BANGKOK
hexhex

Is there anything I should know about spending christmas with my Thai mother in law?

1 hour ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thais love celebrating Christmas.  They start playing   Christmas carols about now and continue until February. They love the parties, celebration, gifts, dressing up and food etc. They also celebrate Halloween,  Western New Year   Thai new year and  Chinese new year. Thais love a chance to party.

You missed out St Valentine's Day, and Easter,   LOL

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thais are Buddhists and don't celebrate Christmas

And what about all the Muslims in UK or USA, do they celebrate......serious question.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

And what about all the Muslims in UK or USA, do they celebrate......serious question.

Don't know about US and UK, but in my home country they demand that Christmas trees are removed

• Thanks 1

Seems very strange to be asking on a Thailand Forum rather than talking it over with the boyfriend.  He can and should and will advise.  As said Christmas is a religious holiday that is not a holiday in Thailand or for most Thai.  New Years however is more of a holiday in Thailand.  But if meeting for first time on Christmas it might indicate they are Christian so without your feedback how can we provide much information?

2 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Thais love celebrating Christmas.  They start playing   Christmas carols about now and continue until February. They love the parties, celebration, gifts, dressing up and food etc. They also celebrate Halloween,  Western New Year   Thai new year and  Chinese new year. Thais love a chance to party.

Some of us don't mix with bar girls and their families.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I understand what most of you are saying about Thai people not celebrating christmas, but she specifically invited me to celebrate Christmas with them 😅 I'm aware that it isn't a Thai thing, so I wouldn't just assume it haha 

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Seems very strange to be asking on a Thailand Forum rather than talking it over with the boyfriend.  He can and should and will advise.  As said Christmas is a religious holiday that is not a holiday in Thailand or for most Thai.  New Years however is more of a holiday in Thailand.  But if meeting for first time on Christmas it might indicate they are Christian so without your feedback how can we provide much information?

Yeah, I understand how that might look a bit daft of my part LOL but my boyfriend was actually born and raised in the US and has no idea nor interest about Thai customs 😞 My MIL did however invite me to celebrate Christmas, not to spend time with them during it or anything like this, and she has asked about my favorite colors and clothing size, so I assumed she'd be buying me something. She's been in the US for over 10 years now im pretty sure, so shes used to western/US culture.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hexhex said:

my boyfriend was actually born and raised in the US

29 minutes ago, hexhex said:

She's been in the US for over 10 years

So he was not raised by mother?  

Yeah. You should know that if she isn’t Christian (highly unlikely) she doesn’t give a rats ass about Christmas. She probably doesn’t know who Jesus Christ was and wonders why anyone is celebrating anything.

Xmas Crackers , if you can get them , always go down well , maybe amazon , lazada stock them , probably closer to Xmas time.

Sorry , but a bit confused here , as to where the MIL is , if in the US , ignore my last post.

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

green backs would be more appreciated than Thai Baht !

Written by someone who has not exchanged Dollars lately.