Court ruling could throw Johnson's Brexit plan into more disarray

webfact

Court ruling could throw Johnson's Brexit plan into more disarray

By Estelle Shirbon

2019-09-24T011528Z_2_LYNXMPEF8M28H_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-COURT.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Campaigner Gina Miller leaves the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom hearing on Prime Minister Boris Johnson's decision to prorogue parliament, in London, Britain September 18, 2019. REUTERS/Hannah McKay

LONDON (Reuters) - The UK Supreme Court will say on Tuesday whether Prime Minister Boris Johnson acted unlawfully when he suspended parliament just weeks before Brexit, a ruling that may further complicate his plans to lead his country out of the European Union next month.

A decision against him could lead to parliament reconvening earlier than scheduled, giving it extra time to thwart his Brexit-or-bust agenda to depart the EU by Oct. 31, with or without an exit deal agreed with the bloc.

His foes allege that Johnson suspended the assembly, where he lacks a majority, to sidestep opposition to his plan. Most lawmakers are opposed to a so-called "no-deal Brexit" scenario, fearing that it would cause economic damage and severe disruption, including to food and medicine supply chains.

He says the suspension was necessary to give the government time to prepare a new legislative agenda.

The Supreme Court's ruling is due to be delivered at 10:30 a.m. (0930 GMT). With a constitutional crisis engulfing Britain, there is a high degree of uncertainty on exactly what it might say, and what the ramifications will be for Johnson and for parliament.

At one end of the spectrum, the justices could say that the suspension was a political matter on which they cannot pass judgment. At the other end, they could say that Johnson acted unlawfully and give instructions as to how and when parliament should be recalled. Other outcomes in between the two extremes are possible too.

Striking a defiant tone ahead of the ruling, Johnson rejected criticism from his opponents that his decision to suspend parliament for five weeks at such a crucial time was to prevent it from challenging his Brexit policies.

"Parliament will have bags of time to scrutinise the deal that I hope I will be able to do (with the EU's 27 other members)," he told reporters on Monday during a flight to New York, where he was due to attend the UN General Assembly.

"'Donnez-moi un break' is my message to those who say there will be no parliamentary scrutiny. Absolute nonsense," he said.

THE QUEEN MISLED?

Parliament was suspended, or prorogued in the British jargon, from Sept. 10 to Oct. 14. The prorogation was approved by Queen Elizabeth, Britain's politically neutral head of state, acting on the advice of the prime minister as she is required to do under the country's complex, uncodified constitution.

Johnson told the monarch that the suspension was required to give him time to prepare a Queen's Speech, another term of jargon referring to a new legislative agenda. The legal challenge hinges on whether he gave a false pretext and abused the power of prorogation.

Prior to the suspension, he had lost a series of crucial votes on how and when Britain should execute its exit from the EU, decided in a 2016 referendum that split the nation bitterly.

Asked on the flight to New York whether a ruling by the Supreme Court that he had deliberately misled the queen would make his position as prime minister untenable, he replied: "No. I think that the reasons for wanting a Queen's Speech are extremely good."

Before the prorogation, a cross-party rebel alliance of lawmakers managed to force through a law aimed at stopping a no-deal Brexit by requiring Johnson to ask for a three-month extension if he has not been able to strike a deal by Oct. 19.

Johnson and other government ministers have maintained that Britain will exit on Oct. 31 and will not accept any further delays, indicating that they might seek to ignore the legislation and possibly bring about further court battles.

(Additional reporting by Kylie MacLellan in New York)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-24

3 hours ago, Basil B said:

Unfortunately I see the court doing nothing more than condemning Johnson's action in Proroguing Parliament but saying it is not actually illegal.

I think that too.  Should get the verdict any time soon.  Crowds are gathering outside in the pouring rain.

48 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Unfortunately the UK courts are now corrupt. Not to be trusted under any circumstances. 

I'm inclined to agree. The way Gina Miller's Pro Remain case has gone through 3 courts in a couple of weeks is amazing considering how Robin Tilbrook's Pro Leave case has been dragging on for months and months. His case was actually thrown out by a judge (Lord justice Hickinbottam) who is a member of the European Law Institute which is partly funded by the EU and are activists for strengthening EU law! No bias there then.

'A senior UK Government source, closely involved with this, said: “We’re stuffed”.'

Per Andrew Kerr, Scottish Political Correspondent.

"The Supreme Court has overturned the ruling from the English High Court and determined that it can rule on whether the suspension was lawful.

Lady Hale says the decision is unanimous.

The prime minister has lost the first stage but not necessarily the whole case."

'This was not a normal prorogation' - Lady Hale

No justification' for suspension - Lady Hale

Not looking good for Boris

PRIME MINISTER LOSES PROROGATION CASE - **UNANIMOUS JUDGMENT** OF THE SUPREME COURT'S 11 JUSTICES. Jaws are dropping in court.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-49807552

27 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Johnson has to resign. He has lied to the Queen.

A pity you U.K. are a few hundred years later as by then the way to the tower would be open for him while sharpen the Axe …. (wink wink , joking...)

33 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Time to kick out those meddlesome sweaties! Screenshot_20190924-175755_Twitter.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Seeing Soubrey, Blackford and the Green Hornet preening their feathers as the court confirmed it is part to the Remain elite is indeed quite worrying. I served the Crown for just short of 40 years in various guises and until 2016 thought our Govt, Parliament & Justice system was the best in the world.

I have long since realized they're not.

(Good to hear from you RR ???? )

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Seeing Soubrey, Blackford and the Green Hornet preening their feathers as the court confirmed it is part to the Remain elite is indeed quite worrying. I served the Crown for just short of 40 years in various guises and until 2016 thought our Govt, Parliament & Justice system was the best in the world.

I was wrong; They're a bloody disgrace!

11-0

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I was wrong; They're a bloody disgrace!

You dont think that maybe our government, parliament and justice systems might actually be OK and the problem lies with you?

34 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Johnson has to resign. He has lied to the Queen.

Any decent person would but we talking about Boris Johnson and he hasn't got an ounce of moral fibre in his body.

The decision was unanimous and not just a majority verdict.  And this is the Supreme Court in the UK, not a European court although maybe Boris will want to take an appeal to them ????

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

Unfortunately I see the court doing nothing more than condemning Johnson's action in Proroguing Parliament but saying it is not actually illegal.

Oh dear, don't stick to polite words. 

Your short time PM is history already. A fool, a liar. And for your Brits most important..... he lied to your Queen. For this he should hang, isn't it? 

Best you write down your constitition, then Buffoons will not have any chance to bend the laws. ????

11 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Wow, and where are the Brexiteers now with their shattered dreams????????????????

It's called 'reorg' Seamus. I have no idea what form it will take but rest assured it's coming ????

This circus would be complete if Boris triggered a no confidence vote in himself.

Archived