Lazada- Mi 9T, K20 Pro, Warning

dddave

There is a fraudulent seller currently advertising Xiaomi Mi9Tpro, K20Pro and other high end phones on Lazada.  His ad's are rather obvious.  Prices are 2000-3000 below lowest legit sellers.

His listings have minimal information, sometimes not even RAM/ROM amounts.  In the "Question& Answer" section, he redirects all questions to his LINE account.  He has a number of listings under several seller names but the style is the same.  You will see no seller rating or delivery rating.

Yes...I fell for it, stupefied by the low price.

I ordered COD, (what could go wrong?) Mi9T Pro 6/128 B9000.  Got full Lazada confirmation.  Next day he texts my LINE.  Those are out of stock but he can get more but needs a 50% deposit. After some back and forth, idiot that I am, I agreed, despite alarms going off. Delivery guaranteed next day by messenger.  Next day.  Another text from seller.  He cant get the phones without paying "Insurance and customs fees" so needs me to send B4000 additional which he guarantees will be repaid to me upon delivery...next day for sure.  Yah; right.  I knew I was screwed.  He kept texting me pledging his honesty and all sorts of stories, reducing the amount to B3000, then B2000.  I sent back demands he deliver the phone as agreed or refund the deposit.  Futile, of course.  

I notified Lazada.  They requested and I sent screenshots of all our texts but that was yesterday and his ad's are still up...10 that I could find.   I toyed with the idea of notifying the police, I do have the bank account number he used but I know that it also would be futile.  

So, like they always say:  "If It Sounds To Good To Be True, It Isn't True"

Since I am interested in these phones (Mi9T/K20 not the Pro versions) I was looking at listings in the last 2/3 days and saw these listings. I knew something was off but thought that they would be grey market..

What you are describing sounds very much like fraud and Lazada should be making more effort to police their marketplace.

Good luck.

3 minutes ago, bobbin said:

What you are describing sounds very much like fraud and Lazada should be making more effort to police their marketplace.

The marketplace is fine.

It is when OP chose to take the transaction OUTSIDE the marketplace trouble (of course) started.

Nothing Lazada (or ebay or whoever) can do, and in fact there are warnings all over to never take a transaction off of the platform.

For reference

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/offers-buy-sell-outside-ebay-policy?id=4272

https://www.lazada.com.ph/helpcenter/What-should-I-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-Lazada-Website-or-Application.html

follow up..

Mi Thailand will be selling the Mi9TPro and K20Pro but are not selling the non-Pro versions, so I already knew that if I want one I will be dealing with re-sellers..which means grey market.

But this fellows ads just seemed...off.

25 minutes ago, Jan Dietz said:

The marketplace is fine.

It is when OP chose to take the transaction OUTSIDE the marketplace trouble (of course) started.

Nothing Lazada (or ebay or whoever) can do, and in fact there are warnings all over to never take a transaction off of the platform.

For reference

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/payment-policies/offers-buy-sell-outside-ebay-policy?id=4272

https://www.lazada.com.ph/helpcenter/What-should-I-do-if-someone-asks-me-to-pay-outside-Lazada-Website-or-Application.html

I never said I expected compensation from Lazada and took pains to make it clear that I went off platform and take full responsibility for my error in judgement.

24 minutes ago, bobbin said:

follow up..

Mi Thailand will be selling the Mi9TPro and K20Pro but are not selling the non-Pro versions, so I already knew that if I want one I will be dealing with re-sellers..which means grey market.

But this fellows ads just seemed...off.

Most of the K20s on offer are China version. Some sellers are flashing them with Thai and English/Play Store but some simply refer the buyer to XDA for the Global ROM.  They will still be stuck with Chinese bloatware and reportedly, a lot of ad's.

I've read instructional's and watched YT tutorials dozens of times and I still don't have a clue what needs to be done installing a new ROM.  That is why the MI9T with Global Rom already installed is so attractive.

I really wanted the 9TPro but I don't play games or really do anything that needs the Q855,

so no way to justify the extra $125++

• 1 month later...

I also was interested in getting the Mi9T or Mi9T Pro, the prices look good in the 10,000 - 13,000 range but i am wary i might have problems with the Chinese ROM, accessing Play store or with loads of Chinese bloatware.  Is it worth the risk? or better to buy a lower spec/higher priced phone in Thailand which i can just use out of the box.

Henryford: You are safe with the Mi9t, Mi9t pro.  The Mi9t variant of the K20 was released specifically as a global rom phone. There are no Mi9t's with China ROM.

Some sellers on Lazada list them as the same:  Mi9T/K20.  You have to be sure that what you are getting is the Mi9t and not the K20.

The only differences in Mi9T's is that those intended for the EU market have a specific EU rom which has access to several 4G bands that models sold in Asia don't have.

I've had my mi9t for nearly a month and am very happy with it.  Battery life is great, usually 50%+ remaining after a full day's use though I don't play game's and watch movies.

Photo/video quality is great.  WiFi connection is good and downloads happen in a hurry.

MIUI 11 is in distribution now but hasn't hit Thailand yet, at least for the Mi9t.

20 hours ago, 2008bangkok said:

I have seen a number of phones, jbl speakers, samsung tv, surface pro laptops all well under what anybody else sells for. Allways can tell its a scam.

Definitely wouldn't send money outside the platform.

Bad luck for the OP getting ripped off.

Yes bad luck but the OP must have known that a Mi9T Pro for 9000 was a scam. The cheapest genuine 9T Pro would be at least 13,000. If the price is that low it's obviously a scam.

Archived