Ongoing depression prescription

bluesofa

My wife had some work-related stress, which after a year caused her to visit the hospital.

The doctor diagnosed her with depression, prescribing the following:

Prozac 20mg (x2 taken am)

Nortriptyline 25mg (x1 taken pm)

Lorazepam 1mg (x1 as required)

It's now nine months later, and the problem which initially caused the issue was resolved over three months ago.

My wife still has a two-monthly appointment to see the doctor, and last month was still prescribed the same pills.

I looked up Prozac, and one of the things mentioned was some patients who are prescribed it for an extended period, experience 'withdrawl symptoms' when they stop taking it.

I'm concerned not only about withdrawl symptoms, but also the prolonged length of time my wife has been prescribed Prozac, given she is now so much better.

Well, Lorazepam is a Benzodiazepine class drug.  Benzos are OK for very temporary short-term use but addictive and shouldn't be used with older patients, as far as I know.  Can help make you fall down.  My 91 year old mother is addicted to one of the Benzo meds. 

Wife had had generic Prozac for many years along with one other drug for general depression and anxiety.  Was 10mg once a day but Thai doctors upped it to 20mg a day.  They like pills.  She has eye pain as a side effect of meds and has had to search for a different secondary med every so often. 

Withdrawal is a very real issue, as is the dosage and the combinations.  My wife has been fighting this stuff for nearly 40 years.  Learn as much as you can, and ask questions!

9 months isn't really a long time for fluoxetine - doubt she will have many side effects when she stops, possibly disrupted sleep pattern. You should speak to the doctor about tapering down the dose of a few weeks if you are concerned.

9 months isn't really a long time for fluoxetine - doubt she will have many side effects when she stops, possibly disrupted sleep pattern. You should speak to the doctor about tapering down the dose of a few weeks if you are concerned.
As above.

Your wife needs to be a bit assertive in telling the doctor she wants to try to come off the medication.

Otherwise from their point of view: patient feels OK = medication working well = continue.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As above.

Your wife needs to be a bit assertive in telling the doctor she wants to try to come off the medication.

Otherwise from their point of view: patient feels OK = medication working well = continue.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for the comments.

My wife will accept what the doctor says, being Thai.

The last time I went with her I mentioned to the doctor about reading on the net about the addiction problems with Prozac and I had reduced her dosage from 2x 20mg daily to 1x 20mg daily.

The doctor obviously wasn't used to patients questioning his judgment, and said in no uncertain terms he was the doctor, for now she needed 2x 20mg. When he thought the time was right he would reduce the dosage himself.

It resulted in me giving my wife the 2x 20mg again, as I did wonder if I was making a mistake, as obviously I am no doctor, just an 'instant internet doctor'.

After the comments above, I think next time I'm going to tell him again, and I'll reduce the dosage whatever he says.

I have stopped giving her the Lorazepam 1mg, as originally it said 'as required', but she needed one every night to be able to get to sleep. She now only has one occasionally if she can't sleep.

I didn't find anything about the Nortriptyline 25mg being addictive, so I wonder if that can be discontinued  soon?

Again I'll ask the doctor for his opinion first, but they do seem happy to had out pills too much - in my humble opinion.

I feel sorry for your wife, having been in the same situation myself for 11 years;
authoritarian doctor, adding one medicine to stop the effect of another (and learning benzos can increase depression),

upping doses.
You should be careful, some medicines you just can stop, others you have to taper off gently.
Things quickly got better after leaving a bad work situation and learning to know my mind (through meditation), doing some yoga.
I made a withdrawal program by myself, with help from google (not recommended), been off them for 8 years now.
Good luck.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the comments.

My wife will accept what the doctor says, being Thai.

The last time I went with her I mentioned to the doctor about reading on the net about the addiction problems with Prozac and I had reduced her dosage from 2x 20mg daily to 1x 20mg daily.

The doctor obviously wasn't used to patients questioning his judgment, and said in no uncertain terms he was the doctor, for now she needed 2x 20mg. When he thought the time was right he would reduce the dosage himself.

