carbon fuel has already been demonstrated. However, underfunding by anti-science elements is rampant. Stick with fossil fuels is their catchcry.

I'm not aware engineers trained in the distillation of fossil fuels into their various fractions can be retrained in short order to manufacture photovoltaic cells.

Energy created by the use of solar cells can be transformed into " H " = Hydrogen that can be fuel for ' fuel cells ' that can power about everything .

Only problem is the conversion rate of 2:1 , so much more solar cells are needed ...

43 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

time for breakfast ... but before just one thing :

Do you want to know the future ...?

Well there are 2 versions ... one is utopia , the other one dystopia ... but even Utopia implies that there are much less people peacefully sharing the resources on one planet .

the most ' utopic ' ( no word ) way would be birth control , but more likely are catastrophic events like wars for the natural resources or the effects of climate change ...Global temperature rising only 3 degrees would cause the level of the oceans to rise 65 meters ... bye bye bangkok and ...

degrees would cause the level of the oceans to rise 65 meters ...

WOW. Sorry, the real number is more like 1.2 to 1.3 meters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise

I tracked down the 65 meters nonsense to a wannabe climatologist who assumed the 120 meter rise since the last ice age glaciation would equal (be symmetrical to) future sea level rise.  It's what scientists call a spherical cow approximation.

Full data here: https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/02/WG1AR5_Chapter13_FINAL.pdf

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Well that space can't be filled by "Greta Thunberg". Due to the nature of her illness, ego plays little or no part in her motivation. She survives on logic and reasoning, therefore she's just campaigning for the common good.

It may surprise you, but i have a lot of sympathy for her, and for all the idealist, visionary, unselfish teens, i was one of them.

Now i'm being a bit more realistic, some would say cynical, and i am questioning the reasons why a 16 yrs old has become the darling of the world media.

If she was my daughter, i would be extremely worried, enough said.

5 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

She's shaking like a dog sh!tting glass. What a nutter.

Only got to the bottom of the first page.

Sad pieces of dog excrement posting as sad excuses for human beings come out with stuff like this.

You do realize she suffers from Asperger syndrome, a form of autism?

And you still post shameful drivel like this?

And all the rest of you haters gotta hate?

If that was my child, talking at the UN i would be immensely emotional and proud of her.

What a brave girl.

I'm alright Jack, so sod the world, 'cos it wont matter after i'm gone.

Pathetic selfish, dim people.

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

Energy created by the use of solar cells can be transformed into " H " = Hydrogen that can be fuel for ' fuel cells ' that can power about everything .

Only problem is the conversion rate of 2:1 , so much more solar cells are needed ...

The biggest problem with Hydrogen fuel cells is safety. Would you want to drive a car with a tank full of Hydrogen in the back seat? Remember the Hindenburg?

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

WOW. Sorry, the real number is more like 1.2 to 1.3 meters. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise

I tracked down the 65 meters nonsense to a wannabe climatologist who assumed the 120 meter rise since the last ice age glaciation would equal (be symmetrical to) future sea level rise.  It's what scientists call a spherical cow approximation.

Full data here: https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/02/WG1AR5_Chapter13_FINAL.pdf

No.

From your own link " A conservative estimate of the long-term projections is that each Celsius degree of temperature rise triggers a sea level rise of approximately 2.3 meters " So conservatively 3 degrees would be almost 7 meters, considerably more than your 1.2 to 1.3.

1 minute ago, Tug said:

Sad to see so many posters picking on a 15 year old girl I think there may be some jealousy may be involved this I will say she at 15 is wayyyy more articulate than trump go figure lol

Yes, that is the difference between an 8 and a 15 year old.

25 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

"Many autistic people show signs of genious in a specific area. Greta has found her's. Her oratory powers are incredible, not for someone of her age, but for any age."

As someone who competed in public speaking in my teens I can assure you that with that speaking style she would not get through the first round of competition at a local 4H club. And she has a Soros paid full time coach and handler, and she is singularly concentrating on narrow scope of discussion with well established talking points.

I am not saying she is not intelligent, she might well be. But oratory skills? Give your head a shake.

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

The biggest problem with Hydrogen fuel cells is safety. Would you want to drive a car with a tank full of Hydrogen in the back seat? Remember the Hindenburg?

Helium is safe but you would need a fusion reactor. Where is that flux capacitor?

6 minutes ago, rabas said:

---> " this year has been one of record melting on the gigantic frozen island of Greenland.

In one day alone it lost 12.5 billion tonnes of ice.

Antarctica has also enormous capacity to raise the waters around the world.

According to studies, the amount of ice lost from the vast frozen region increased six-fold per year between 1979-1990 and 2009-2017. "<---

---> "In a higher-emission scenario, even wealthy megacities such as New York or Shanghai and large tropical agricultural deltas such as the Mekong will face high or very high risks."

The estimations for the centuries beyond 2100 will be even more stark, with suggestions that sea level rise could be 100 times higher than today. " <---

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49756260

The dinosaur era lasted millions of years, but it ended, us humans have only been here a couple of hundred thousand. We are new to the planet and will probably go the same way as the dinosaur, just have a turn...

