A cruel joke?

watgate

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

The higher than average PM2.5 readings around Chiang Mai in the past few weeks is due to burning off of lamyai tree cuttings. Same every year.

Lamyai is picked over the course of several weeks from late August through to mid-late September as the fruit ripens and reaches the optimum size. Once all the fruit has been harvested, the lamyai trees are cut back and that leaves alot of wood and alot more leaves that are left on the ground to dry for a few days. Then they are burned.

Drive anywhere near the lamyai orchards outside and around Chiang Mai in the past three weeks and you'll have seen many plumes of smoke everywhere as individual farmers burn off the cuttings. Nearly all done now.

Might be an understandable explanation for the 'early smoke'.

I think/know there are so many factors for the smog problem,

in Chiang Mai, Bangkok or elsewhere.

Btw, why don't use the

Smoke, Smog, Dust 2018 Chiang Maiforum?

It is working in 2019, 2020, ... too.

Wish posters would do some research before posting drivel

Smoke/Haze is not a totally Thailand-caused problem. There is no wall reaching the stratosphere to isolate air movement from other countries.

At its worst last year most was originating in other countries

Get your facts straight before posting nonsense

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Smoke/Haze is not a totally Thailand-caused problem. There is no wall reaching the stratosphere to isolate air movement from other countries.

AQICN website quite clearly shows Bangkok and several Thai cities having red stickers while surrounding area is in yellow or sometimes green. So the dirty air from China or Indonesia or India or ... wherever... goes straight up to stratosphere before being magically catapulted all in a steady stream straight into Thai cities.

image.png.0cf534ffe6d82ab22a4ee18d69425174.png

Please present your facts now (with evidence).

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

You’re drinking the kool-aid. There are website that show where the fires are in real time. At its worst Thailand was covered in blazes. Blaming the neighbors is an uneducated Thai move.

Just now, dcnx said:

You’re drinking the kool-aid. There are website that show where the fires are in real time. At its worst Thailand was covered in blazes. Blaming the neighbors is an uneducated Thai move.

I checked this kind of map last year. While it's true Thailand was covered with fire there was even more fire in Cambodia and Vietnam. The wind was then blowing it over Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Tayaout said:

I checked this kind of map last year. While it's true Thailand was covered with fire there was even more fire in Cambodia and Vietnam. The wind was then blowing it over Thailand. 

You can also find wind maps showing the airflow in the region. 

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

My 'Posting Drivel' comments stands - from the Wannabe Mensa members

There’s no arguing or debating someone who ignores scientific data.

Thailand is perfect for people who ignore reality.

Biggest secret about chiang mai and mae hong song is the retarded 'smokey season' mention it near a real estate developer and he will quickly change topic

Basically its uninhabitable for half the year because these moronic knuckle dragging backwards folk think they must burn down the rain forest to keep it clean

They actually think they need to clean the floor of dead leaves because its dirty. I have spoken with many locals and non of them knew what compost was or how plants get food

When rainy season comes the forest is really screwed and the water runs off the ground from all the burning and then floods them

But dont worry the thai engineers are possibly the only engineers in the world to build drains at the top of a hill! What an innovation! So the drain at the top of the hill obviously takes all the water and it doesnt run down the hill right? Of course not! But dont worry mai pen rai just a bit of water buddy

Soon as next year comes once the flooding is done they can burn some more trees because "fire fire oh wow big smokey i like so much amazing mister look i burning"

The whole area is never going to develop because they are hell bent on killing themselves maybe once they all have lung cancer and the housing market completely crashes then some sense may come

Only a couple years back a group went looking for truffles and lost control of a fire that nearly burnt down the city

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

AQICN website quite clearly shows Bangkok and several Thai cities having red stickers while surrounding area is in yellow or sometimes green. So the dirty air from China or Indonesia or India or ... wherever... goes straight up to stratosphere before being magically catapulted all in a steady stream straight into Thai cities.

image.png.0cf534ffe6d82ab22a4ee18d69425174.png

Please present your facts now (with evidence).

Dont know how you took this screenshot AQI shows much lower numbers in BKK and the gulf but I guess it was a real bad time 

Thank god for the sea air of phuket

2 hours ago, MartiniMan said:

Dont know how you took this screenshot AQI shows much lower numbers in BKK and the gulf but I guess it was a real bad time 

Thank god for the sea air of phuket

It was just a minute before I posted it from aqicn.org I think it the site, then chosen Bangkok, made map full screen and zoomed out. It was early this morning, but of course the figures change all the time so an hour later it would be different readings.