It resulted in me giving my wife the 2x 20mg again, as I did wonder if I was making a mistake, as obviously I am no doctor, just an 'instant internet doctor'.

After the comments above, I think next time I'm going to tell him again, and I'll reduce the dosage whatever he says.

I have stopped giving her the Lorazepam 1mg, as originally it said 'as required', but she needed one every night to be able to get to sleep. She now only has one occasionally if she can't sleep.

I didn't find anything about the Nortriptyline 25mg being addictive, so I wonder if that can be discontinued  soon?

Again I'll ask the doctor for his opinion first, but they do seem happy to had out pills too much - in my humble opinion.

Neither the nortriptyline nor the Prozac are addictive as such but both need to be tapered off gradually.

The lorazepam is addictive but the sort of very occasional use you describe should nto be a problem.

Key with the doctor is nto to tell him anything, just respectfully ask  e.g. "her depression is gone now, do you think it is possible to decrease the dosage/taper off the medication?".

Well, Lorazepam is a Benzodiazepine class drug.  Benzos are OK for very temporary short-term use but addictive and shouldn't be used with older patients, as far as I know.  Can help make you fall down.  My 91 year old mother is addicted to one of the Benzo meds. 

Wife had had generic Prozac for many years along with one other drug for general depression and anxiety.  Was 10mg once a day but Thai doctors upped it to 20mg a day.  They like pills.  She has eye pain as a side effect of meds and has had to search for a different secondary med every so often. 

Withdrawal is a very real issue, as is the dosage and the combinations.  My wife has been fighting this stuff for nearly 40 years.  Learn as much as you can, and ask questions!

On the other hand your wife’s benzodiazepines may have improved her life considerably. Just a thought.
If she has problems with lorazepam you should be aware that it’s half life is quite short short, and with continued years it’s possible to notice with drawls in between doses. This is a problem for the standard three times a day dosage.
Of cross with drawl is an option but depending on your wife’s age addiction may not be the worst thing in the world.
Bug the daily roller coaster of lorazepam affect effect is definitely undesirable… Your wife should at least speak to her doctor about changing benzodiazepines to get a smoother ride.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm concerned not only about withdrawl symptoms, but also the prolonged length of time my wife has been prescribed Prozac, given she is now so much better.

Sod the doctor. They don't always know best. When I came to Thailand I was taking Prozac and I had a run in with the doctors. So I just came off them 'cold turkey'. Not pleasant but not as bad as I thought it would be. Stayed off antidepressants then for about 10 years. Had a relapse about 2 years ago and put on Sertraline. I wanted to come off those after a year so I reduced my dosage and weaned myself off of those and all is good. In myself I don't think antidepressants work but each to their own thoughts. By the way, as Sheryl said, antidepressants are not addictive. Loraxepam are. But your wife has been probably prescribed them as a sleeping aid.
What I found as a great aid in combating depression was to just to sit and talk to a friend about how you feel and your concerns. Talking helps me when I'm feeling low. Good luck.

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Sod the doctor. They don't always know best. When I came to Thailand I was taking Prozac and I had a run in with the doctors. So I just came off them 'cold turkey'. Not pleasant but not as bad as I thought it would be. Stayed off antidepressants then for about 10 years. Had a relapse about 2 years ago and put on Sertraline. I wanted to come off those after a year so I reduced my dosage and weaned myself off of those and all is good. In myself I don't think antidepressants work but each to their own thoughts. By the way, as Sheryl said, antidepressants are not addictive. Loraxepam are. But your wife has been probably prescribed them as a sleeping aid.
What I found as a great aid in combating depression was to just to sit and talk to a friend about how you feel and your concerns. Talking helps me when I'm feeling low. Good luck.

Thanks.

There seem to be a quite few posts on here about ignoring what the doctor says.

Although I really want to reduce the dosage first, in order to eventually stop completely, hoping the doctor will see that too.

My wife's next appointment is four weeks time. I'll update then.

Archived