U.S. House to launch Trump impeachment inquiry over Ukraine controversy

webfact

Getting back to the OP.  Any guesses how long it will take this "impeachment inquiry"?

After Inquiry began on Nixon it was 6 months later he resigned. 

Clinton 4 months to impeachment.

So maybe Trump 2 months?  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I laugh when anti Trump brigade bring up vacuous terms like he's not honourable.

I guess they prefer those who act honourable in public and get up to all kinds of 

nasty and corrupt behaviour on the sly. (Wait for Durham report)

Newsflash: Trump wasn't elected to be fake nice and fake honourable...he was elected because

he's actually quite an unpleasant and hard-nosed guy who will raise the hard issues and try to

dismantle the set ways on both sides that have taken the ordinary person into a situation of hopelessness.

Callous approach to immigration and border security. Ineffectual trade deals and treaties that could

be more pro US. Once he's re-elected he has nothing more to lose...that's when I expect him to really let 

rip on these incompetent politicians.

12 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

I laugh when anti Trump brigade bring up vacuous terms like he's not honourable.

I guess they prefer those who act honourable in public and get up to all kinds of 

nasty and corrupt behaviour on the sly. (Wait for Durham report)

Newsflash: Trump wasn't elected to be fake nice and fake honourable...he was elected because

he's actually quite an unpleasant and hard-nosed guy who will raise the hard issues and try to

dismantle the set ways on both sides that have taken the ordinary person into a situation of hopelessness.

Callous approach to immigration and border security. Ineffectual trade deals and treaties that could

be more pro US. Once he's re-elected he has nothing more to lose...that's when I expect him to really let 

rip on these incompetent politicians.

The problem is what you are describing is a dictatorship Donald doesent have the leadership skills to achieve those goals in a democracy he keeps trying to do things outside the constitution that’s illegal that’s why he is always in trouble and btw his policies have on the whole been an absolute fiasco for the average American and the world order.i personally don’t put my confidence in a real estate con man wanting to blow everything up 

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Contested by who, CNN?

Now that you have learnt what google does and saw that Ukraine determined biden did nothing wrong I expect you to accept the fact as truth and go troll other places.

Now that you have learnt what google does and saw that Ukraine determined biden did nothing wrong I expect you to accept the fact as truth and go troll other places.

Yeah, I google Biden Ukraine and I get page after page of left wing “news” outlets condemning Trump and praising Biden.

That proves it, thanks!

The problem is what you are describing is a dictatorship Donald doesent have the leadership skills to achieve those goals in a democracy he keeps trying to do things outside the constitution that’s illegal that’s why he is always in trouble and btw his policies have on the whole been an absolute fiasco for the average American and the world order.i personally don’t put my confidence in a real estate con man wanting to blow everything up 

If he were a dictator or hitler or whatnot, why would he not have all those feckless dems rounded up and executed?

Why would he continue to give access to all the phony news networks?

Dictator indeed.

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Getting back to the OP.  Any guesses how long it will take this "impeachment inquiry"?

So maybe Trump 2 months?  

Good question.

Current estimates are that the impeachment from the house will be wrapped up and passed by Thankgiving or soon after but if not by the end of the year.

Then the trial in the senate should take two months or longer. 

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

So maybe Trump 2 months?  

The entire articles of impeachment will simply read, "Orange Man bad."

I have a question about the impeachment. Will 45 be compelled to testify (privately and/or publicly) at any point in the process? Obviously with his obstruction of congress and persistent calling the impeachment process illegitimate (which is false, it is fully constitutional) he won't voluntarily testify during the house process. But assuming this goes through all the way to the end of a senate trial, won't he need to testify at some point (public or private) in the process? I don't know the answer is why I'm asking. Remember he was not forced to have a live interview during the Mueller investigation but instead providing written answers (mostly with I don't remember answers).

1 hour ago, Tug said:

He would not even be able to be a good dictator like Putin or Xi.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I have a question about the impeachment. Will 45 be compelled to testify (privately and/or publicly) at any point in the process? Obviously with his obstruction of congress and persistent calling the impeachment process illegitimate (which is false, it is fully constitutional) he won't voluntarily testify during the house process. But assuming this goes through all the way to the end of a senate trial, won't he need to testify at some point (public or private) in the process? I don't know the answer is why I'm asking. Remember he was not forced to have a live interview during the Mueller investigation but instead providing written answers (mostly with I don't remember answers).

No, but Biden will.

Another thing about any called witnesses that refuse to testify to congress. That won't stop this. It is happening. Also there is a legal angle where witnesses that refuse to testify can be labelled as trying to hide something negative. Obviously it would be best to hear from all called witnesses but the stonewalling has already failed. 

