Translating my transcript to English to get a teaching license

Druidian

Hello everybody.

My school demanded of me to get my transcript to my Master's degree translated from Polish to English in order to apply for a teaching license (permit). My Master's degree (in Education) is in English. Some school told me I had to get it translated at my Embassy, the Internet says it's enough to do it at a Thailand based company and my school says they don't know, I think doing it at a Polish company would be the best solution (I could also have my Embassy check and confirm the translation which is much cheaper than having them translate it). Any clue on what to do? Please, help guys.

A BA in education is usually enough to get you the full license.

Are you sure that it's about the translation, or do they want proof that your degree(s) are real?

You first need a BA and then you go for a Master's. Is it possible that you're trying to apply for a license without a BA? 

Your embassy can give you a list of certified translators, but I'd make sure that you really know what they want.

If you started working on a BA it must have been translated and authenticated already.  

Please give a bit more information to be able to help you. 

9 minutes ago, dakineto said:

You can get a master's without having  a BA, and as far as I know it's sufficient to get a license. 

Whilst I agree with the first part of your comment I cannot agree with the second.

The TCT appear to disagree with you and insist on seeing a BA even if the applicant has an MA.

You might be right, but how would you interpret Steve Crawford's post on ajarn.com then? For me it sounds like a master only is accepted, or was accepted back in 2009. 

Crawford: There a few things I thought I'd discuss this month. Moving right along...
I know a few foreign teachers who never finished their Bachelor Degree and they are a little stressed out about that fact, vis-à-vis the (not so) new teacher licensing regulations from The Teachers Council of Thailand. In an effort to help them, I compiled the following list of several websites that refer the surfer to various online and/or distance learning college/university programs. As the regulations currently stand, if you're "making a good faith effort to try to get qualified", The TCT will continue to give you a one or two year waiver. As we all know, T.I.T., so that could change by lunchtime tomorrow. However, as of right now, it's still correct. I thought I'd share the list with you and if any of you would like to add to the list, let me know and I'll add your info and repost it at a later date. Thanks in advance.

College/University Websites:
1) http://www.le.ac.uk/se/distancelearn/distancelearn.html

This is the site for The University of Leicester (England) and its' Distance Learning Masters Degrees in Applied Linguistics, Educational Leadership or International Education. Why am I putting this link into an article to help people who never finished their Bachelor Degree? Because Leicester has the right, like any other British University, to accept students into their Masters level programs who never finished their Bachelors, as long as they judge that you have enough teaching experience to equate with what you would have learned in the last two (major focused) years of an Education bachelor degree. Why just get a Bachelors when you can spend 2 to 3 years and graduate with a Masters from a university that is accredited by The British MOE? It costs around 300,000 Baht, but WHAT a deal! I already checked with both The British Embassy and The British Council and the both assured me that it is legit. You will have to type a rather lengthy essay, explaining to them why you think they should admit you to the program. Obviously, if you have several years of teaching experience, this will help you sell yourself. You'll also need a few references, the more impressive the better and you will have to show them your transcripts from any college level courses you DID take. They may accept you or may not. A great program all around.

The article does not actually say anything about an MA being accepted. It merely states, as most already know, that a new waiver will be issued if you can show that you are trying to get qualified. I have heard more than one occasion since then where an MA has been refused as it is not accompanied by a BA.

The Thai education system does not allow thinking outside of the box and that results in thoughts that an MA without a BA is impossible.

9 minutes ago, dakineto said:

So you suggest he recommends to enroll in a 300, 000 Baht master's program to get a waiver for two years?

And why would someone get a waiver if the master's without bachelor wouldn't qualify you anyway?

Indeed many questions and TCT not helpful at all.

No. I wouldn't recommend that anyone enrolls in an MA without having a BA. What you have reported is from 9 years ago. 

Many reports since 2009 of what has been refused and what has been accepted. An MA without a BA is on of the refusals that I have heard of more than once.

1 hour ago, dakineto said:

Any links to the "many reports"?

Personal experiences. Only "more than once" for MA only, as I mentioned. The many reports refers to refusals of many kinds. Such as a university not being on the TCT list of accredited universities even though they are accredited. Sheffield Hallam being a glaring example.

