Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

webfact

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, jany123 said:

Is this money trail, and what it assumedly buys, as wide and furrowed as the money trail created by big oil in their purchase of politicians to act in its interests?

Some wise man once said : "Pecunia non olet", or "money doesn't stink".

Enough said.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Teenager Thunberg angrily tells U.N. climate summit 'you have stolen my dreams'

8 hours ago, webfact said:

and my childhood with your empty words,"

Fine example of what brainwashing does to susceptible teenagers.

What a pathetic show (poorly rehearsed, too).

Empty words, indeed.

I don't mean the climate issues deserves no attention. But doing it this way doesn't seem right.

1 hour ago, Forethat said:

You're wrong. The power is not hers. It has been given to her. It can be taken away by the snap of a finger.

Follow the money. 

This might make sense if she were lobbying for and not against the fossil fuel industries - The same industries that snap their fingers when they need nations to go to war in defence of oil and gas profits.

As it stands it’s simply a splendid insight into how deluded some folk are.

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Why are so many people here against change? Change is inevitable.

The girls has most likely been brainwashed by her parents, and the only persons who steal her childhood are her parents. Don't they have child protective services in Sweden?

And yet more unsubstantiated personal attacks.

But then since the science isn’t backing you up what’s left but to get nasty?

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Exposing the exploitation of a vulnerable child with cognitive issues should be applauded.

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This might make sense if she were lobbying for and not against the fossil fuel industries - The same industries that snap their fingers when they need nations to go to war in defence of oil and gas profits.

She's actually lobbying for the World Bank - or, rather, the people pulling her strings are.

Her main handler, a woman called Jennifer Morgan, works for the World Resources Institute as its Director of its Climate and Energy program, which includes the New Climate Economy, which works with the World Bank - and the IMF, too.

They're playing for much bigger stakes than some oil company revenue.

2 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

She's actually lobbying  for the World Bank - or, rather, the people pulling her strings are. Her main handler, a woman called Jennifer Morgan, works 

I am not doubting what you say, can you provide a source, or just a hint ?

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Sorry, I messed up the posting - see my full post.

If you start at the website of the New Climate Economy ( http://newclimateeconomy.net/content/about ) you will see the upstream links to the World Bank, IMF, OECD etc laid out, and if you check the link to the research partners, you will see that the managing partner is Jennifer Morgan's World Resources Institute.

6 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Just searching their names together doesn't come up with much. But there is one conspiracy oriented article. It actually claims that Greta is a tool of Davos and entrenched capitalism to put an environmental face on their depredations.  

3 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Sorry, I messed up the posting - see my full post.

If you start at the website of the New Climate Economy ( http://newclimateeconomy.net/content/about ) you will see the upstream links to the World Bank, IMF, OECD etc laid out, and if you check the link to the research partners, you will see that the managing partner is Jennifer Morgan's World Resources Institute.

A very tortuous and tenuous link indeed. I doubt that Greta herself is even aware of this obscure link.

2 minutes ago, zydeco said:

Just searching their names together doesn't come up with much. But there is one conspiracy oriented article. It actually claims that Greta is a tool of Davos and entrenched capitalism to put an environmental face on their depredations.  

Davos isn't a person or organisation it's a place.

Time for the tinfoil hats!

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don't need a scientist to see that the anger of this girl is not normal and that it's most likely fueled by her parents.

Do you think that's normal behaviour for a 16 year old? Do you think she came up with this all by herself?

Even if her parents are not the reason for it, shouldn't she be treated by a professional instead of being sent arround the world?

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I don't need a scientist to see that the anger of this girl is not normal and that it's most likely fueled by her parents.

Do you think that's normal behaviour for a 16 year old? Do you think she came up with this all by herself?

Even if her parents are not the reason for it, shouldn't she be treated by a professional instead of being sent arround the world?

Just read this before you go any further with your factless conspiracy theories.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=767646880269801&id=732846497083173

I'm in no way suggesting we rush this, lets enjoy it while we can but one way to look at is that its fairly hard to be long term both for humanity and the planet, prolong the planets agony through an extended occupation by humanity through sensible eco-changes or embrace this few hundred year fantastic distinction event and party hard thereby leaving the planet too its own recovery.

In the long run what would be best for the planet?

44 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How old is the earth? 4.5 billion years

How many years  has data has been collected to make these assumptions based on computer models?

About 2 or 3 hundred years

Don't you think it's a small sample size???

3 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

---> " this year has been one of record melting on the gigantic frozen island of Greenland.

In one day alone it lost 12.5 billion tonnes of ice.

Antarctica has also enormous capacity to raise the waters around the world.

According to studies, the amount of ice lost from the vast frozen region increased six-fold per year between 1979-1990 and 2009-2017. "<---

---> "In a higher-emission scenario, even wealthy megacities such as New York or Shanghai and large tropical agricultural deltas such as the Mekong will face high or very high risks."

The estimations for the centuries beyond 2100 will be even more stark, with suggestions that sea level rise could be 100 times higher than today. " <---

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49756260

These 'studies', like most mainstream climate change research, are mostly <deleted>.  This is an image from the DMI from about a year ago, since then the DMI has changed the website so it's harder to find these ice graphs and I believe the bottom part of the graph that shows surface mass increase is no longer available; But anyways most of the year temps in Greenland are well below freezing so ice is increasing most of the year, you can see the short melt season in the top graph.  Greenland has a constantly increasing surface mass- which means the actual size of the ice sheet(s) are constantly getting bigger.  You can also see that the rate of increase in recent years had been increasing at the same time your BBC studies claim that there was a 'six fold' loss of ice during 2009-2017, notice the increase in ice from the dmi was particularly high in 2016-17, well over the mean from 1990-2013..

So how do they and other's including the DMI, NOAA etc. themselves come up with these studies that ice is melting.  They use junk science techniques particularly a Gravity Recovery satellite that measures gravity anomalies to determine that although surface mass is increasing, overall mass is decreasing because the ice that melts and calves from the edges of Greenland has a higher mass than the snowy ice that accumulates on most of the rest of it.  These techniques that attempt to peer under the ice to determine it's overall mass are about as accurate as a SCUD missile, but they just need whatever to make claims that ice is melting and many gigatons are being 'lost'.  Back in the real world it's the same 'ol Greenland, nothing unusual has recently happened there.

accumulatedsmb.png

18 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Just read this before you go any further with your factless conspiracy theories.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=767646880269801&id=732846497083173

So you think her anger is normal and that she has a happy life?

In your opinion it might not improve her quality of life if she were treated by a professional psychologist or psychiatrist instead of being sent around the world?

9 hours ago, Tug said:

You go girl hold their feet to the fire make them face what’s happening so all of us can start making responsible changes and grow into a more sustainable world I’m proud of you kiddo!

mee too, well done Greta

Archived