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another thing about any called witnesses that refuse to testify to congress. That won't stop this. It is happening. Also there is a legal angle where witnesses that refuse to testify can be labelled as trying to hide something negative. Obviously it would be best to hear from all called witnesses but the stonewalling has already failed. 

The Republicans control the Senate.  They won't call Trump.  All this is assuming it even gets to the Senate.  If the Dems with their "impeachment inquiry" go down the Ukraine road, the Senate will subpoena Biden and he WILL have to testify, right during his primary campaign.  Trump himself will be allowed to interrogate Biden if Trump so desires.

1 minute ago, Kelsall said:

go down the Ukraine road, they will no doubt call Biden and he WILL have to testify, right during his primary campaign.  Trump himself will be allowed to interrogate Biden if Trump so desires.

This would be a major "Reality" television event with ratings through the roof.

And according to previous threats by Biden, could turn into a Septuagenarian boxing match.  

Hope it is televised if happens

When/if it gets to the Senate if all the dems have is this phone call idiocy the Senate will vote to dismiss and it will be over with a simple majority.

6 minutes ago, RideJocky said:

When/if it gets to the Senate if all the dems have is this phone call idiocy the Senate will vote to dismiss and it will be over with a simple majority.

Which doesnt answer the question.

57 minutes ago, Kelsall said:

The Republicans control the Senate.  They won't call Trump.  All this is assuming it even gets to the Senate.  If the Dems with their "impeachment inquiry" go down the Ukraine road, the Senate will subpoena Biden and he WILL have to testify, right during his primary campaign.  Trump himself will be allowed to interrogate Biden if Trump so desires.

Why would biden care. Hes already been cleared.

What makes you think he will be the dem candidate, its way to early.

2 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Why would biden care. Hes already been cleared.

What makes you think he will be the dem candidate, its way to early.

Yeah they will probably will call him and that will only make the republicans look silly. It's an impeachment trial of 45, not private citizen Biden. 

I don't really know what the difference is between a formal or an informal inquiry.  Many people and agencies have been inquiring about President Trump for years, and such things are in the news regularly.   Any impeachment proceedings would be a waste of taxpayer's money, similar to the Clinton impeachment attempt.  There is just no grounds for the things that the impeachment process was created to address, Treason, heinous conduct, etc.  Now the man may have done things wrong, may have abused power, etc.  But impeachment is just noise.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah they will probably will call him and that will only make the republicans look silly. It's an impeachment trial of 45, not private citizen Biden. 

Im glad they are all happy to bring on impeachment. So im sure they will stop crying about it.

Just now, gk10002000 said:

I don't really know what the difference is between a formal or an informal inquiry.  Many people and agencies have been inquiring about President Trump for years, and such things are in the news regularly.   Any impeachment proceedings would be a waste of taxpayer's money, similar to the Clinton impeachment attempt.  There is just no grounds for the things that the impeachment process was created to address, Treason, heinous conduct, etc.  Now the man may have done things wrong, may have abused power, etc.  But impeachment is just noise.

Abuse of power is the heart of impeachment. Its why it was put into the constitution.

Just now, gk10002000 said:

Actually abuse of presidential power fits perfectly as an impeachable offense. Many people are confused about what's an impeachable offense. It's not the same thing as crimes. 45 is obviously by far the president most deserving of impeachment in American history and even though he probably won't be convicted, he will be getting the impeachment that he has practically been begging for. 

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Abuse of power is the heart of impeachment. Its why it was put into the constitution.

"“The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”.

Just now, Jingthing said:

Actually abuse of presidential power fits perfectly as an impeachable offense. Many people are confused about what's an impeachable offense. It's not the same thing as crimes. 45 is obviously by far the president most deserving of impeachment in American history and even though he probably won't be convicted, he will be getting the impeachment that he has practically been begging for. 

No.  Abuse of power is subjective, and is not necessarily a crime.   those words are NOT used in the impeachment clause in the constitution.  Abuse of power is not necessarily a crime.  

"“The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. "

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

"“The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”.

If the shoe fits.

3 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

High crimes etc is what congress decides it is. Abuse of power is top of the list of what is considered impeachable.

Edit. It doesnt need to be a crime.

1 minute ago, gk10002000 said:

No.  Abuse of power is subjective, and is not necessarily a crime.   those words are NOT used in the impeachment clause in the constitution.  Abuse of power is not necessarily a crime.  

"“The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors”. "

Again, you really don't get it!

It doesn't need to be a literal crime on the books.

Impeachable offenses are whatever the house decides they are.

In 45's case, there are plenty. 

Just now, Jingthing said:

Again, you really don't get it!

It doesn't need to be a literal crime on the books.

Impeachable offenses are whatever the house decides they are.

In 45's case, there are plenty. 

Correct. Impeachment is not a criminal trial. It is a political trial

Archived