Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can see baiting when it's so obvious.

Asking you to substantiate a claim you made is not baiting TBL and should not pose you any problems provided you can back up your claims.

It appears though that you cannot.

So you accuse me of baiting.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You go girl hold their feet to the fire make them face what’s happening so all of us can start making responsible changes and grow into a more sustainable world I’m proud of you kiddo!

And first of all make her shut up. 

Small point that needs clarifying. It was Greta's parents that filled her head with confusion, hate and panic, ergo they "stole her dreams". Textbook child abuse really. When she gets bored of this cl

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Any you’re accusing someone else of wearing blinders?

It’s your position that young people in the US do not know where babies come from or how to avoid having one?

Erm no, that’s not my position nor is something I have stated or implied.

Next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Alas, our entire way of life is built on consumerism, and consumerism is built on waste and obsolescence. Entire communities in poor countries like Bangladesh live on the proceeds of western women throwing away last years fashions and buying new, despite the old clothes being perfectly good.

The UN was formed to create co operation among humans and nations- how's it working out?

We’ll make an environmentalist if you yet, perhaps even on the left of the spectrum.

• Like 2
Asking you to substantiate a claim you made is not baiting TBL and should not pose you any problems provided you can back up your claims.

It appears though that you cannot.

So you accuse me of baiting.

At least one of his claims was substantiated.

Thailand and the US both pay people to reproduce.

Guess you had your “blinkers” on.

Next
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Apparently, when the people are desperate are easier to manipulate, so let's not carried away by scenarios of doom and gloom.

Not everything is lost.

I hope that, besides developing 'cleaner' sources of energy and reducing the plastic waste, we can also learn to live with less, and develop a spirit of cooperation among humans and nations.

I think this is the correct attitude:

The limitations of the planet won't be acknowledged until it's too late and wars ensue, history tells us that. The only question is how big a fight it'll be.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

well, it appears that UN are not doing a great job at the moment, but, if you think that some 3000 yrs ago we were still divided in tribes, fighting each other with sticks and stones, we have made some progress, even if just on utopian imagination.

so, civilisation is not a bad thing, it just needs a lot of work to be perfected.

I like this. I always recommend "The New Enlightenment" by Steven Pinker. It is packed with information that is positive news, much of it quite surprising to progressives who believe that there is no progress. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

I have "The New Enlightenment". on order as I was very impressed by his previous book "The Better Angels of Our Nature".

Yes "The Better Angels of Our Nature" is great. I expect you will enjoy "The New Enlightenment".  Even better IMHO but a big read. I take it in modest doses!

Edited by Nigel Garvie
omit
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I tend to believe in experts, unlike Gove. I always wished I could have asked him if he would like a plumber to perform his open heart surgery. 

I have attached beneath an excerpt from a blog by Carrick Ryan. I couldn't find a link to the exact piece but you can Google him. He starts:-

As a rule I will not debate climate science with anyone. I am not qualified: and more than likely neither are you.

The graph illustrates the problem we have with understanding things of which we have little experience, and how that little experience can still  lead us to have great confidence in our beliefs. Of course experience and knowledge are not the same thing, some have masses of one without accumulating any of the second, but I'll leave it there. I call it the Dumming Kruger Effect.

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 08.03.57.png

C. Ryan.png

Ok, nothing wrong with your post, but i have a little objection.

If i wanted to sell, say, solar panels, i can hire a scientist or 2, and let them explain to the populace, on a newspaper page which i can buy, that solar panels are good for you and for the environment.

After making some money with solar panels, i can finance another scientific study, that highlights how solar panels are somehow damaging the environment, while, say, wind turbines are the real solution.. and the cycle goes on..

Now, i'm not saying that wind turbines or solar panels or nuclear energy are the right (or the wrong) choice, i'm just saying that it's the economic interest who is on the driver's seat, and we have to be vigilant on where it's taking us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

A few days ago my mate and I were fishing on the banks of a beautiful river.

The local council had made a small park with all amenities including a floating jetty designed for disabled persons (such as myself)) and as we cast our lines in we watched a pod of dolphins cruise majestically along...

After contemplating the cobalt blue sky,the green fields and old man river for a while I turned to my friend and said "It's a wonderful world,isn't it?"

"Yeah and it's the only one that we have got."

So every little bit helps.

• Like 2