I read that the cold front that arrived in Thailand from China caused dust particles and other pollutants to be trapped in sort of an invisible ceiling which raised the numbers on the meters or gauges testing the air quality throughout Thailand. It kinda makes sense to me. Also today myself and my wife traveled north of Chiang Mai to farm country with many plantings and we only saw one smaller fire which told me the increase in pollution on the AQI Index is not being caused by any significant burning at this juncture.

7 hours ago, dcnx said:

There’s no arguing or debating someone who ignores scientific data.

And what 'scientific data' are you talking about ?

Spot readings are just that - one spot at one given time. Wait 5 minutes ...

For those who choose to research it is easy to find where it all comes from - Thailand does burn but not on a scale to cause such smoke/haze. This is thanks to other countries - some far away.

This is my point - spot readings are meaningless.

Want a definitive answer - spring for air sample analysis where the smog, NOX, DP, etc etc etc are separated and percentages given.

That is science - not this 'bone-in-the-nose' nonsense reputed to be 'science' posted either by the ignorant or those who think they are 'Green'

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And what 'scientific data' are you talking about ?

Spot readings are just that - one spot at one given time. Wait 5 minutes ...

For those who choose to research it is easy to find where it all comes from - Thailand does burn but not on a scale to cause such smoke/haze. This is thanks to other countries - some far away.

This is my point - spot readings are meaningless.

Want a definitive answer - spring for air sample analysis where the smog, NOX, DP, etc etc etc are separated and percentages given.

That is science - not this 'bone-in-the-nose' nonsense reputed to be 'science' posted either by the ignorant or those who think they are 'Green'

Ever seen a satellite fire map that supplies real time data? Thailand is usually just as on fire as anyone in the region when it’s time to burn. Sometimes more. That’s when they take to the media to blame Myanmar. I’m not sure if it’s because they can’t accept their own failures or they are just too stupid to know better. Probably a mix of the two.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:41 PM, Antonymous said:

Drive anywhere near the lamyai orchards outside and around Chiang Mai in the past three weeks and you'll have seen many plumes of smoke everywhere as individual farmers burn off the cuttings. Nearly all done now.

Your post is correct.  I live out in Lamphun province where there are endless orchards.  From my experience thought the burning continues into the cool season...... not every orchard burns at the same time.

Way to go Thailand! It’s 90 today and rising despite the rain. 

It’s as if a some smoke cues all the idiots to start burning because our entire area was covered in smoke last night from houses burning. The smell was so bad we had to put towels under our already sealed doors  in an attempt to keep some of it out. Two air purifiers running around the clock now.

Even in Amsterdam it is like 35 on average, saying you have to move to coastal remote areas to get clean air must be the biggest nonsense.
Stating yellow is fine, is <deleted> too. It is not, it is just the happiness of still being better than orange, red, purple etc. 

Hovering just at 50-60 could be said to be acceptable but heading to 80 and above IS NOT.
Anyway, it seems that it is better to leave Asia entirely if looking for cleaner air nowadays... Otherwise the South is still quite good on average, yearly.

On 9/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, dcnx said:

Way to go Thailand! It’s 90 today and rising despite the rain. 

It’s as if a some smoke cues all the idiots to start burning because our entire area was covered in smoke last night from houses burning. The smell was so bad we had to put towels under our already sealed doors  in an attempt to keep some of it out. Two air purifiers running around the clock now.

156 at around 18:00 last night near San Phi Suea! The air was awful last night.

On 9/25/2019 at 8:22 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Rice is harvested in the fall...burn fields after 1st of year...someone could be cleaning off debris to plant a new area...or burning some fields other than rice fields...

It is all bad...I know...causes me lots of problems...

could be corn fields being burnt, I saw some yesterday being burnt while driving into Chiang Rai along the river route, road 4301.  These are smallish plots, and the stubble being burned is about 12 inches tall as the stalks have been collected already after harvesting, so not much smoke is being generated.  I don't know how this is done in CM area, here is flat ground and easy to harvest the corn and stalks.

53 minutes ago, elektrified said:

156 at around 18:00 last night near San Phi Suea! The air was awful last night.

do you have your own meter to read the AQI ?   If so,  what kind and where did you buy/cost   thx, rumak

2 hours ago, rumak said:

do you have your own meter to read the AQI ?   If so,  what kind and where did you buy/cost   thx, rumak

We have a couple. The smallest one was around 3000b. the brand is Mi. The largest one was around 5000b. They clean the air and give you a reading. Probably the best money I’ve ever spent in Thailand. They are for sale at most malls as Lazada.

Archived