Massive 3-Day Cleanup Restores Koh Chang After Flooding

webfact

Massive 3-Day Cleanup Restores Koh Chang After Flooding

by Leslie Finlay 

71487450_2368982479865943_4128835929471188992_n.jpg

Extremely heavy rainfall hit the small island of Koh Chang, Thailand over September 15-16 causing major flash flooding throughout the island. The flooding was so strong that dozens of homes were damaged, and more than 100 motorbikes and three vehicles were washed away, as reported by the local government.

According to residents, it was the most dramatic weather seen in decades – as was the aftermath of destruction and debris. Fortunately, no one was hurt, and locals happily report that the island has already bounced back to normal – in no small part due to the huge, collaborative effort launched community-wide following the storm.

Clean-up efforts began across the island immediately, and Koh Chang’s Trash Hero representatives worked closely with the local government and officers from the National Park to coordinate an unprecedented three-day cleanup event – coinciding with September 21st’s international World Cleanup Day.

Debris and rubbish swept up in the floods emerged all across Koh Chang as the floodwaters receded.

Runoff was particularly severe in areas like the beautiful Klong Phrao Beach, where water levels were reported to be up to 50cm deep during the storm. Without urgent removal, this waste would simply be carried by tides out to sea, where it enters the ecosystem and is unlikely to ever be recovered. Left unattended, this debris also carries health risks for humans, animals, and marine life alike.

71320975_2368984863199038_5966772299376885760_n.jpg

More than 1,000 volunteers assembled over the three-day cleanup, including participants traveling from all across Thailand who had seen reports about the flooding. A number of electricians, kitchen staff, and cleanup volunteers headed to Koh Chang to join the local community, eager to help restore the beautiful island quickly, brought together through a community spirit of collective action!

Full story: https://trashhero.org/blog/massive-3-day-cleanup-restores-koh-chang/?fbclid=IwAR1yhmE2N5d10N4d1FqapNh8U9n2kJbgUHCFKIWF3B8HNewgZoZP4GE-E7M

I thought I recognized the beach. I was there in August. That's a hell of a lot of debris, it was pristine that time (although rainy). Good job.

I think this one will have been flushed to the beach by now...

1079945579_EFFECTS(Medium).jpg.16c0174fef2abc86579a6099b546fff3.jpg

It was just about right where the photo is taken from.

Looking at that pile of trash one must ask where the hell did it all come from?

If it came from inland then Koh Chang must have been a rubbish tip, if it came from off-shore then kiss the ocean goodbye !

Then one wonders where all the collected trash will be sent, nearest land-fill site no doubt.

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I thought I recognized the beach. I was there in August. That's a hell of a lot of debris, it was pristine that time (although rainy). Good job.

I think this one will have been flushed to the beach by now...

1079945579_EFFECTS(Medium).jpg.16c0174fef2abc86579a6099b546fff3.jpg

It was just about right where the photo is taken from.

my retirement home lol ???? 

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If it came from inland then Koh Chang must have been a rubbish tip, if it came from off-shore then kiss the ocean goodbye !

Then one wonders where all the collected trash will be sent, nearest land-fill site no doubt.

Inland, the beach is actually separated from the island by a river that very likely overflowed and flushed that already broken up resort and whatever came from the river with it. I saw nearby Kai Bae had something like a 50cm deep raging current flowing on the road in a video here on TVF. 

This is the location of my photo: https://goo.gl/maps/pwFb9VRivu3r8VcM7

23 hours ago, hotchilli said:

????That is a stupid and annoying comment to make, considering all rubbish bins got washed away, and also the rubbish tip collection points got flooded, most rubbish gets shipped buy truck off the island, the trash heroes (my wife is one) work relentlessly to keep the island and the ocean clean, every week including going out in boats to clean the surrounding islands, now where does your trash go and imagine the bins if you can, being washed away by 1/2 mt of fast flowing water,people lost their homes and much more. Well done to the hotels and Resorts that not only opened their doors, to foreign staff not just their staff who had nowhere to sleep, and to the volunteers and fed them. ???????????? to EVERY body concerned. A lot of people here are still trying to get their life back together, now no rain for 3 days. good luck to all involved !

Archived