Is there anything I should know about spending christmas with my Thai mother in law?

hexhex

Or I guess future mother in-law, I just wanted to keep the title short. Also if this isn't allowed in these forums please let me know, it was the only place I could find on google!

As the title says, i'll be spending christmas with my boyfriend and his mother, who was born and raised in Thailand, but has lived in the US for a while now. It'll also be the first time I'm meeting her! I don't wanna look dumb or disrespectful, so I've been googling what gifts not to give and such, and came across things like "don't wrap your gifts in green, blue and black", and other things that I would've never even thought about, so I'm a bit worried, as you can see by the fact that i'm thinking about this 4 months in advance lol

So yeah, are there any traditions or gifts I shouldn't give, or things I shouldn't do? 

Thank you in advance for the help!

My kid had a maths test on Christmas Day last year. How we laughed as I told him of what his English cousins would be doing.

However, you could give a few thousand baht ot New year. I dont mean that to sound cynical. i give a percentage of my New year bonus to my in laws out of appreciation. It is well recieved.

I'd say depends how long future MIL has been living in the US. Has she integrated & adopted most, some US customs ? I'm sure your B/F is the best one to advise on correct etiquette & possible gift. Even if she hasn't adopted all, any western customs, being your initial meeting, I feel a gift of some sort won't go astray.

FYI. I live in a small rural town, far away from the tourist strip. Local stationary shop has heaps of Christmas cards, wrapping paper & decorations. Although a Buddhist community the provincial Thais are slowly starting to accepting some western customs. 

"who was born and raised in Thailand, but has lived in the US for a while now."  I suggest the OP should be read thoroughly prior to offering advice. If future MIL is living in the US, me thinks an envelope stuffed with green backs would be more appreciated than Thai Baht !

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't give any gifts, Thais are Buddhists and don't celebrate Christmas.

I live in Thailand with my Thai family, no gifts, no cards, it's usually just another day, the kids have school, everyone goes to work as normal, banks are open for business, etc.

But maybe future "mother in-law"  is Christian. There are some in Thailand, I know, first hand.

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't give any gifts, Thais are Buddhists and don't celebrate Christmas.

I live in Thailand with my Thai family, no gifts, no cards, it's usually just another day, the kids have school, everyone goes to work as normal, banks are open for business, etc.

Thais love celebrating Christmas.  They start playing   Christmas carols about now and continue until February. They love the parties, celebration, gifts, dressing up and food etc. They also celebrate Halloween,  Western New Year   Thai new year and  Chinese new year. Thais love a chance to party.

18 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thais love celebrating Christmas.  They start playing   Christmas carols about now and continue until February. They love the parties, celebration, gifts, dressing up and food etc. They also celebrate Halloween,  Western New Year   Thai new year and  Chinese new year. Thais love a chance to party.

Thais don't need an excuse to get drunk and blast out distorted music.

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

You missed out St Valentine's Day, and Easter,   LOL

Seems very strange to be asking on a Thailand Forum rather than talking it over with the boyfriend.  He can and should and will advise.  As said Christmas is a religious holiday that is not a holiday in Thailand or for most Thai.  New Years however is more of a holiday in Thailand.  But if meeting for first time on Christmas it might indicate they are Christian so without your feedback how can we provide much information?

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Some of us don't mix with bar girls and their families.

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Seems very strange to be asking on a Thailand Forum rather than talking it over with the boyfriend.  He can and should and will advise.  As said Christmas is a religious holiday that is not a holiday in Thailand or for most Thai.  New Years however is more of a holiday in Thailand.  But if meeting for first time on Christmas it might indicate they are Christian so without your feedback how can we provide much information?

Yeah, I understand how that might look a bit daft of my part LOL but my boyfriend was actually born and raised in the US and has no idea nor interest about Thai customs ???? My MIL did however invite me to celebrate Christmas, not to spend time with them during it or anything like this, and she has asked about my favorite colors and clothing size, so I assumed she'd be buying me something. She's been in the US for over 10 years now im pretty sure, so shes used to western/US culture.

Archived