Vietnam monthly apartment, room or hotel rentals

Langkawee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Langkawee said:

You are correct. It takes more than a nice 4000 baht apartment to be happy, but it doesn't hurt. Thais will tell you which apartments have burglaries and which don't if you ask them. Thais have guaranteed me that if I move into some mentioned apartments they could guarantee I'd be robbed. The New Hanoian forum has much details about these Spider-Man robberies. It's a good read. i would not call Thailand paradise. But it has good infrastructure. It is let down by many other things. But it appears to win on monthly apartments and hotels, as nobody has been able to confirm names of apartments or hotels with monthly rates the same as Thai prices. I think generally in Thailand if you pay above 3000 baht monthly you won't be burgled. Infrastructure, I mean good cheap gyms. Deadly but cheap buses and vans. One feels lucky to depart Thailand alive. And of course many mysterious deaths that you don't see in other Asian countries. And supermarkets are much more expensive in Thailand. 

If i and probably most others would move from Thailand to Vietnam it wouldn’t be for a price differences in accommodations but for differences visa requirements.

Seems to me accommodations can be found inexpensive in both these 2 Countries no significant difference!

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

If i and probably most others would move from Thailand to Vietnam it wouldn’t be for a price differences in accommodations but for differences visa requirements.

Seems to me accommodations can be found inexpensive in both these 2 Countries no significant difference!

I think it's a difference between 3500 baht a month in Thailand and 10,000 baht a month in Vietnam for similar apartments from what I see online. Very well could be wrong on this because that's only looking online at Vietnam Facebook posts which is not comprehensive. tee-pak.com is very comprehensive for Thai apartments. I am no expert on the price of Vietnam monthly apartments. Under 50 indefinitely on Thai tourists visas not possible anymore, and even if over 50 some may prefer not to tie up that money. I found Vietnamese people far more welcoming and hospitable than Thai people, I think that's obvious to all now, out of the tourist ghettos. Amazing the warmth of the people, a discovery of long lost humanity, a salt of the Earth discovery, best seen on a motorcycle. <deleted> amazing people. 

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

last october, I stayed in this capsule hotel to try it out which is right the center of district 1 that was 6 dollars a night.  also tried out this hotel in this alleyway next to this highland coffee shop nearby that went for 20 dollars a night. 40 sqm.  nobody else there.  down the street was this banhmi shop that had these unbelievably good sandwiches for 34000 dong.  I may make saigon my part time home each year.  roundtrip tickets from bangkok run around 90 dollars.

1 minute ago, DEKEM said:

also tried out this hotel in this alleyway next to this highland coffee shop nearby that went for 20 dollars a night.

Paid $10/night at Vinh Hostel for a triple room, air con, fridge, shower room and amazing views from a whole wall of windows looking into Highland Coffee. Had rap/rock/hiphop music from the nightclub in the park blasting out until 2am every night.

Lucky I don't sleep much these days.

2 hours ago, DEKEM said:

last october, I stayed in this capsule hotel to try it out which is right the center of district 1 that was 6 dollars a night.  also tried out this hotel in this alleyway next to this highland coffee shop nearby that went for 20 dollars a night. 40 sqm.  nobody else there.  down the street was this banhmi shop that had these unbelievably good sandwiches for 34000 dong.  I may make saigon my part time home each year.  roundtrip tickets from bangkok run around 90 dollars.

Yes, but will Thailand allow you back with your $90 return ticket, if not, from other posts Vietnam immigration sees you as persona non grata if denied entry to Thailand and therefore you are deported back to your home country. Always fun and games in Thailand, always adrenalin filled unexpected 555 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, Destiny1990 said:

The beer tastes so much better, BIA HA NOI, 13 baht a can. 

I'm in Hanoi now if anyone knows hotels at $10 or less a night, or $100 to $200 a month in any location in Hanoi. Public buses go everywhere for 9 baht regardless of distance. Traffic seems to flow much better than Bangkok due to very few cars. Use Google maps to plan your bus ride. Old quarter seems 10 times bigger than Khao Sarn road area and much more lively. Have to give the Vietnamese government credit where it's due. Hopefully the Indians will fix Thailand's tourism woes. Poor people need work. 

On September 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM, Inn Between said:

I suspect many people will not respond because they have happily moved on with their lives in Vietnam and have no desire to keep up with TVF. Besides, there's now a Vietnam forum, and if I were living there (or when I'm ready to go there) I'd likely gravitate to that one as it would be MUCH more appropriate than reading the same old whining and insults endemic with TVF.

I'm still trying to understand all the insulting and sarcastic comments aimed at people who plan to move to Vietnam or express positive interest in the place. I think that's really strange when it couldn't possibly have any effect on the people who are making such comments, yet they seem somehow offended by interest in Vietnam. As I've said before, my suspicion is that many of them are trapped here through personal or financial situations, and voicing their negativity about VN somehow makes them feel better about their own lot. I'm not assuming that's your particular situation, but your comment prompted me to wonder once again. 

Great reply, bk, sunny boy and madmen all seem to diss people that no longer find pattaya a desirable alternative to retire in. 

I stayed at seakite homestay in Danang for $13 US a night, tv, air, western washroom, fridge stocked with 45 cent beers.

full kitchen for the guests, top floor balcony, free laundry area etc. 

Daily cleaning, 5 minutes to a clean beach, and most important, clean air . People smiling and greeting me as I walked around. 

I actually felt welcomed.

On 9/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, thecyclist said:

Hotels are very cheap in Vietnam, and you often get discounts on long stays, especially monthly. I have been staying in hotels in Vietnam for 2 years now :have my regular places in cities I visit on a regular basis. Where in Thailand can you get a spotless room with cable TV, fridge, hot water and Air-con for as little as 10 USD? Saigon and especially Hanoi will be significantly more expensive than the rest of Vietnam, just like hotels in Central Bkk will be almost twice as much as you pay in the rest of Thailand (well Phuket and Hua Hin are pretty expensive too)

link thanks ??

