Online U.K visit visa..

Hi,

We've not done the online version of the visit visa for my wife before. Just need to know some info on timings etc.

Is it still up to 3 months prior to travel, for applying ?

If you scan supporting docs, is there any need to visit VFS still ? Her biometrics are still the same as last time she did them :)

What's the average time for visa processing these days ? Last time was pretty quick but we paid for the fast track service as we were last minute trip.

Thanks

Yes, she can apply up to three months before the intended date of travel, I don't know what the current processing time is, no doubt some one with recent experience will chip in.

Although she can upload her supporting documents, some members have experienced problems doing so, again no doubt someone will chip in. Your wife still needs to visit the Visa Application Centre to have her biometric details recaptured, unlike Schengen applicants who don't have to visit an application centre if they've have their details captured up to, I think 60 months ago, the UKVI require it every time, maybe they're checking it's the same person.

18 hours ago, BanMuangFarang said:

My wife's last Visit Visa to the UK [May 2019] took about 3 weeks to process from her visit to Bangkok to her receiving her passport back with visa stamp in it.

Mine was just over the 2 weeks when she did the application in March. The time has always varied a bit with demand and going into the winter the demand should be dropping.

17 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Mine was just over the 2 weeks when she did the application in March. The time has always varied a bit with demand and going into the winter the demand should be dropping.

Ditto for a visit in April-May of 2018, a late March application had it sorted in 2 weeks.

Next time, prolly next year, going for the 5 year version, it is such a rigmarole doing the paperwork and BKK visits every time.

4 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Ditto for a visit in April-May of 2018, a late March application had it sorted in 2 weeks.

Next time, prolly next year, going for the 5 year version, it is such a rigmarole doing the paperwork and BKK visits every time.

Yup, I was contemplating just getting a 10yr one... It's expensive but might be the catalyst we need to visit more ??

She's off to BKK for a wedding in late October anyway, so might get her to coordinate a VFS visit at the same time, to re-take her "biometrics" ????

5 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

If it suits your circumstances, consider the 10 year option  -  that looks really good value compared to the others. I don't know why anyone would apply for 2 years when it is almost 4 times the cost of a 6 month application.

19 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, she can apply up to three months before the intended date of travel, I don't know what the current processing time is, no doubt some one with recent experience will chip in.

Although she can upload her supporting documents, some members have experienced problems doing so, again no doubt someone will chip in. Your wife still needs to visit the Visa Application Centre to have her biometric details recaptured, unlike Schengen applicants who don't have to visit an application centre if they've have their details captured up to, I think 60 months ago, the UKVI require it every time, maybe they're checking it's the same person.

A friend applied on 29th August and the processed application was back at the VAC (and email sent) on 16th September.

12 working days I think.

The missus, who has obviously dealt with the er, staff, at VFS several times over the years, and her dread and paranoia in dealing with said "staff", reckons go for a 5 year one first. Once successful and 5 years are up, then go for the 10 year version.

Who am i to argue?

What i do know, is over the years it has, sometimes, been incredibly awkward and time consuming to get a visit visa for my wife of 14 years who has my Anglo Saxon name and is the mother of my son who has dual nationality.

17 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Yup, I was contemplating just getting a 10yr one..

12 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If it suits your circumstances, consider the 10 year option  -  that looks really good value compared to the others.

Concur.

2 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

The missus, who has obviously dealt with the er, staff, at VFS several times over the years, and her dread and paranoia in dealing with said "staff", reckons go for a 5 year one first. Once successful and 5 years are up, then go for the 10 year version.

Who am i to argue?

What i do know, is over the years it has, sometimes, been incredibly awkward and time consuming to get a visit visa for my wife of 14 years who has my Anglo Saxon name and is the mother of my son who has dual nationality.

Concur.

Because you now upload the documents the actual 'interface' time with VfS Global staff is minimal. All they do now is look at a checklist and do the biometrics.

IMO that is a good thing and reduces the chances of some poorly trained retard offending or causing grief for your wife.

43 minutes ago, Binger said:

Me and the wife got our first 10 year visa in August it took 15 working days been getting 6 months for pass few years 

I'm really tempted to go this route, although we have only been to the U.K together once in the last 6yrs !!

Have told her that I want to spend more time there in future, at least 2 months a year if possible.

With a 10yr visa, she's got no excuse ????

36 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I'm really tempted to go this route, although we have only been to the U.K together once in the last 6yrs !!

Have told her that I want to spend more time there in future, at least 2 months a year if possible.

With a 10yr visa, she's got no excuse ????

A 10 year visa certainly saves a lot of hassle and is very useful should you need to visit the UK on short notice ( sick family etc )

however last time I looked it was pretty expensive and to get good value from it you would have to use it pretty frequently.

30 minutes ago, Denim said:

A 10 year visa certainly saves a lot of hassle and is very useful should you need to visit the UK on short notice ( sick family etc )

however last time I looked it was pretty expensive and to get good value from it you would have to use it pretty frequently.

822 GBP, which is the best value out of all the available visas. 

If you use it at least once a year that is !!

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I have sometimes thought about the 5 year but the cost is a bit of a deterrent on top of the other expenses. One year I was faced with 3 visas, UK, Canada and Germany, fortunately the latter was free.

Going to BKK is not a big deal, only 2 hours from home to Trendy, a bit easier than Regent House.

A friend's wife applied on 9th September and all was done and processed 2 days ago. She was refused for one reason or another.

Strangely, she was advised of the refusal by email from UKVI New Delhi.

Has anyone else heard of refusals being advised by email prior to the return of passport?

8 hours ago, puchooay said:

A friend's wife applied on 9th September and all was done and processed 2 days ago. She was refused for one reason or another.

Has anyone else heard of refusals being advised by email prior to the return of passport?

Yes. New Delhi now processes the visas for Thailand. Recently I've heard the opposite where an email says a visa has been successful. Having said that, it wasn't on here and it wasn't my experience. The system has changed quite a bit since my wife's visit visas in 2015 but the fundamental's are the same

Just completed the application online. The completion of the application form is much improved. However, the uploading of documents is dreadful. I uploaded one section at a time and it still kicked me out three times, with no link on how to get back in.

Wife has had two previous visitor visas, I've toned down the supporting evidence. Too much of a pain in the backside.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:30 PM, puchooay said:

On the 16th September that certainly wasn't the case...... a friend received the usual communication that a decision had been made - then waited for the post to hear the decision.

I applaud earlier advice of a decision, approval or decline, waiting is often the worst time.

Archived