More doom and gloom......

properperson

It's about time the problems associated with big bikes was addressed. Only a loon would allow a stranger to hand over some money and climb on to a 750cc M/C and go roaring off into the traffic.

Anyone remember those two young Welshmen who got killed on Pattaya's Second Rd near Big C within hours of hiring one of these lethal machines.

Doom and Gloom?? Not at all!! Good move!! Now they need to actually enforce the need for a proper bike licence among all motorcyclists in Thailand, 'big bike' or small. Plus, perhaps, increasing the minimum age at which a licence can be issued.

Just one thing comes to mind at the moment. My current Thai bike licence is (obviously) unrestricted, originally obtained without 'practical test' on the strength of my UK Category A (unrestricted cc) bike licence and IDP (plus advanced riding qualifications which are irrelevant here). It wasn't just another category on my licence but never ridden a bike - I was a daily, all-seasons biker for nearly 40 years in UK.

I wonder whether, similarly, a foreign unrestricted cc bike licence will allow a Thai 'big bike' licence to be issued without further practical testing. Not that it'd be a problem but I can foresee quite long waiting times for the new tests.

54 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

It's about time the problems associated with big bikes was addressed. Only a loon would allow a stranger to hand over some money and climb on to a 750cc M/C and go roaring off into the traffic.

Anyone remember those two young Welshmen who got killed on Pattaya's Second Rd near Big C within hours of hiring one of these lethal machines.

they are not lethal IF DRIVEN CORRECTLY by a competent driver....

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The speed limit in Bangkok is already 80 kph. 

I think a better proposal would be limit the engine size of rental bikes? If one wishes to ride a big bike on vacation in Pattaya there is always BIRA Circuit quite nearby. 

Chiang Mai is a very popular destination for experienced big bike riders to come for a 1 week holiday and tour on big touring/adventure bikes around the mountain scenery. Why would you outlaw that? Just a requirement for a big bike license (if enforced) will do the trick... same like most countries where big bike riding seems not an issue.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Banning lane splitting in jams is daft as known :- 

"this allows riders to save time, bypassing traffic congestion, and may also be safer than stopping behind stationary vehicles."

Yea completely ridicolous. Let's forget about all the people running red lights and driving in the wrong direction with no helmet and a phone in the hand. Big bike lane splitting is the problem! Oh of course small scooters are still fine to lane split? <deleted>!

If they're going to enforce lane splitting (which I doubt, even if it does become a law) then it should work both ways.  If I've stopped on the side of the lane at a red light, then no car should be allowed to come alongside me.  And, if a group of riders stop in single file - which they'd have to do, or they'd be lane splitting each other, then the first car along should stop behind the rearmost one.

Just now, sabaijai said:

Anyone know what  the legal definition of "big bike" is in Thailand, ie, the defining displacement size?

When this came up previously they mentioned 400cc and above, but if you ask anyone on here they will argue that the lower limit should be whatever size they happen to ride.

34 minutes ago, sabaijai said:

Anyone know what  the legal definition of "big bike" is in Thailand, ie, the defining displacement size?

well i noticed most motorbike/scooter shops are 300cc and under.

larger that that you need to go to a motorcycle dealership. that might be the definition of big.

Banning lane splitting for big bikes is a dangerous idea. With all the tailgating that goes on it would be dangerous to not be allowed to overtake between 2 cars. Not only could you not lane split but you'd have to position yourself in the middle of the car in front (not to the side, looking between the 2 cars in front) as well because otherwise you'd be blocking all the small bikes from legally lane splitting. You'd be a sitting duck.

Great revenue earner for the Police though, they'd make loads of money from riders ignoring the law for their own safety. Much like the law that says bikes have to be in the left lane, constantly getting cut across by buses, taxis, cars turning left from the middle lane etc.

Quote: Chirute Visalachitra, deputy permanent secretary for transport, said on Tuesday that under the “lane-splitting” ban, big-bike riders would not be permitted to ride or pass between vehicles and would have to wait for traffic lights behind other vehicles in traffic lanes.

<deleted>, if Mr Chirute could just get out of his Mercedes Benz once and try a ride on a big bike, he will discover that above is utterly nonsense talk.

I think it's fine they will try enforcing max 80k/h in the city, FOR ALL BIKES. On Sukhumvit passing Pattaya, it's every man for himself, getting smoked again and again by Thais on heavy modified 125cc bikes going well over 100km/h and when on big bikes, sometimes over 200km/h, bloody madness.

And when can +500cc bikes go on the Tollways Mr Chirute??

Typical government rhetoric in response to a few high profile accidents on big bikes, I think most involve Thai riders. The majority ofdeathsare small bikes thrashing around without helmets. As far as I knew there is already an 80kph limit for EVERYONE in built up areas.

8 hours ago, ballpoint said:

If they're going to enforce lane splitting (which I doubt, even if it does become a law) then it should work both ways.  If I've stopped on the side of the lane at a red light, then no car should be allowed to come alongside me.  And, if a group of riders stop in single file - which they'd have to do, or they'd be lane splitting each other, then the first car along should stop behind the rearmost one.

I'm with you how are they going to enforce, it's just another person in govt trying to look busy before thinking it through.

I don't like riding in a group or Bkk but if the govt put this in road traffic law I for one of many would join the many 1000's of big bikes owners in a single line protest in Bangkok. 

Most motorcycle deaths in Thailand are on scooters, no helmets to prevent head injuries, flimsy clothing.

Thai law enforcement in Chiang Mai is a sick joke. When I am out and about on scooter or in my car, I would say at least 50% are not wearing helmets. Probably another 10% are wearing helmets with the same protective capacity as an eggshell.

Instead of fining a paltry 200 baht ( Thai ) or 500 baht ( farang ) for not wearing a helmet, impound the scooter for a month. Behaviours would change quite quickly.

Archived