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Great reply, bk, sunny boy and madmen all seem to diss people that no longer find pattaya a desirable alternative to retire in. 

I stayed at seakite homestay in Danang for $13 US a night, tv, air, western washroom, fridge stocked with 45 cent beers.

full kitchen for the guests, top floor balcony, free laundry area etc. 

Daily cleaning, 5 minutes to a clean beach, and most important, clean air . People smiling and greeting me as I walked around. 

I actually felt welcomed.

Could you padlock your door? Was there a latch on the door to use your own padlock? Great post Ron Jeremy. 

12 hours ago, Langkawee said:

I'm in Hanoi now if anyone knows hotels at $10 or less a night, or $100 to $200 a month in any location in Hanoi.

I stayed in Hanoi Panda, very close to the lake and beer street.

400bht for a triple aircon room, no windows, inc breakfast.

475bht for a double aircon room with balcony overlooking a bust street, in breakfast.

If you assume the bread roll, plain omelette, mixed fruit and Viet coffee was worth 50bht, it's approaching your budget.

This is the triple

It was good enough for me.

TV didn't work.

panda.jpg

If you want cheaper, I'd suggest get the train to Ninh Binh ($7), and stay around there very scenic around Tam Coc and loads of rooms available for around 200bht/night (in breakfast).

dong pagoda.jpg

27 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I stayed in Hanoi Panda, very close to the lake and beer street.

400bht for a triple aircon room, no windows, inc breakfast.

475bht for a double aircon room with balcony overlooking a bust street, in breakfast.

If you assume the bread roll, plain omelette, mixed fruit and Viet coffee was worth 50bht, it's approaching your budget.

This is the triple

It was good enough for me.

TV didn't work.

panda.jpg

If you want cheaper, I'd suggest get the train to Ninh Binh ($7), and stay around there very scenic around Tam Coc and loads of rooms available for around 200bht/night (in breakfast).

dong pagoda.jpg

Great post Britman too. Thank you.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It wont be a whole lot different + - $100 a month , not really worth worrying about

Thanks sanemax foe the fast replies, 

how about carrying $ cash to there, and opening a bank account in a local bank?

I heard that ATM machines there are not so efficient and often turned off, with limited withdraw amounts,

is this possible?  I am thinking to carry some extra $$ cash instead of using THai ATM there,, what advise?

7 hours ago, Langkawee said:

Great post Britman too. Thank you.

I got an air-con dorm, Meow Hostel, Hanoi Old Quarter, paid in cash 58,500 dong (77 baht) but booked on Agoda without debit card. Walk in rates are almost double at 100,000 dong. sitting upstairs in Circle K, 2 x 500ml ice cold German Becks beer cans 34,000 dong, 17,000 dong each. That's 22 baht a 500ml can.  

4 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

I got an air-con dorm, Meow Hostel, Hanoi Old Quarter, paid in cash 58,500 dong (77 baht) but booked on Agoda without debit card. Walk in rates are almost double at 100,000 dong. sitting upstairs in Circle K, 2 x 500ml ice cold Becks beer cans 34,000 dong, 17,000 dong each.

Is that the cheapest place to stay in the Whole World ?

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is that the cheapest place to stay in the Whole World ?

Not the cheapest. Don Det in Si Pan Don Laos (4000 islands), 20,000 kip 68 baht for your own bungalow (toilet shower outside), 10 years ago only 10,000 kip 34 baht. I wonder why I don't get along with Thai women 555 .... Surin city, Thailand used to pay 80 baht 7 years ago for single room in large hotel in city centre. Doubles were over 200. 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

It wont be a whole lot different + - $100 a month , not really worth worrying about

It's a matter of finding Vietnam's equivalent of Thailand's www.tee-pak.com where you can find apartments with ensuite toilet and shower on the outskirts of Bangkok for 1500 bath a month, or just walk around Saphan Mai in Bangkok. Vietnamese have told me in Hanoi apartments can be found for 1500 bath a month but not near lakes. They told me the lakes keep away the dust and this is why you pay much more to live near a lake. But it's all hearsay. Never heard of an apartment online cheaper than $300 USD a month in Hanoi. But I know you can get basic apartments in HCMC for $130, nowhere near Thai quality for same price. 

1 hour ago, lexlam said:

Thanks sanemax foe the fast replies, 

how about carrying $ cash to there, and opening a bank account in a local bank?

I heard that ATM machines there are not so efficient and often turned off, with limited withdraw amounts,

is this possible?  I am thinking to carry some extra $$ cash instead of using THai ATM there,, what advise?

Great rates for USD. If you are worried about getting scammed by money changers change your money at Lotte Mart, Center branch, very transparent money changing there with receipt given and great pizza for 30,000 dong. 

before you start becoming too comfortable in vietnam, reports are coming in of embassys only giving 1 month visas whereas before the would give 3 months no problem. so hold off on purchasing your transport, white goods, etc till we see how this pans out. 

what area in HCMC  can you get a non-dorm accommodation for 130usd/month. have look an a few occasions cant find anything that even comes close to that.

also note that hanoi starts to get real cold soon for months, too mudt so if you are thailand acclimatized. 

had a clean modern 10$/ night aircon tv single occupancy double ensuite hotel room with reasonable priced restaurant on ground floor  in coming up to winter (so didnt use the aircon) in central vietnam reasonable sized town, not telling as i may want to go back there again and dont want all  you unwashed christians bjorking the place, got too cold for me  so headed south

Archived