But, the climate thing has happened because of the fossil fuel and dodgy chemical use era, and let's not forget the zillion square miles of ploughing every year, which in itself is not good for the ozone layer....

The fossil fuel era will end in the not to distant future, and is a pin <deleted> in time related to how long us humans have been around. Nuclear power is filling the gap now and will expand until something else comes along to replace it, nuclear fusion will no doubt have something to do with it..

I can recall "green" protesters camping outside UK nuclear power stations for years, where are they now....

17 minutes ago, Forethat said:

This will not go down well with the leftist propaganda media machine...

Yes Trump's sincerity is palpable. 555 Is that why he refused to speak at the conference and is recognised as the foremost climate change denier on the planet?

BTW. The video is in the OP.

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Please do look up the latest risks associated with vaping, which has health authorities everywhere concerned.

You see, this illustrates the dishonesty at the heart of any argument driven by a partisan desire to "win", rather than have an open discussion. We both know that I referred to the tobacco companies investing in vaping as an example of how all industries re-allocate their resources when it is clear that a shift is underway. You knew I wasn't saying anything about the relative merits of vaping and, yet, could not resist a ham-fisted effort to turn it into a point anyway.

However, underfunding by anti-science elements is rampant. Stick with fossil fuels is their catchcry.

And here we see that you completely missed the point anyway: companies chase trends. Pepsi does not undermine the idea of health drinks, it buys the companies that make them. McDonalds does not fight the trend for healthier eating, it adds salads to its menu. Shell does not undermine renewables, it hires the top solar and wind engineers and figures out how they can make money from them.

Only someone who doesn't read the business news could have failed to miss the scale of investment that the legacy energy companies have made in new energy sources. That is what they do. It is utterly moronic to suggest otherwise and, yet, this conspiracy theory pops up every time someone challenges the new doomsday dogma.

I'm not aware engineers trained in the distillation of fossil fuels into their various fractions can be retrained in short order to manufacture photovoltaic cells.

So, you think that all the hundreds of thousands of employees in the energy industry sit around distilling oil. Amazing. Just amazing.

37 minutes ago, transam said:

I can recall "green" protesters camping outside UK nuclear power stations for years, where are they now....

I worked in several nuclear power stations from 1985 until my retirement. Never saw one "green" protester.

Perhaps you are confusing the with Greeham Common, where they were protesting against the US deployment of Trident nuclear missiles on British soil.

4 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

I worked in several nuclear power stations from 1985 until my retirement. Never saw one "green" protester.

Perhaps you are confusing the with Greeham Common, where they were protesting against the US deployment of Trident nuclear missiles on British soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-nuclear_movement_in_the_United_Kingdom

I guess I see why some people feel she is creepy. I see her as a special messenger that has a brain that is wired differently. I think her unusual affect is a big part of her power.

I enjoyed watching this interview.

[/url] 

Oh come on Jing,she comes over as being deranged,i think its disgusting of her parents to let her be used like this ,if she was my daughter i would not allow it in a million years, also at 16 she knows f all,i remember having a picture of Che Guevara on my wall ,shouting at the posh in their cars " wait until the revolution" and standing outdide the American Embassy screaming " hey hey LBJ how many kids did you kill today" joined in all the protests in London in the 60s . Then i got a life , a wife a mortgage,a daughter, and a job and put the stupidity of youth behind me.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Oh come on Jing,she comes over as being deranged,i think its disgusting of her parents to let her be used like this ,if she was my daughter i would not allow it in a million years, also at 16 she knows f all,i remember having a picture of Che Guevara on my wall ,shouting at the posh in their cars " wait until the revolution" and standing outdide the American Embassy screaming " hey hey LBJ how many kids did you kill today" joined in all the protests in London in the 60s . Then i got a life , a wife a mortgage,a daughter, and a job and put the stupidity of youth behind me.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

for teenagers its either about being cool...or being different. 

51 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Only got to the bottom of the first page.

Sad pieces of dog excrement posting as sad excuses for human beings come out with stuff like this.

You do realize she suffers from Asperger syndrome, a form of autism?

And you still post shameful drivel like this?

And all the rest of you haters gotta hate?

If that was my child, talking at the UN i would be immensely emotional and proud of her.

What a brave girl.

I'm alright Jack, so sod the world, 'cos it wont matter after i'm gone.

Pathetic selfish, dim people.

Well, i find almost impossible not to agree with most of your post, but i'm still of the idea that she's only a 16 yrs old, and her talking at the UN is just comedy.

Pardon my cynicism, but i think she's being exploited for profit.

I'm not saying that i'm right, and i hope to be wrong, but i'm afraid that all this climate alarmism will become a convenient excuse to raise taxes, further curtailing individual freedom of all.

Nothing to do with right wing of left wing, just tightening the control of the masses.

Piers Morgan on GMB now who can be a <deleted> but also entertaining has caught her bang to rights in the Donald Trump video all eager and soon as she was in eyeline of the camera shes puts on that sulking face.

Off to the bin child.

Archived