1 hour ago, dakineto said:

One of the teachers here just got his license - he has a MA only. 

LOL. Yes, of course they have. That is why you mentioned it before. ????

I got a teaching permit one month ago, my former school submitted my BA, its transcripts (both in Polish), MA in English and my transcripts in Polish. It's difficult to say what decided on granting me the permit but I assume my MA since only that document is in English.

Now the Department of Labour asked my school for calling TCT and asking them about renaming my permit... interesting. I want the school to rename my Non-B in order to get a work permint without going for short holidays to Laos or Myanmar.

4 minutes ago, Druidian said:

I got a teaching permit one month ago, my former school submitted my BA, its transcripts (both in Polish), MA in English and my transcripts in Polish. It's difficult to say what decided on granting me the permit but I assume my MA since only that document is in English.

Now the Department of Labour asked my school for calling TCT and asking them about renaming my permit... interesting. I want the school to rename my Non-B in order to get a work permint without going for short holidays to Laos or Myanmar.

Are you sure you are not getting confused? Your post makes no sense. TCT to change the name of your permit? What do you mean by that? Re name your Non B????? To get a teacher licence you already need to have a work permit. What visa do you have now if you don't have a Non B?

I got a teaching permit although my former school didn't get a work permit for me. I've got a Non-B but I want the Immigration Office to change the sponsorship. What's weird is the Department of Labour asked for calling KURUSAPA and asking them about renaming my former teaching permit. Do I need a teaching permit to apply for a work permit? To change the sponsorship I (and my new school) have to apply for a work permit.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, dakineto said:

You can get a master's without having  a BA, and as far as I know it's sufficient to get a license. 

In the past, it was the BA that was sacrosanct.   Giving them the Master's did not cut it.  

On 9/30/2019 at 3:34 PM, Druidian said:

I got a teaching permit although my former school didn't get a work permit for me. I've got a Non-B but I want the Immigration Office to change the sponsorship. What's weird is the Department of Labour asked for calling KURUSAPA and asking them about renaming my former teaching permit. Do I need a teaching permit to apply for a work permit? To change the sponsorship I (and my new school) have to apply for a work permit.

OK. So, it sounds like you are on a 90 day Non B visa obtained with paper work from a previous employer. It also sounds like you have a 2 year waiver from Kurusapa and not a licence.

Both of these are non transferable. You will need your new school to apply for new ones. The bad luck is that it seems the consulate from which you got your Non B wrote the school name on the visa. Some do and some don't.

Looks like a trip out of country is needed to get a new Non B followed by a new application to Kurusapa for a new waiver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 9:34 PM, Druidian said:

What do you mean by having a teaching permit? I'd have thought a provisional teacher's license that's good for two years?

If issued for your former school, it has now expired, and you'd need another one for your current school.

You need a provisional license, often also called waiver letter, or a full license to be able to apply for a work permit.

My apologies, but I don't understand what you mean regarding the "change of sponsorship?" Is that your new employer?

If so, you'll need a new provisional teacher's license from the TCT, and some other documents from your school and the corresponding education office. 

Your BA must be translated into Thai and certified. From their website:

"- Any document not in English or Thai, it must be accompanied by an official Thai translation, prepared and certified as correct by an official translator. The Council considers an official translator to be a certified translator, a certified court interpreter, an authorized government official, or an official translation from a professional translation service or an appropriate language department at any university)."

Please see attached PDF file. 

http://www.en.moe.go.th/enMoe2017/images/PDF/TeacherLicense1_OK.pdf

TeacherLicense1_OK.pdf

On 10/2/2019 at 5:16 PM, youreavinalaff said:

OK. So, it sounds like you are on a 90 day Non B visa obtained with paper work from a previous employer. It also sounds like you have a 2 year waiver from Kurusapa and not a licence.

Both of these are non transferable. You will need your new school to apply for new ones. The bad luck is that it seems the consulate from which you got your Non B wrote the school name on the visa. Some do and some don't.

Looks like a trip out of country is needed to get a new Non B followed by a new application to Kurusapa for a new waiver.

If that's necessary, the immigration might want to see a translated degree with transcripts. Best would be to get in touch with the TCT. 

Archived