Pigeons eats the chicken food how to keep them away ?

noopin2014

Of course there is also the risk of salmonella.

As 'grollies' rightly posted provide feed inside the chicken shed.

You could make a covered feeding point outside with a hanging feed hopper fixed high enough to stop pigeons eating from it.

Don't put out kitchen food scraps - wild birds / rats.

Ensure your chickens have drinking points.

Keep them vaccinated.

One more and cheaper idea. You make a box for the food. The openings at the top are big enough that the chicken can reach the food but not big enough that the pigeons can get inside. Since chicken have longer necks than pigeons make the box so high that only the chicken can reach the food. The pigeons will suffer a lot with their short neck since they only can see the food but not reach it. 

13 hours ago, Beggar said:

There are special food boxes for chicken. When they step on the platform the lid opens. Often you can adjust how much weight is needed to open the lid. Of course works only if the chicken are heavier than the pigeons. 

chicken.jpg

Brilliant!....

Just an after thought...you could attach weights to the chicken's legs if the weight issue was a problem..555

14 hours ago, Tayaout said:

My inlaw has some kind of giant net to catch the bird that fly over the chicken and he eat them. 

Hawk and owl silhouette decoys will work for a while while you put netting over the pens.  Small enough mesh to stop your target species may still let sparrows in and they eat shed loads to.

5 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Hawk and owl silhouette decoys will work for a while while you put netting over the pens.  Small enough mesh to stop your target species may still let sparrows in and they eat shed loads to.

Probably my English is not very good. I mean my inlaw catch birds and eat them.

My 2 baht worth ,how about a simple wooden  frame ,wooden eucalyptus poles would do ,and use shade cloth over the top ,and maybe at the back and sides and feed the birds on the inside ,if it gets a bit wet ,just move it round .

Or get some bangers ,like they use at Thai funerals and set them off now and then seems to work ,farmers in our area use them on sunflowers, one field  will be 20 rie ,and it works ,with your 1 rie should not be a problem,the Thai version of our gas gun  bird scarer. should not bother the chickens.    

Archived